Brody and baseball

Will he step foot on the football field?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm not familiar with how baseball prospects are drafted. Is this high enough to be in good money?
It’s like recruiting rankings and NFL draft projections, after you get past the first 15-20 guys it’s pretty much a toss up.

He’d have to go 1) pretty early, and 2) to the right team to make big bank. MLB teams don’t have the same bonus amounts like what you see in the NFL.

And also unlike other pro sports, he’d likely float around in the minors for a while before having a chance at the majors, and minor league players don’t really even make enough money to live on. I know Taylor Zeutenhorst from Sheldon fairly well and if he didn’t have support from family he wouldn’t have been able to keep playing minor ball. Point being that even if Brecht got a pile of money, he might be spending most or a big part of it to live while he pursues the majors.

On the other hand if he flies right through Triple A and gets a job in the bigs, he can be set for life pretty quick. It’s kind of a crapshoot with the odds not being in your favor.

I'm not familiar with how baseball prospects are drafted. Is this high enough to be in good money?
No. Given compensatory picks, 182 would put him in the late 4th/5th round. Bonus slots for the 4th and 5th range from $318k to a bit over $500k. And like I said earlier, that‘s living money until you make major league money.

Brecht is a damn good pitcher no doubt, but his chances of making the show are astronomical at best. That's not a knock on the kid, just reality.

Up in the northern part of the country guys like him are exceedingly rare, but it the south where baseball is a bigger deal you have a few hundred high schoolers who can touch mid nineties. Everything I read about the kid says he loves football more than anything else and that his dream is to play NFL ball. I'd be super surprised if he wasn't playing football at Iowa this year.
There are a pretty good number of kids in the Chicago area who hit mid-90s in HS. My son played travel ball so we saw some pretty hard throwing kids. I‘m not sure how hard Hibbing threw at Iowa, but I think he was low-mid 90s in HS (my son was a senior when Hibbing was a sophomore), and one of his travel teammates pitched mid-90s and played in the Reds system.

But like you said, mid 90 kids are a dime a dozen in the minors. Gotta have control and command to make it.

But like you said, mid 90 kids are a dime a dozen in the minors. Gotta have control and command to make it.
I umpired Dekkers at West Sioux a couple years ago and he was mid 90s/occasional upper 90s. It didn’t take long to see why he didn’t have 30 scouts there, he didn’t have command.

It was to the point it was scary…if the catcher was old enough I would’ve bought him a beer. All it would’ve taken was one miss and I was in the ER wiping out all my umping money with my deductible. It wasn’t the speed that was so scary, it was the catcher setting up low and away and getting one belt high inside. If my coach had told me to square up to bunt against that I would’ve given him the finger.

On the other hand if he flies right through Triple A and gets a job in the bigs, he can be set for life pretty quick. It’s kind of a crapshoot with the odds not being in your favor.

We have a high single A team here and the dudes are all early 20s and these guys are pretty damned good at baseball. And they're a LONG way away from the big show. A bunch of the pitchers were picked in the top 5 rounds.

I think even the star pitchers are for the most part going to need to be at least 21 before they see the bump in the bigs. I guess Clayton Kershaw was 20 when he played in his first big league game, but the odds of this dude being as good as Clayton Kershaw are like a million to one. A lot of the journeyman guys (who are still really damned good ball players) are usually like 23 or 24 before they see the bigs.

From MLB Scouting Report:

Brecht reportedly hit 98 mph during a 16-strikeout effort as a junior in the Iowa state tournament late last July, but scouts weren't there to see it and he seemed to have his heart set on playing football at Iowa. A three-star wide receiver recruit who helped Ankeny High win the state 4-A football championship last fall, he didn't attend baseball showcases before his senior season and opted to run track rather than play in Iowa's unofficial spring league. He told scouts he only planned on playing for Ankeny once the official prep season started because he wanted to pursue a state title -- but once he took the mound in June he showed first-round stuff and athleticism and had teams scrambling to scout him.

In his early starts this spring, Brecht operated at 92-94 mph throughout and topped out at 97. His slider was a plus pitch as well, ranging from 82-85 mph with late bite. He also employed a curveball that had some power in the upper 70s but lacked sharp break.

