BTN

gordonearl

It looks like we are going to miss some Hawk NC games again. The schedule shows 6 games that are only on BTN.com. I have heard this may change. I suppose they will let Mediascum carry them. I have read all but one of Indiana's games will be on the BTN. When the BTN started we were led to believe all the games would be carried. Last year when this happened I tried to contact Barta and the BTN for an explanation. I could not get through to either.

It does really suck that all the Iowa games are not on TV. Are not all the games at least streamed on the BTN.com?

It's just the way it is when your program has become totally irrelevant both nationally and in the Big Ten for 4 or 5 years.

Speaking of--i thought someone said BTN is going to carry tonight's festivities? I just checked the guide and it says nothing...

Last edited:
How many years do we have to have someone ***** about this? It is what it is and the games they aren't showing won't be very good games anyway (or they better not be anyway).

How many years do we have to have someone ***** about this? It is what it is and the games they aren't showing won't be very good games anyway (or they better not be anyway).

Many of us aren't willing to sit idle and go down without being heard. It probably won't change anything, but it might. It certainly wouldn't change if we said nothing.

The facts are from 1985-2006 every single Iowa basketball game was televised except for a handful of tournament games in Alaska, Hawaii, etc. Since BTN started in 2007, roughly 50% of the non conference games are untelevised and available only on low quality Internet streams that cost $10/month. That is going backward not forward, which is unacceptable to many fans.

And I don't really care if you don't think the games will be good, I just want to watch my team play. Whether that is against Texas Pan American or Iowa State.

Speaking of--i thought someone said BTN is going to carry tonight's festivities? I just checked the guide and it says nothing...

It's on the BTN Digital Network. Which is the $10/month subscription you can order to get the low quality Internet streams I was referring to in my other post. Unfortunately this is where many of the actual non-conf games will be seen too.

Many of us aren't willing to sit idle and go down without being heard. It probably won't change anything, but it might. It certainly wouldn't change if we said nothing.

The facts are from 1985-2006 every single Iowa basketball game was televised except for a handful of tournament games in Alaska, Hawaii, etc. Since BTN started in 2007, roughly 50% of the non conference games are untelevised and available only on low quality Internet streams that cost $10/month. That is going backward not forward, which is unacceptable to many fans.

And I don't really care if you don't think the games will be good, I just want to watch my team play. Whether that is against Texas Pan American or Iowa State.

Actually the facts are from 1985 to 2006 every game was televised in IOWA, there are a lot of people outside the state that now get to see every Big Ten game and most non conference games that they didn't get to see in years past. So it is moving forward and not backwards.

It is what 6 games? Every fing year someone cries like a baby about this. Get your *** to Carver if you want to see them beat up on some sister of the poor.

I gladly look past my self interest, and am happy that Hawkeye fans all over the country get to see 26 or 27 of Iowa's 32 or 33 games. Iowa has a great fan base, and I am glad that they get to see the majority of the Hawkeye games, because of the BTN.

Hawk fans in Iowa do have to sacrifice 6 non conference games for this arrangement. I personally pay $20 to Hawkeyesports (benefits UI athletics) to watch these games. If you don't want to pay anything, then listen on the radio, or find an illegal stream. If you can't get to Carver, you do have these options.

It does suck that the local affiliates cannot pick up these handful of games and air them. You would think the BTN could make more money on that then what subscription fees they collect from a handful of people that pay for it online. But if online is the only way to get it then at least they should put these games online with a decent resolution through BTN2GO. Last weekend I had the Purdue/Wisconsin game playing on my ipad and it looked good. Why can't they do that for untelevised basketball games?

Actually the facts are from 1985 to 2006 every game was televised in IOWA, there are a lot of people outside the state that now get to see every Big Ten game and most non conference games that they didn't get to see in years past. So it is moving forward and not backwards.

From about 1998 to 2006 there was something called ESPN Full Court that allowed people outside of Iowa to get the games, even the non conference games. So we have gone backwards.

