BTN PSU Special...

JHHawk

I was scrolling around the tv last nite and noticed a BTN PSU Special listed,and flipped to it. It was probably a rebroadcast from earlier in the nite,but this was after 11 oclock last nite.

I only caught the last 35 minutes or so of an hour special,but they had Dinardo,Griffin and Revsine in the studio, analyzing the situation.

They covered the Freeh presser,and opined on the future of PSU football.
They had their usual SI college football reporter,Staples,who was strong.
He was one outside reporter who made the case that the NCAA will not do much of anything due to their lack of juridstiction in crimimal matters of this sort.

I know that some outside media have hammered the BTN for lack of coverage,but they are not a new organization,and not built for spontaneous coverage of news events like this. It was an effort to at least address it,but they did keep it on the down-low, with no real promotion of it...not surprising.

Bottom line, Dinard and Griffin agreed that PSU football will survive,as will the university. The culprits are gone,the settlements will be paid,the changes will be made, but in the end, the games will go on. I agree.

I was scrolling around the tv last nite and noticed a BTN PSU Special listed,and flipped to it. It was probably a rebroadcast from earlier in the nite,but this was after 11 oclock last nite.

I only caught the last 35 minutes or so of an hour special,but they had Dinardo,Griffin and Revsine in the studio, analyzing the situation.

They covered the Freeh presser,and opined on the future of PSU football.
They had their usual SI college football reporter,Staples,who was strong.
He was one outside reporter who made the case that the NCAA will not do much of anything due to their lack of juridstiction in crimimal matters of this sort.

I know that some outside media have hammered the BTN for lack of coverage,but they are not a new organization,and not built for spontaneous coverage of news events like this. It was an effort to at least address it,but they did keep it on the down-low, with no real promotion of it...not surprising.

Bottom line, Dinard and Griffin agreed that PSU football will survive,as will the university. The culprits are gone,the settlements will be paid,the changes will be made, but in the end, the games will go on. I agree.

ON ESPN Bottom Line ticker, say item that B1G/Pac 12 series is "called off". I think it is time PSU is gone from B1G.

Big Ten/Pac 12 was cancelled yesterday,as there were Pac 12 schools against it all along due to their conference schedule including 9 conference games. Unrelated to anything else.

Well BTN made a big mistake announcing that they were not going to cover this since they were focused on sports. This entire case is all about sport, in particular football. This made the BTN look like they were trying to avoid any negative feedback from Penn State by not covering this. It appears they have reconsidered and have done the right thing. The BTN should have been able to cover this in ways no one else could have.

Well BTN made a big mistake announcing that they were not going to cover this since they were focused on sports. This entire case is all about sport, in particular football. This made the BTN look like they were trying to avoid any negative feedback from Penn State by not covering this. It appears they have reconsidered and have done the right thing. The BTN should have been able to cover this in ways no one else could have.

You realize that PSU is part owner of the BTN,right?
I think the BTN is in a very difficult position here.
They are not a news organization,and while there is football coaches involved in this scandal, it is not a standard sports story.

ESPN,and the news outlets are providing all the coverage people need to get the facts.
BTN is an entertainment network,specifically designed to promote Big Ten schools and sports,so a scandal of this sort has to be handled differently than an unbiased new organization.

Yes, I understand that but they are only 1 of 12 schools and the BTN should be all about news concerning the Big Ten even if it is bad.

The BTN is a spin machine for the conference. Basically just a big advertisement. They are not a credible news source, nor are they even a very good sports station. They are just another avenue to watch games that might not be available via other channels.

Because they are a spin machine, they offer no real meaningful insight. Seriously, beyond giving us a place to watch games they suck.

Accordingly, expecting any significant insight from them regarding this issue is silly.

The BTN is a spin machine for the conference. Basically just a big advertisement. They are not a credible news source, nor are they even a very good sports station. They are just another avenue to watch games that might not be available via other channels.

Because they are a spin machine, they offer no real meaningful insight. Seriously, beyond giving us a place to watch games they suck.

Accordingly, expecting any significant insight from them regarding this issue is silly.

Isn't this true of every sports channel,including ESPN,ComCast Sports, ect?

The games are good,but is any of the rest of it really important?

Isn't this true of every sports channel,including ESPN,ComCast Sports, ect?

The games are good,but is any of the rest of it really important?

As much as we can complain about the SEC spin on ESPN, they do some decent reporting on programs such as Outside the Lines.

Well BTN made a big mistake announcing that they were not going to cover this

I agree that they made a mistake in saying that the reason they didn't pick up and air the Freeh report presser was because they are not a news organization.

I think they've aired coaching press conferences before. I think they'll air live coverage from the Big Ten kickoff event in two weeks.

They could have said they didn't have logistics in place to cut into the live feed Thursday, but they needed to be talking about it on the network Thursday night. They did so on Friday night, so I think you can give them a pass on it..but their statement initially was a bit weak.

Even if all they did Thurs was bring on people outside the family, like Staples, etc, and let them do the heavy lifting..that is how you can criticize 'the familia' without doing it yourself.

I agree that they made a mistake in saying that the reason they didn't pick up and air the Freeh report presser was because they are not a news organization.

I think they've aired coaching press conferences before. I think they'll air live coverage from the Big Ten kickoff event in two weeks.

They could have said they didn't have logistics in place to cut into the live feed Thursday, but they needed to be talking about it on the network Thursday night. They did so on Friday night, so I think you can give them a pass on it..but their statement initially was a bit weak.

Even if all they did Thurs was bring on people outside the family, like Staples, etc, and let them do the heavy lifting..that is how you can criticize 'the familia' without doing it yourself.

Sounds like they were trying to distance themselves from it, but when it blew up and everything hit the fan they had to backtrack and had no choice.

This post is packed with truth.
Nice job, CAAAAR.

BTN is parochial hackery at it's worst. Their failure to carry the Freeh presser live was confirmation in spades.

Yeah, of course Penn State football will survive. It just better not survive to participate in this season at the very least.

Delany and NCAA...you're on the legitimacy litmus test clock. Choose wisely.

The special surprised me too. They were tactful but did not mince words on how terrible this situation is and how it has ruined Paterno's legacy. This surprised me a little because many others are still trying to convince people that the good Paterno did should be weighed against the evil. As one of the announcers said, there is no comparison between winning football games and bringing in revenue versus covering up sex abuse.

Latest posts