As a lanky wide receiver with impressive arm strength, he naturally draws comparisons to Jeff Samardzija. Like Samardzija did at Notre Dame, Brecht relies on his natural athleticism to overcome his lack of polish on the mound. He doesn't throw a changeup, his delivery is raw and his command is unrefined. He's only scratching the surface of his potential and it's exciting to think of what he might become if he devoted himself to baseball, but scouts still think it will be almost impossible to divert him from playing football for the Hawkeyes.

Ultimately, If he just goes to IA, he'll have the ability to compete at a pretty high level in both sports, see which he prefers and which provides the best ability to support himself and make the decision in 3-4 years. Plus he gets a college education.

Ultimately, If he just goes to IA, he'll have the ability to compete at a pretty high level in both sports, see which he prefers and which provides the best ability to support himself and make the decision in 3-4 years. Plus he gets a college education.

Meh, look I love the Hawks and I'm not saying this to badmouth Iowa or anything, but if this kid is that great of an athlete and that good at baseball and wants to play high level football as well he should really explore a program like Clemson, Florida, Texas or Oklahoma. The winter and spring in the upper midwest are just not conducive to high level baseball and the talent gap between the north and the south/California is astronomical. If he's going to pitch, he would be much better suited getting reps against the teams down here.

Furthermore, Iowa's athletic department took a huge hit with The Germ. Is there an iron clad guarantee we will even have baseball in 3 years?

Kid is in the cat bird's seat as I see it. P5 college football scholly or minor league baseball. Just a tad more attractive than my options were at 18 (which was more like "Taco Bell or Taco John's for lunch today").

He should, if you pardon the corny expression, follow his heart and hopefully it works out for him. Obviously, as an Iowa football fan, I want to see him in the black and gold. If it were me though, I would go the baseball route. Safer physically and much better chance of making some money, considering Iowa's track record of putting WRs in the NFL are so abysmal, it might as well be non-existent.

Kid is in the cat bird's seat as I see it. P5 college football scholly or minor league baseball. Just a tad more attractive than my options were at 18 (which was more like "Taco Bell or Taco John's for lunch today").

This really puts things into perspective. When I was 18, I could choose between Taco Bell, Taco John's and Tasty Tacos for dinner. It must have been rough having only 2 choices.

Maybe he's more self aware of himself then I was as a kid at that age. When I was 18 even if I thought I was ready to do the pro baseball lifestyle I wouldn't have been and I wouldn't have liked it (depending on how crazy rich i got with the signing bonus would affect that I'm sure) So maybe the idea of being a kid for 3 or more years living the college life playing 2 sports he loves sounds like it's worth the injury risk to do. Who is anyone to say he's right or wrong. It's his life not just 'career'

The MLB Draft is different than the other sports where you can pretty much ballpark what a guy will make based on where he's selected. Baseball franchises pick guys in the first round they know they can sign under slot so they can pay more for picks in later rounds. It's really hard to predict.

I umpired Dekkers at West Sioux a couple years ago and he was mid 90s/occasional upper 90s. It didn’t take long to see why he didn’t have 30 scouts there, he didn’t have command.

It was to the point it was scary…if the catcher was old enough I would’ve bought him a beer. All it would’ve taken was one miss and I was in the ER wiping out all my umping money with my deductible. It wasn’t the speed that was so scary, it was the catcher setting up low and away and getting one belt high inside. If my coach had told me to square up to bunt against that I would’ve given him the finger.
I played against a lefty from Correctionville who was like that. I'd taught myself to switch hit so thankfully I was batting righty against him but that dude threw hard as hell and everywhere but over the plate. A teammate of mine fouled off a pitch of his and it caught the ump square in the forehead and knocked him on his ass. He was an older guy and scared the crap out of everyone. Stopped the game as he hitched a ride to the hospital. Scariest thing I'd ever seen on an athletic field that I was apart of.

I also think this Brody kid will benefit immensely from this NIL going through. That may also be a feather in Iowas cap for him to want to come and play 2 sports. He is a tall really good looking guy with hair to be jealous of. I'll be surprised if he couldn't absolutely kill it with endorsements and being a 2 sport guy. Plus he'd have more fun at Iowa in college then riding the crappy busses and doing the low A minor league ball life style. I think the NIL going through how it is tips the scales in Iowas favor that he'll be a Hawk regardless of where he may be drafted

Latest posts