Brody and baseball

Will he step foot on the football field?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Joe Doyle

@JoeDoyleMiLB

Sounds like it was a packed house of scouts for Ankeny, IA. RHP Brody Brecht last night. Didn't throw a ball under 94. Touched 98 on multiple occasions. Showed off a handful of big 12-6 benders. He's my pick for super-late riser for the 2021 MLB Draft.

If he can somehow work his way into the top 3 rounds the signing bonus alone would be worth foregoing football.

Jeff Samardzija

That's what immediately comes to mind to me. Given the info that is out there, football is his first love. As of now, I see him playing both. Conner 2.0? lol, Danan Hughes 6.0? What's the magic number($$$$) that makes him go "F football"?

Jeff Samardzija

That's what immediately comes to mind to me. Given the info that is out there, football is his first love. As of now, I see him playing both. Conner 2.0? lol, Danan Hughes 6.0? What's the magic number($$$$) that makes him go "F football"?
Same thought here.

I mean if a guy is a 1st round pick in baseball do you put that on the backburner for no less then 3 yrs to risk serious injury in football for NO MONEY for ? I have no idea what his draft stock is if he's possibly that high of a pick or not. Everyone would have a line in the sand somewhere. That baseball money is guaranteed before the ink is dry. Unless you're a Kyler Murray/Russell Wilson type (Qbs are in a different stratosphere $ wise) I would think most would lean baseball.

It'd be tough to have that lottery ticket in your hand and risking it for me. But first things first maybe he's more of a later round prospect with little guaranteed $ involved and it makes the decision easier.

If he’s throwing 94+ as an 18 yo, that’s projectable to 96-98+. Plus, in the clip posted on Twitter, looks like he’s throwing mostly with his upper body. If he’s a first or second rounder in the draft, I wouldn’t blame him at all for taking the 7 figures. Even if he blows his elbow out early, they’re so good now with TJ surgery that he could be even better once he learns to use his lower body more.

Of course, the minors are made up of hundreds of guys that can throw 95+ but don’t have control or command. But he’d still have that signing bonus in the bag.

Unless he’s a supposedly “can’t miss” prospect like Kyler Murray I’m not sure how willing teams would be to spend an early round pick on Brody. Also, I think I saw if he chooses football, then he’s not eligible for the MLB draft again for 3 years.

Unless he’s a supposedly “can’t miss” prospect like Kyler Murray I’m not sure how willing teams would be to spend an early round pick on Brody. Also, I think I saw if he chooses football, then he’s not eligible for the MLB draft again for 3 years.
The nice thing for him is that he doesn’t have to declare for the MLB draft……he can just wait and see where he’s picked. He’s been pretty open about being willing to listen to baseball teams, so if they see talent they shouldn’t hesitate.

The nice thing for him is that he doesn’t have to declare for the MLB draft……he can just wait and see where he’s picked. He’s been pretty open about being willing to listen to baseball teams, so if they see talent they shouldn’t hesitate.
Exactly he's in the drivers seat in that regard. Unlike basketball and football where they gotta commit prior to the draft. When do Iowa football players have to start showing up? I suppose between what happens first that and whenever the draft is I have no idea what kind of calender he's on. Heck his baseball season may take him into July? I'm not sure.

Exactly he's in the drivers seat in that regard. Unlike basketball and football where they gotta commit prior to the draft. When do Iowa football players have to start showing up? I suppose between what happens first that and whenever the draft is I have no idea what kind of calender he's on. Heck his baseball season may take him into July? I'm not sure.
District playoffs don't start until mid July and if they make a state run it will be July 28/29 ish.

This is gonna be a big ass deal for Brecht. Major decision. Hellickson from Des Moines was a 4th rounder back in the day and I think his signing bonus was like $1.5 million. I would hope he has some smart people around him that have helped him figure out a financial number that he'd take vs go to college. 18 year old brains aren't typically equipped to make those kinds of life-altering decisions...I know mine wasn't.

District playoffs don't start until mid July and if they make a state run it will be July 28/29 ish.

