Brust

If they are having a sitdown today , I wouldn't necessarily expect anything for some time unless the meeting is just a formality and a decision has already been made.

Any news from the meeting?

I haven't talked to Ben about it.

However, there are a lot of things going on with this. Firstly, Ben is now a huge Iowa fan. Once he committed to Todd/Chad, he was on board, watched games, came to games, had the wardrobe, etc... he was a Hawkeye. But then the coaching change came, and the way it went down isn't sitting well with some. Fran will have to do his best to sell the university and the fact that this is going to be a team effort by this basketball squad. Not an easy thing to accomplish, so we will have to see.

I think Ben knows his best chance to get early PT is at Iowa and the challenge of turning this once great program around is excited.

As I warned months ago, though, if Lickliter was going to be let go and Walthall was not retained, it would be a tough go to keep Ben. I remain hopeful that Ben will be coming to Iowa here late in the spring/early summer.

Last edited:
I haven't talked to Ben about it.

However, there are a lot of things going on with this. Firstly, Ben is now a huge Iowa fan. Once he committed to Todd/Chad, he was on board, watched games, came to games, had the wardrobe, etc... he was a Hawkeye. But then the coaching change came, and the way it went down isn't sitting well with some. Fran will have to do his best to sell the university and the fact that this is going to be a team effort by this basketball squad. Not an easy thing to accomplish, so we will have to see.

I think Ben knows his best chance to get early PT is at Iowa and the challenge of turning this once great program around is excited.

As I warned months ago, though, if Lickliter was going to be let go and Walthall was not retained, it would be a tough go to keep Ben. I remain hopeful that Ben will be coming to Iowa here late in the spring/early summer.
I know there have been minor rumors of Cully leaving but do you think keeping Cully is enough to land Ben?

If Brust wants to ask out, then ask out and move on. I have faith that Fran will go the JUCO route to get the best available talent this late in the game.

Brust had narrowed his choices to Iowa, NW and Butler just prior to committing to Iowa. I'm sure that Butler's run to the championship game is playing a factor in why Brust is now exploring his options.

We have a new head coach and a chance to really improve as a program. Nobody should expect this to turn around overnight. The program has been run in to the ground over the past 10 years. We need to start with a clean slate.

Latest posts