Bullock

MW needs 30+ carries a game. You say those runs would be TDs with another back in there, but you are way off. The only reason MW made it to the next level downfield was breaking tackles and making guys miss at the first level. Bullock doesn't seem to have that ability, at least from what I have seen. I think Bullock should still get some touches, but MW should get the bulk of the carries.

The main reason MW is getting to the second level consistently is the Oline. They are opening huge holes especially on the right with Scherff and Tobin.

And Bullock has certainly shown he can make people miss and he brings the ability to cut back against the grain.

look at us talking about how we are going to get touches for all our running backs. lol. MW will be our primary, Bullock a close secondary with lineups in the slot, possibly with some 2 back sets. I see MW getting about 20-25 carries, Bullock 10-15 and a couple pass looks, and Garmon 1-3 carries per game. Any success we have this year will be predicated on the Oline staying consistant a getting a little better, because without a solid run game to set up the pass...and not getting behind in downs...it will be tough to have any passing success (without huge improvements). Run game strong, balance with about a 60/40 split.

Complete side note...I would like to see just a touch of really tight bump and run man to man just a couple times a game...

Another completed unrelated thought...as much as JVB has looked well below average...I think he is a confidence man. With a strong run game and quicker starts with points I truly believe he will be better.

Random thoughts from the peanut gallery.

Passing game< Average

Yes. Thisl year, Iowa will have to have a great rushing attack, a solid defense, and good special teams to have a shot at winning.

I HOPE that somehow we will be able to take advantage of defenses who throw repeated cb blitzes and show 8-9 man fronts.

Before he got knocked on the noggin they were trying to find ways to get Bullock into space. He runs well with a little room and we already know he is a decent receiver. The most obvious thing would be to have him start up where he left off, but this time more as a change of pace RB. In the short term they might even dig up a few plays out of the old offensive playbook that Bullock may be already familiar with.

Last edited:
Our running game will get stronger each week. With players coming back from injuries, we could be dangerous. The OL is playing very well and you have to believe that will continue and they will also improve. This passing game will get on track. This bye week is crucial.

You mean like when Iowa brought in Garmon during drives yesterday? Pretty sure we will start Bullock/Garmon between the 30's more often...

Only when Weisman was actually tired. KF and staff have proven not to substitute RBs based on situation, field position or hot hand quite well over the last 14 years. Sorry if I remain skeptical on that one for now.

MW needs 30+ carries a game. You say those runs would be TDs with another back in there, but you are way off. The only reason MW made it to the next level downfield was breaking tackles and making guys miss at the first level. Bullock doesn't seem to have that ability, at least from what I have seen. I think Bullock should still get some touches, but MW should get the bulk of the carries.

There were many runs yesterday where he went untouched well into the 2nd level. Re-watch the game.

Only when Weisman was actually tired. KF and staff have proven not to substitute RBs based on situation, field position or hot hand quite well over the last 14 years. Sorry if I remain skeptical on that one for now.

In the past KF has preffered letting an inexperience RB settle into things a bit. Being a third down RB requires a certain mindset. You have to effective from the get go. Than you are on the bench again. I'm not sure if Bullock is ready for that role. I do think he brings a different set of tools than Weisman and it's up to the coaches to exploit that.

There were many runs yesterday where he went untouched well into the 2nd level. Re-watch the game.

I agree with this, but there were also many times that he was able to throw guys down to the ground or just run right through the tackle for a few extra yards.

Weisman is a BEAST, but is still human. He needs to share the load in order to maintain his health and make it through the season healthy especially once we start playing decent B1G teams. I like him getting alot of reps but bigger, faster, and better defenses are on the horizon.

Well I know this is a Bullock thread, but everyone is talking about all the backs, so lets not forget JC who was thrown in an outmatched bowl game last year and played with as much heart as anyone could. Cant recall off hand his speed, but I think he was pretty fast. I dont know how they work it, but you are going to have to run a three back system. This also helps incase someone gets dinged.

We have to use Bullock as more than a backup when he comes back. Weisman is great, and should continue to be the back that gets the most carries, but Bullock has shown a lot this year too, and has key skills requiring him to see the field for just as many snaps, chief among those being his great hands in the recieving game.

And Damon is not just a third-down back, especially not in this system. Anyone else notice the number of wheel routes we've been throwing to the RB in GD's system? That's a potent play that works with Damon, and doesn't work at a high enough clip with Weisman or Garmon. Furthermore, Damon is a legitimate threat when we split the RB out wide (as we did several times last game even with Weisman being no more than a glorified decoy). Damon needs snaps.

We are on our bye week. I predict by the time MSU rolls around we will run 10 plays with both guys on the field. I love the Cotton emergence, and am excited about our TE future, but right now our best offensive 11 includes two RBs.

Latest posts