This is gonna be a big ass deal for Brecht. Major decision. Hellickson from Des Moines was a 4th rounder back in the day and I think his signing bonus was like $1.5 million. I would hope he has some smart people around him that have helped him figure out a financial number that he'd take vs go to college. 18 year old brains aren't typically equipped to make those kinds of life-altering decisions...I know mine wasn't.
It's tough... I mean how does one prioritize what they like to do more over what they have a higher paying ceiling at doing? And I'm not even sure that's a factor with him. But man it's a hell of a nice problem to have though.

It's safe to say that a pitcher would have a more GUARANTEED higher ceiling of pay then a WR would. He could have 5-10 million in his pocket (not counting endorsements if he could get some) before he even got through his 3rd year of football at Iowa possibly. Maybe more if he's drafted high. That sort of thing makes baseball enticing.

Then you factor in the risk of injury if you do decide to play football and shelve pro baseball till later so I dunno. I mean if he's the next Randy Moss then that's another thing. How good of a prospect is he for football? Tough to tell.

All I know is if I were his parent I'd probably lean him towards baseball but it's his career. If I'm the kid and I'm 6'4 210 lbs and can run a 4.5 40 I'd probably love football. I can't even imagine what it'd feel like to hear Kinnick going crazy because you caught a big TD. That'd be something amazing you can't put a dollar figure on.

All I know is if I were his parent I'd probably lean him towards baseball but it's his career. If I'm the kid and I'm 6'4 210 lbs and can run a 4.5 40 I'd probably love football. I can't even imagine what it'd feel like to hear Kinnick going crazy because you caught a big TD. That'd be something amazing you can't put a dollar figure on.

Yeah, agreed on catching a TD, but if that were my kid I'd be pushing him hard to do baseball if he gets drafted high enough to draw a 7 figure signing bonus. It's so much safer than football and if you can get to the bigs and just get one contract you can be set for life. The odds of making the same money in football at his position are very slim, while the odds of developing a horrific nagging series of injuries from football are very high.

Even middle relief guys who can stick in the majors for a few years get insane money. Of course, it is really hard to break into the majors, but if it was my boy I'd push him really hard to put $100k into an educational trust where I'd give him some sort of match and have him put another $200k minimum into investments and start funding a retirement account as well.

Bonus slots aren’t consistent team to team. The Pirates have a $14+ million bonus pool for the 2021 draft, while the Dodgers have $4.6 million. Each round has a slot for each team as well. Generally, you can go above slot for a given round, but total bonus allocation is limited.

Seven figure slots end after the second round. Of course, if a team really wants a prospect, they can go over slot and give over a million to a third or fourth founder, especially if they want to pry him away from CFB or CBB.

Minor leaguers get paid shit, so the signing bonus will be living expenses until the player reaches the majors, where they’ll still be making shit compared to a veteran, at least until they‘re arbitration-eligible. That’s at least better than FB, where you really need that second contract to make big money. And unless he’s a truly special talent, he won’t be in the majors for at least 3-5 years.

Like Fry says, hope he has some people around him advising him. It’ll be a really tough if he’s drafted in round 2, and even harder if he’s below that.

Bonus slots aren’t consistent team to team. The Pirates have a $14+ million bonus pool for the 2021 draft, while the Dodgers have $4.6 million. Each round has a slot for each team as well. Generally, you can go above slot for a given round, but total bonus allocation is limited.

Seven figure slots end after the second round. Of course, if a team really wants a prospect, they can go over slot and give over a million to a third or fourth founder, especially if they want to pry him away from CFB or CBB.

Minor leaguers get paid shit, so the signing bonus will be living expenses until the player reaches the majors, where they’ll still be making shit compared to a veteran, at least until they‘re arbitration-eligible. That’s at least better than FB, where you really need that second contract to make big money. And unless he’s a truly special talent, he won’t be in the majors for at least 3-5 years.

Like Fry says, hope he has some people around him advising him. It’ll be a really tough if he’s drafted in round 2, and even harder if he’s below that.
Brecht is a damn good pitcher no doubt, but his chances of making the show are astronomical at best. That's not a knock on the kid, just reality.

Up in the northern part of the country guys like him are exceedingly rare, but it the south where baseball is a bigger deal you have a few hundred high schoolers who can touch mid nineties. Everything I read about the kid says he loves football more than anything else and that his dream is to play NFL ball. I'd be super surprised if he wasn't playing football at Iowa this year.