BT QB Ranking by Insider

HuckFinn

Here are the QB’s ranked below Petras:
Brandon Peters , Illinois, #14
Graham Mertz, Wisconsin, #12
Ryan Hilinski, Northwestern, #11
Tanner Morgan, Minnesota, #10
Adrian Martinez, Nebraska, #5

Spenser Petras is #8. I would add that the Purdue game really hurt his ranking. He would likely have been up one or two spots.

QB’s Iowa has beaten:
Jack Tuttle/Michael Penix, Indiana, #13 (Healthy Penix would likely have been higher)
Taulia Tagovailoa, Maryland, #4
Sean Clifford, Penn State, #3

what say you?

What are the Purdue QBs rated?

I'm guessing the OSU QB is first?

These numbers show the sky is not necessarily falling in the remaining regular season games. Not exactly a lot of QB wizards there.

Does this ranking just passing or includes rushing. Martinez should be very high given the dual threat he poses. Michigan State QB must also be very high on this list. Petras with a clean pocket is as good as anyone. Scrambling Petras falls off the map. Petras is a solid #1 or 2 with QB sneaks. Well he was.

Here are the QB’s ranked below Petras:
Brandon Peters , Illinois, #14
Graham Mertz, Wisconsin, #12
Ryan Hilinski, Northwestern, #11
Tanner Morgan, Minnesota, #10
Adrian Martinez, Nebraska, #5

Spenser Petras is #8. I would add that the Purdue game really hurt his ranking. He would likely have been up one or two spots.

QB’s Iowa has beaten:
Jack Tuttle/Michael Penix, Indiana, #13 (Healthy Penix would likely have been higher)
Taulia Tagovailoa, Maryland, #4
Sean Clifford, Penn State, #3

what say you?
Jack Campbell beat Clifford, not Iowa.

Just further clarification. OSU #1, MSU #2, Mich #6, Purdue #7.
And, what really hurt Spencer was the 6 interceptions on his record, even though 3 of them came in desperation time.
The rankings were over all performance, not just passing. Martinez got big credit for his dual threat capabilities.
The good news I saw in this article was that we won’t play a QB that is really a dominating force. Our D is a big deal obviously, but with a middle of the pack rating, the Purdue QB kicked our ass. So, this rating article is what it is. That’s all.

For the hundredth time, it's not Petras. It's not the receivers.

As the OL goes, so goes the offense. The OL must improve, and perhaps the blocking schemes need to get a little more conservative.

Iowa's offensive line was clicking on all cylinders at the end of last year. Perhaps this year's version will improve like that one did.....Ince and Schott need to get healthy!!

For the hundredth time, it's not Petras. It's not the receivers.

As the OL goes, so goes the offense. The OL must improve, and perhaps the blocking schemes need to get a little more conservative.

Iowa's offensive line was clicking on all cylinders at the end of last year. Perhaps this year's version will improve like that one did.....Ince and Schott need to get healthy!!

Agreed ... OL hasn't been consistently up to par for about 5 years. RPG stats have gone from 208 in 2015 to hovering around 140 - 150. Even worse, ypr down to around 3.8 - 4. That's really bad for an offense that is built from the OL back, strives to be so balanced and must rely on rushing due to extraordinarily average QBs.

While VERY disappointed in that facet of the offense, especially considering having numerous NFL draftees (Hawks only seem to get about 1 decent year out of the prospects, then rebuild.) also not liking Goodson's "dancing". Again, limited holes but, also, bad scheme to run him between tackles - he's just not a power back and has tunnel vision.

If TyGood is #1, get the kid outside to at least get + yards / carry, rather than, 2-3, then a loss of 5 on any given series.

My honest opinion on Petras is that it's nigh on impossible to get a read on where he's at right now because we have sub-P5 par WRs and an OL experiencing serious growing pains.

That makes some of the (apparently) highly developed, nuanced takes on the finer points of Petras's footwork, hips, vision, etc pretty funny to me, honestly.

About all you can gather as an average fan is that Petras is not our #1 or even #2 problem at this point. The coaches have the benefit of seeing him work under somewhat controlled conditions and, obviously, think he gives us the best shot. Whether they think he's just the best of a set of bad options, actually good, or in between isn't something for us to know. That's just the way it works.

I have seen Petras make some big time throws. Good arm strength, good touch and accuracy, prudent reads. I think a legitimate concrete criticism of Petras would be that I suspect he's a bit excitable, especially early. He's had some rough starts and we've all observed him putting a bit too much mustard on some passes.

With a more mature OL and slightly better receivers (hopefully progress can be made in both areas), my finger in the wind assessment is Petras would show himself to be a solid "game manager+" type QB, which we have shown we can win a lot of games with.