BTN non-conference games

westview

Does anyone know if the BTN will carry all of the Iowa non-conference games? The first year they carried all the games. Last year they did not. What really ticked me off was letting Mediascum have the games they did not carry. The first year the BTN did not have a contract with Mediascum. A great many people went to Dish or Direct. What slap in the face to let Mediascum have those nc games.

Actually,since the BTN took over, they have never shown all the Iowa non-conference games. Over here in Chicago we have seen only a handful(maybe half) of the non-conference games since BTN came in. It is my only major gripe with the BTN.
They bail on the overload channels once football is over so they can only show one big ten team at a time in bb season. Once conference play begins, they schedule around it,but in non-conference, coverage is bad.

I am sure that it will be much like last year. The will put the lesser quality games on BTN.com and you will have to pay a couple dollars to watch a broken broadcast of the game. They claimed last year that they only pay to have the overflow channels that they offer during football season, so they could not air two games at once during the basketball season. That really didnt make any sense to me since the basketball season starts while the football season is still going on, so those channels would seem to be available.

This is correct...

Actually,since the BTN took over, they have never shown all the Iowa non-conference games. Over here in Chicago we have seen only a handful(maybe half) of the non-conference games since BTN came in. It is my only major gripe with the BTN.
They bail on the overload channels once football is over so they can only show one big ten team at a time in bb season. Once conference play begins, they schedule around it,but in non-conference, coverage is bad.

it is the only item about the BTN that I do not care for. The sheer volume of non-conference games for each school that start at roughly the same time makes it impossible to show the games without the overflow channels. They have done the math I'm sure on whether or not they could make it profitable.

i hated this part about BTN too. I don't mind them not showing all the games, but medaicom picks up the left overs, and we non medaicom ppl get left out. Why not let the channels like KDSM who used to carry all non network games to central iowa, carry the BTN games? If they would go back to the old Iowa network for all those games, it would ensure more ppl watching the games then mediacom games.

Mediascum fought the BTN over rights and know gets the nc games. This is a poor way to treat people who went to dishes.

Prairie View A&M was the only Iowa home game not available via cable/dish last year. It was only available on bigtennetwork.com. The other two games - ISU and UNI, Big Ten Network has zero control over because the home team has the rights to broadcast (that's why it was only on mediacom/online for UNI and only on CTN for the Cyclone game). The other two games earlier on were on ESPNU, which is carried by almost all cable/dish networks.

So, really, there was only 1 game not televised last year on cable/dish.

I still don't get the uproar about the BTN in regards to basketball. I'd love to see the overflow channels utilized, but the $$ just isn't there like it is for football.

... now I can't wait to hear the "when I was young, all Iowa games were on TV", which is completely false.

Prairie View A&M was the only Iowa home game not available via cable/dish last year. It was only available on bigtennetwork.com. The other two games - ISU and UNI, Big Ten Network has zero control over because the home team has the rights to broadcast (that's why it was only on mediacom/online for UNI and only on CTN for the Cyclone game). The other two games earlier on were on ESPNU, which is carried by almost all cable/dish networks.

So, really, there was only 1 game not televised last year on cable/dish.

I still don't get the uproar about the BTN in regards to basketball. I'd love to see the overflow channels utilized, but the $$ just isn't there like it is for football.

... now I can't wait to hear the "when I was young, all Iowa games were on TV", which is completely false.

somehwere around 1979 or so selected games were on TV. i think shortly after their final 4 year in 1980, almost all games were on TV via the iowa network. They still were when i moved from the state in 1986. when i came back in 2000, most games but not all were still being televised.

somehwere around 1979 or so selected games were on TV. i think shortly after their final 4 year in 1980, almost all games were on TV via the iowa network. They still were when i moved from the state in 1986. when i came back in 2000, most games but not all were still being televised.
That's about right. However, there are a lot of people that will tell you that every single Iowa Hawkeye basketball game was always televised. That's just not true. In the 25 years I lived in Iowa, I don't recall one single year of seeing all the games on TV, we always missed a couple.

Latest posts