It's unfortunate. And I love the "get your @ss to Carver" crowd. There are people like my parents who live over 2 hours away and don't drive much. There is no chance for them to watch these games. Hell they can barely get on Google let alone sift through the horrific interface the BTN Digital Network offers up.

From about 1998 to 2006 there was something called ESPN Full Court that allowed people outside of Iowa to get the games, even the non conference games. So we have gone backwards.

It's unfortunate. And I love the "get your @ss to Carver" crowd. There are people like my parents who live over 2 hours away and don't drive much. There is no chance for them to watch these games. Hell they can barely get on Google let alone sift through the horrific interface the BTN Digital Network offers up.

So paying $150 to get ESPN full court is better than paying $20 to get 6 games online?

I consider BTN a HUGE step forward for the UI athletic department, and the Big10. National audiences,fan bases around the country can watch. Are there a couple things that aren't as ideal for people living in Iowa? Sure, but I will gladly pay $20 a year to get 6 games online so that Iowa fans out of state get 80% of the games.

So paying $150 to get ESPN full court is better than paying $20 to get 6 games online?

I consider BTN a HUGE step forward for the UI athletic department, and the Big10. National audiences,fan bases around the country can watch. Are there a couple things that aren't as ideal for people living in Iowa? Sure, but I will gladly pay $20 a year to get 6 games online so that Iowa fans out of state get 80% of the games.

I used to pay nothing for these games and could watch them on my TV. So yeah, I would rather not pay $20 to watch low quality Internet streams.

You are missing the big picture. Why do you think Iowa has such a strong basketball tradition? And such a passionate fan base? In large, it's because Iowa basketball was ALWAYS on! You didn't see Iowa State but a couple of times per year. The old folks and young kids across the state could sit down and watch KGAN or KDSM and get the Hawks twice a week. You are now seeing over half the non conference go untelevised. There's the saying, out of sight, out of mind.

Besides, I'm not arguing against the good the BTN brings. I love it that I can see Illinois vs. Indiana on a Wednesday night on BTN in January. My point is that in today's world, how on earth is it acceptable to have WAY LESS TV coverage than the previous 25 years brought? There is no good reason to not have the best of both worlds here. These games could easily be allowed for broadcast by KGAN or KDSM again or on a BTN Alternate Channel. Or at least on BTN2GO which many nationwide get with their regular subscription. It needs to get better.

I used to pay nothing for these games and could watch them on my TV. So yeah, I would rather not pay $20 to watch low quality Internet streams.

You are missing the big picture. Why do you think Iowa has such a strong basketball tradition? And such a passionate fan base? In large, it's because Iowa basketball was ALWAYS on! You didn't see Iowa State but a couple of times per year. The old folks and young kids across the state could sit down and watch KGAN or KDSM and get the Hawks twice a week. You are now seeing over half the non conference go untelevised. There's the saying, out of sight, out of mind.

Besides, I'm not arguing against the good the BTN brings. I love it that I can see Illinois vs. Indiana on a Wednesday night on BTN in January. My point is that in today's world, how on earth is it acceptable to have WAY LESS TV coverage than the previous 25 years brought? There is no good reason to not have the best of both worlds here. These games could easily be allowed for broadcast by KGAN or KDSM again or on a BTN Alternate Channel. Or at least on BTN2GO which many nationwide get with their regular subscription. It needs to get better.

National coverage of Iowa BB is Way, way, way up. How is this out of sight, out of mind? When Iowa is relevant again, these games will be picked up, and when we start scheduling better opponents the games will be carried.

The only down side to the coverage now is that 6 very, very weak non conference games will have to be watched online, listened to on the radio, or seen in person. Very small price to pay ($20 whole dollars) for all the benefits the BTN bring for the university. I personably just don't get all the complaining about it. If you don't want to pony up $20, then listen for free on the radio.

Latest posts