BTN plus

Hawkfnntn

What's everyones 2 cents on this? I think it's stupid that they don't televise these early season games on the regular BTN network and put em on BTN plus.. If they want to drum up support and hype for the season don't be putting games on these stupid apps to watch on phones. The fact they charge ya more for that is just a kick to the balls. The BTNs primary ratings (along with most stations I would think) come from live sports. And their 2 large live sport money makers are football and basketball. Obviously you pick football over basketball if they overlap but when they don't what on earth are you showing instead? Give us what we want and that's the games. That's the why I have the BTN to begin with and I would assume everyone else.

I signed for BiG+ last night and tried to pull up the Women's game and it wouldn't come on. I see they are showing a replay fo the women's game on the site today. They only showed the second half... I hope the Mens game tonight has no surprises....

What's everyones 2 cents on this? I think it's stupid that they don't televise these early season games on the regular BTN network and put em on BTN plus.. If they want to drum up support and hype for the season don't be putting games on these stupid apps to watch on phones. The fact they charge ya more for that is just a kick to the balls. The BTNs primary ratings (along with most stations I would think) come from live sports. And their 2 large live sport money makers are football and basketball. Obviously you pick football over basketball if they overlap but when they don't what on earth are you showing instead? Give us what we want and that's the games. That's the why I have the BTN to begin with and I would assume everyone else.
Why on earth would anybody watch a basketball game on a phone in the first place?

I find the frequent technical difficulties with BTN+ very frustrating.
We missed the first 5 minutes of Friday's game and I remember an incident a few years ago where we missed about the first 13 minutes of a game on BTN+.
If they're going to charge extra for those games then BTN needs to ensure the infrastructure is in place not to have these issues.
I recall when I contacted them a few years ago about that incident they replied that the fault was on Iowa's end, that the campus was having internet issues. They said they would not be issuing any kind of refunds.

I pay for ESPN+ and have never had the coverage issues with them that seems to happen frequently with BTN+. It's bush league

We missed the first 5 minutes of Friday's game and I remember an incident a few years ago where we missed about the first 13 minutes of a game on BTN+.
If they're going to charge extra for those games then BTN needs to ensure the infrastructure is in place not to have these issues.
I recall when I contacted them a few years ago about that incident they replied that the fault was on Iowa's end, that the campus was having internet issues. They said they would not be issuing any kind of refunds.

I pay for ESPN+ and have never had the coverage issues with them that seems to happen frequently with BTN+. It's bush league
BTN+ has never been a good streaming service, but it is way better than it used to be. Having retired and not being a football fan, I got BTN+ earlier than usual this year to watch Hawkeye volleyball. (A side issue here is that Barta dumped a good coach since she couldn't make the Hawks as good as established programs in a very tough league in 3 challenging years, and he dumped her during the season). As of a few matches ago, I was getting a feed with no commentary and no scores. I contacted BTN+ and they blamed my devices, told me to do all sorts of stuff. Last night's match suddenly was just fine. I will say that in the Xtream Arena the quality of the picture has been outstanding, and the commentary and scores were back for last night's UW match. I hope the video in Carver is just as good for the pre-season games on +. I don't mind the $10 per month, but will dump streaming as soon as the games are on cable, meaning BTN etc.

BTN+ has never been a good streaming service, but it is way better than it used to be. Having retired and not being a football fan, I got BTN+ earlier than usual this year to watch Hawkeye volleyball. (A side issue here is that Barta dumped a good coach since she couldn't make the Hawks as good as established programs in a very tough league in 3 challenging years, and he dumped her during the season). As of a few matches ago, I was getting a feed with no commentary and no scores. I contacted BTN+ and they blamed my devices, told me to do all sorts of stuff. Last night's match suddenly was just fine. I will say that in the Xtream Arena the quality of the picture has been outstanding, and the commentary and scores were back for last night's UW match. I hope the video in Carver is just as good for the pre-season games on +. I don't mind the $10 per month, but will dump streaming as soon as the games are on cable, meaning BTN etc.

Youtube Tv is a viable option to cable

Less expensive by a long shot

All you need is an internet connection

I used to have Mediacom, and dropped the cable and kept the internet service
Until they raised the price for internet from $80 a month to $120 a month
Called CenturyLink and got 1G internet for $60 a month for life

CenturyLink Internet is much better than Mediacom internet
Superior Video and Audio

What do you think of ESPN+? What kind of stuff do you use it for?

