Bruce Pearl and Connor McCaffrey

longtimer

For those of you younger posters Pearl is the Tom Davis assistant that endeared himself to Illinois fans when he accused them of buying a real nice vehicle to get Deon Thomas to play there (which he did) I guess that's part of the reason Davis was not a great recruiter He didn't cheat. Anyway after Pearl left Iowa he has had some success at schools like Tennessee and now Auburn which I believe cracked the top ten. Plays an exciting style and can recruit. On the flip side he got thrown out of basketball for awhile and very possibly could be one of the FBI favorites? So would Iowa ever consider him???
PS Thomas is now on Big Ten Network and does a pretty good job

Connor McCaffrey I wrote a post awhile ago suggesting maybe Conner should stick with baseball Now I read a post that starts to suggest he could be part of Iowa's problem and he hasnt played! He isnt good enough to ever consider it a career nor is he good enough to save his father's job. College should be a good experience and playing basketball for Iowa next year with the last name McCaffery could be tough

For those of you younger posters Pearl is the Tom Davis assistant that endeared himself to Illinois fans when he accused them of buying a real nice vehicle to get Deon Thomas to play there (which he did) I guess that's part of the reason Davis was not a great recruiter He didn't cheat. Anyway after Pearl left Iowa he has had some success at schools like Tennessee and now Auburn which I believe cracked the top ten. Plays an exciting style and can recruit. On the flip side he got thrown out of basketball for awhile and very possibly could be one of the FBI favorites? So would Iowa ever consider him???
PS Thomas is now on Big Ten Network and does a pretty good job

Connor McCaffrey I wrote a post awhile ago suggesting maybe Conner should stick with baseball Now I read a post that starts to suggest he could be part of Iowa's problem and he hasnt played! He isnt good enough to ever consider it a career nor is he good enough to save his father's job. College should be a good experience and playing basketball for Iowa next year with the last name McCaffery could be tough

No way Iowa hires Pearl. Are you nuts. Peafl the cheat was under Davis so there is guilt by association. You honestly think knowing what we know about Ricky Davis that he didnt get great offers and thag he came to Iowa to wear gold for free?

Some of you are so naive.

Right Way U would never hire Bruce Pearl. I'd be cool with it, but I don't lose sleep pining for a Bruce Pearl hire (or any other coach that can really recruit). It's not happening. Period.

Last edited:
Watched a little of the Auburn game last night, holy cow do they have some speed and guys who can get up and down the court fast with the ball. Their PG Harper is on the smaller side but he is so quick he makes up for it. Sounds like another guy who we have discussed a lot on this board who still doesn't have an offer :) I haven't seen Locure play those, so not sure how his speed would compare to Harper's.

Watched a little of the Auburn game last night, holy cow do they have some speed and guys who can get up and down the court fast with the ball. Their PG Harper is on the smaller side but he is so quick he makes up for it. Sounds like another guy who we have discussed a lot on this board who still doesn't have an offer :) I haven't seen Locure play those, so not sure how his speed would compare to Harper's.
tenor.gif

I'd hire Pearl in a heartbeat. Great coach and recruiter. I don't care about him getting in trouble for lying about a barbeque. Stretching the rules in recruiting seems to be allowed, so I'd take him.

I know they made a run at him when he was at Tennessee and Iowa had fired Lickliter. Bobby Hanson was on Des Moines radio and said they contacted Pearl but the price was a little too high. Without risk the is no reward.

Isn't Gatens on his staff as a GA?

Last edited:
I'd hire Pearl in a heartbeat. Great coach and recruiter. I don't care about him getting in trouble for lying about a barbeque. Stretching the rules in recruiting seems to be allowed, so I'd take him.
The rumor/story is that Bruce slept with some IClub/donor's wife back in the day and that's why he'll never coach at Iowa ever again. I have no idea if that is true or not, but that's what a poster on this site told me.

When you are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars +...there will be a great deal of cheating throughout the system...not all who participate in it would call it "cheating"...more like "multipliers" "enhancements" "supplements"...

Head coaches send their assistants out to recruit...whatever it takes...so that deniability can be sustained.

Unless of course Mac's sons want to coach and then we would have to let them "grow into the job". What, are we still talking about basketball?

I’d take Bruce Pearl in a heartbeat. For F*** sakes he has Auburn, Auburn! on the doorstep of a top 2 seed.

Wish Iowa could’ve got him coming from Uw Milwaukee

Last edited:
I nearly spit up my coffee reading that. You must not read the news very often...

I know they made a run at him when he was at Tennessee and Iowa had fired Lickliter. Bobby Hanson was on Des Moines radio and said they contacted Pearl but the price was a little too high. Without risk the is no reward.

Isn't Gatens on his staff as a GA?

Not with Barta calling the shots. Unless when Gary offered him the blank check, extensions, and buyouts Pearl thought he was joking and got offended.

if Iowa's going to cheat and get put on probation (it will happen because is good about once every 15 years) I want them to win a bunch of NCAA games and maybe get to the final 4, which will be taken away but who cares. Pearl is not the guy who can get you to a final 4.

Latest posts