Brown: The Good & Bad of NIL

While all these stories about Hawkeye athletes donating money to great causes is well and good, IMO, the real story is the collectives and Rick aptly states that the genie is out of the bottle and Iowa is playing catch up. I don't know that I sense Iowa is playing catch up.

There was an article a few weeks ago where the Pac 12 commissioner was interviewed. the powers that be from the B1G, Pac 12, Big 12 and Mountain West met and affirmed their agreement on many things affecting their conferences and NIL was front and runner. The group affirmed they were not going to run rampant with NIL in their member schools and that there were already rules in places regarding collective type funds being used to attract top athletes and these conferences were going to adhere to those rules. I have my doubts but I respect Iowa if we attempt to do that but I do have my doubts about our ability to compete.

Note that two key conferences, the SEC and ACC, were not part of this meeting. I'm no expert but it appears they are leading the way in using these collectives to pay large sums of money to both football and basketball players to compete at their schools. The sums they are talking are staggering and blow my mind.

I suspect not all of the schools represented by that meeting are buying into the concept of following the rules. Texas Tech and Oregon come to mind although I really know nothing specific.

What this is telling me is that there will eventually need to be two divisions, one that pays their players to compete at their schools, the more the better. The other division will be those, like Iowa, that want a level playing field with like minded schools.

The alternative to me is that if this rampant payment continues then I don't know that I will continue to be a fan of collegiate athletics.

I think geography had a thing or two to do with Iowa losing on that kid that went to Ole Miss too.. He grew up in AL went to LSU and ended up a Rebel. I mean for the same $ he probably wanted to stay closer to home anyway. I don't think he wanted to see what winter in Iowa was all about and who can blame him? Granted I have no doubt Ole Miss could scrounge up more $ too but if it was down to Iowa and them I don't think they woulda had to...

The alternative to me is that if this rampant payment continues then I don't know that I will continue to be a fan of collegiate athletics.
Just remember the NCAA is 100% to blame for this. Not the players.

The rich old Daddy Warbucks’ up in Indianapolis had decades to do the right thing and they continuously refused.

While all these stories about Hawkeye athletes donating money to great causes is well and good, IMO, the real story is the collectives and Rick aptly states that the genie is out of the bottle and Iowa is playing catch up. I don't know that I sense Iowa is playing catch up.

There was an article a few weeks ago where the Pac 12 commissioner was interviewed. the powers that be from the B1G, Pac 12, Big 12 and Mountain West met and affirmed their agreement on many things affecting their conferences and NIL was front and runner. The group affirmed they were not going to run rampant with NIL in their member schools and that there were already rules in places regarding collective type funds being used to attract top athletes and these conferences were going to adhere to those rules. I have my doubts but I respect Iowa if we attempt to do that but I do have my doubts about our ability to compete.

Note that two key conferences, the SEC and ACC, were not part of this meeting. I'm no expert but it appears they are leading the way in using these collectives to pay large sums of money to both football and basketball players to compete at their schools. The sums they are talking are staggering and blow my mind.

I suspect not all of the schools represented by that meeting are buying into the concept of following the rules. Texas Tech and Oregon come to mind although I really know nothing specific.

What this is telling me is that there will eventually need to be two divisions, one that pays their players to compete at their schools, the more the better. The other division will be those, like Iowa, that want a level playing field with like minded schools.

USC is probably the most NIL crazy school out there right now so I'm not sure the PAC 12 commissioner has a whole lot of say here.

Not sure how accurate, but I’ve heard that Iowa’s NIL collective will be geared to current players only for charity work and not to entice recruits. I think will be similar to ISU’s