BTN vs SEC Network podcast

A big reason the BTN came about was because TV money ESPN offered to the B1G was horribly low. It was when B1G and SEC were neck and neck. They couldn't pair with ESPN because they were the main reason for the seperation.

ESPN came to the BTN and was wanting more games and were thinking of creating another ESPN channel...and Delany thought 'Let's do it ourselves'

"For games"

This is clearly the thing that Deace doesn't understand. The rest of the country isn't going to be watching SEC gymnastics like he was. Nobody cares about the filler programs. Hell even ESPN struggles to get people to watch shows on their networks during the day (and is why they just run sportscenter non stop).

People will watch the SEC network and the BTN for the games. That is where the ratings and all the money is coming from not some stupid studio show with Tim Tebow.

These networks weren't started because of all of the great programming that was available it was to get rights to the LIVE games that advertisers know are about the only thing people don't DVR and watch later and that is Live sporting events.

It's Football GAMES, Men's basketball GAMES, and I would guess to a lesser extent SEC Baseball GAMES. The rest is crap and makes no difference what you put on.

This. The only question that remains is how the TV broadcasts will compare. I’d guess the SEC’s will be top notch, but I don’t have any issues with BTN’s. The top matchups will be on ESPN/ABC anyway.

This. The only question that remains is how the TV broadcasts will compare. I’d guess the SEC’s will be top notch, but I don’t have any issues with BTN’s. The top matchups will be on ESPN/ABC anyway.

What about Women's basketball? WTH...those games are really exciting as long as you can find something to do for about 5 minutes between the rebound and the finish on a fast break. I usually feed the dog, check my email, and maybe make a sandwich...and get back just in time to see the lift these girls get in taking it almost to the net.

I care about the SEC and their network about 0.0000. I plan on watching it about 0.02. The less I can hear Gary Danielson wax poetically about Nick Saban and the vaunted D Coordinator Kirby Smart who cannot land a head coaching job the better.

Oh yes and the Finebaum character. Has anyone taken a look at this guy? He looks like he might have been the 2nd string water boy on the 8th grade team. Really this is your key spokesmen. I do not get it.

I am a B1G guy all the way and that is where I have and will spend my time. Can the BTN improve? Yes. Should the BTN improve? Yes. But I am sure glad there is a BTN.

The SEC and BT Networks are NOT in competition with each other. Why are we even bothering with this...Deace should stick to reading phonebooks on public radio.

To support Deace a bit....somebody (ESPN, SI, Tribune) will inevitably compare the two products this year, affirming what he's said.

Then ultimately the nonsensical extrapolation will occur where the SEC FB >> B1G FB since the SEC TV >> B1G TV.

With that said, I completely agree. Fan bases aren't going to watch the others' product. No biggie.

And with that stated, man, that CYTV channel, in all of its analog glory, is an eye-bleeder to watch.

Last edited:
The BTN needs improvement, but Deace spent the whole podcast screaming that it looked worse than cable access, and the graphics were from 1986, etc. As usual, he has to include intellectual dishonesty to his argument, which is generally a sign of how weak his thinks his argument is.

Its production looks the same as Fox/FS1. Good, but not great. Fox NFL Football has had those stupid friggin robots for a decade.

The production and graphics aren't as good as ESPN, but he exaggerated by a factor of 10, because he is Deace.

I think Deace nailed it on the head with this podcast. The production value between the 2 companies can't be compared. It is high school cable access vs ESPN. To those who say the SEC is a football conference only and nobody will watch in the offseason.....Well, in the SEC there is no football offseason, that region is college football 365 days of the year. Just listen to the Finebaum show, it's year round smack talk of college football fans calling in. The SEC's demographic is SEC fans, and they will watch football related programming on the network year round (and they do have 2 massive basketball powerhouses in Kentucky and Florida). And Finebaum may not be enjoyed by midwesterners, but he is HUGE in the south. He has a very successful show and it will be even more successful on the network, again, they aren't targeting B1G fans here.

I hope BTN learns something this year and at least puts more effort into making the BTN a respectable TV product that can proudly stand next to the SEC Network. BTN hasn't changed since day 1, and if you can't evolve over 8 years then you have a problem (kinda sounds like Football doesn't it?).

Latest posts