Called CenturyLink and got 1G internet for $60 a month for life
I wish I could do this. Unfortunately CenturyLink maxes out at 60/5 for me in Iowa City, and they said they have zero plans to upgrade anything to fiber in a market as small as Iowa City. Just waiting for ImOn's sweet sweet fiber to make it to my house...

I wish I could do this. Unfortunately CenturyLink maxes out at 60/5 for me in Iowa City, and they said they have zero plans to upgrade anything to fiber in a market as small as Iowa City. Just waiting for ImOn's sweet sweet fiber to make it to my house...

As usual money is the bottom line for big business

If you can wait, there are outer space options coming from Musk and Bezos

I just think it's stupid that BTN does that. Their main platform is in place to show live sports. The $ making live sports they have are football and hoops. They should be airing damn near every game they have the rights to. To have this on the side way of sticking people and making it inconveinent really sucks. Not to mention it not working very well with 2nd tier everything all the way down to the announcers is just just cheap.

Honest question...Why would anyone in a residential setting need 1G? I'm at 75/10 and I can run multiple 4k feeds and stream anything else I need at the same time. I can download an entire movie in like 3 minutes.

I mean I get it that some people want an 800 horsepower car just because, and that they'll never take it over 85 MPH, but to me if you aren't doing a bunch of file transferring for a business use then anything over 100 is never even close to being tapped out.

If this thread refers to BTN plus news concerning the upcoming Bball season

Here is an article that covers things quite well

[/URL]

These games are going to be interesting:

Top five November nonconference games​

1. UCLA vs. Gonzaga in Las Vegas (Nov. 23). A rematch of April’s riveting national semifinal, it’s part of a huge week for Gonzaga in Sin City. Three days later, Mark Few’s team will face Duke.
2. Texas at Gonzaga (Nov. 13); 3. Duke vs. Gonzaga in Las Vegas (Nov. 26); 4. Villanova at UCLA (Nov. 12); 5. Duke vs. Kentucky in New York (Nov. 9)

Gotta give the Zags credit for not playing an easy pre-conference schedule

Duke vs Kentucky might be an interesting game

CJ and all

Honest question...Why would anyone in a residential setting need 1G? I'm at 75/10 and I can run multiple 4k feeds and stream anything else I need at the same time. I can download an entire movie in like 3 minutes.

I mean I get it that some people want an 800 horsepower car just because, and that they'll never take it over 85 MPH, but to me if you aren't doing a bunch of file transferring for a business use then anything over 100 is never even close to being tapped out.
You sure they're all 4k? 4k generally requires 15-25Mbps of bandwidth for a single stream. If you're running multiple, you don't have much wiggle room.

For me, with both the wife and I working from home on video calls, multiple TVs, tablets, phones, gaming, etc., I've found that the 60/5 I was able to get from CenturyLink wasn't cutting it. I don't necessarily need 1Gbps, but you're also not actually getting the top speed you pay for. It's more of "up to this amount". We also do a fair amount of picture/video uploading, and the only way to get higher upload speeds is to increase your download speeds or move to business-class internet, where the price jumps 3-5x.

You sure they're all 4k? 4k generally requires 15-25Mbps of bandwidth for a single stream. If you're running multiple, you don't have much wiggle room.

For me, with both the wife and I working from home on video calls, multiple TVs, tablets, phones, gaming, etc., I've found that the 60/5 I was able to get from CenturyLink wasn't cutting it. I don't necessarily need 1Gbps, but you're also not actually getting the top speed you pay for. It's more of "up to this amount". We also do a fair amount of picture/video uploading, and the only way to get higher upload speeds is to increase your download speeds or move to business-class internet, where the price jumps 3-5x.
I have four TVs in my house; two of them 4k, and 2 of them 1080. To test things out when I got the 4k TVs I ran two 4k streams of Netflix, 2 1080 streams, and my kid and I both streamed YouTube videos on our phones which actually top out at 720 on the phones. 75mbps download speed at our house and it ran everything. Could still do normal web browsing with no hiccups at all.

I will say though that I live in a rural area in a small town. My speed is always 76-77 mbps when I run a speed test. I have never had a situation where I'm paying for 75 and I only get 55 or 60 or whatever. Our provider has lots of capacity headroom. It might be different in a more dense urban area with a national provider.

I think people vastly overestimate the speed they need in their homes.