BTN Live comments last nite...

JHHawk

in their final show of the bus tour Dinardo,Griffin, Long and Lehman had final summer camp observations:

Dinardo and Griffin agreed that Iowa now has the best football facilities in the league...very impressed with the way the whole complex is laid out now. Should help KF recruit well to the end of his run...nice.

Most improved teams from spring to fall: RU, Minny and Illinois.

Best defense: Nebraska
Best offense: MSU
Best offensive player: Abdullah of Neb.
Best defensive player: Gregory of Neb.

They held their divisional picks until their studio preview shows next week, but Lehman picked Neb and MSU, with MSU winning . Chuck Long has the West winner taking the title, but did not say who...only that Black Friday in Kinnick could be conclusive.

so how does Sparty go from one of the worst offenses to the best in one offseason?
Better question is how did Nebraska lose 3 players on their depth chart on a D that wasn't very good last year, and be considered to have the best defense this year? I watched the Iowa-Nebby game the other night, and that did not look like a group that was anywhere near "best defense."

Better question is how did Nebraska lose 3 players on their depth chart on a D that wasn't very good last year, and be considered to have the best defense this year? I watched the Iowa-Nebby game the other night, and that did not look like a group that was anywhere near "best defense."

Likely because they pass the eyeball test. They always have good looking athletes. If the Huskers have taught us nothing else the last few years, they have taught us that they have no shortage of "look like Tarzan, play like Jane" guys on their defense. Maybe that will change this year?

Likely because they pass the eyeball test. They always have good looking athletes. If the Huskers have taught us nothing else the last few years, they have taught us that they have no shortage of "look like Tarzan, play like Jane" guys on their defense. Maybe that will change this year?

I would also add that its one thing to look good in practice, quite another to do it in a game. Look no further than JVB.

We'll have to wait for the real bullets to start flying before the top O's & D's in the conference will emerge.

Spot on. After getting screamed at by bo the baffoon all season, combined with the cold weather, all these big highly recruited nebtards that pass the eye test get drug across the goal line by the blue collar hawks.

And this was a defense that only returned four players from last year. Oh wait I know: It's because they are Nebraska. And how is their defense going to be better than Michigan State's defense?

so how does Sparty go from one of the worst offenses to the best in one offseason?

They were one of the worst last September but they improved considerably as the season went on. That QB really came of age and they gained a lot of confidence along the way. They also have pretty decent players at WR and RB.

They were one of the worst last September but they improved considerably as the season went on. That QB really came of age and they gained a lot of confidence along the way. They also have pretty decent players at WR and RB.

This. You don't beat Stanford in the Rose Bowl if all you've got is a great defense. Langford is one of the best-kept secrets at RB in the country this year.

The word out of MSU is that their receiving corp is looking great this year. Last year, in the first three games, they dropped a ton of balls and were considered a huge weakness....just like at QB....probably connected,eh? But with Langford, Cook, a good line and good receivers, sounds like they are ''a state of the art offense now'' as Dinardo said.

This. You don't beat Stanford in the Rose Bowl if all you've got is a great defense. Langford is one of the best-kept secrets at RB in the country this year.

they just aired the replay on ESPN U and their offense was far from impressive. That game was all about the defense...Even Stanford scored on a pick 6. I am not saying their offense is going terrible and it is obvious they have improved...But to call them the best of the B1G? Not seeing it.

they just aired the replay on ESPN U and their offense was far from impressive. That game was all about the defense...Even Stanford scored on a pick 6. I am not saying their offense is going terrible and it is obvious they have improved...But to call them the best of the B1G? Not seeing it.

What were they last year then? Last year MSU would have gotten a spot in a college playoff (ranked #4 going into the bowls), they were most definitely a top 4 team in the country, and finished #3 in the polls. They were very, very close to going undefeated and playing for a NC as it was. They beat everyone on their schedule by 10 or more points except for Stanford and losing to ND. If you look at what they did, and what they return, if this team was Texas, Ohio St., Florida, Alabama, they would be pre season #2 at worst.

What were they last year then? Last year MSU would have gotten a spot in a college playoff (ranked #4 going into the bowls), they were most definitely a top 4 team in the country, and finished #3 in the polls. They were very, very close to going undefeated and playing for a NC as it was. They beat everyone on their schedule by 10 or more points except for Stanford and losing to ND. If you look at what they did, and what they return, if this team was Texas, Ohio St., Florida, Alabama, they would be pre season #2 at worst.
The ND game was easily one of the worst officiated games I saw last year.....um I mean right behind every game Iowa lost of course ;-)

Latest posts