Bring back the yellow court and long nets??

WE are fans, not players. I'll trust Coach McCaffery to get things going there. Floor colors, uniforms, water towers, etc. are things fans like to talk about once in awhile. Especially when fan apathy is at an all time low, it's fun to talk about the little things with some enthusiasm.

Thats fine but I think making changes for no other reason than to make changes is dumb.

Why has the hiring of McCaffery suddenly lead to resurgence of sentimentality for 1988?

Did everyone here just go and see Hot Tub Time Machine this weekend, and want to apply that story to their real lives?

Longing for the good old days I guess. That and the concept of a fast break is pretty much circa 1988 when it comes to Iowa hoops. Ok, not that far back, but you get the point.

Is the court due to be upgraded as the practice facility is finished up? It's possible that the University could put a bid in on one of next year's NCAA floors and have it repainted to their liking. Sounds like this is a less costly way to upgrade floors.

Why has the hiring of McCaffery suddenly lead to resurgence of sentimentality for 1988?

Did everyone here just go and see Hot Tub Time Machine this weekend, and want to apply that story to their real lives?

I think a lot of it was brought on by Coach Fran himself, talking about the times he recruited past Iowa players, talked about how Carver was rocking when he brought a team in to play one of Ravelings teams. Hearing how he remembers Carver brought back memories for some of us fans, including myself.

I see the gold court is winning by a landslide!!! Bring it back. In case no one noticed, that black thingy is kind of symbolic of the haze that has hung over the program since Mr. Davis was shown the door. It's kind of doom and gloom. And turn the damn lights on in the place. Brighten it up please!!! BTW, UNI paid 100,000 dollars for the court in St. Louis I believe. Also, I think that is the same price Wisconsin payed for their court as well.

LOL

Well played on the Hot Tub Time Machine reference.

So nobody else in the big ten has a black floor? Nobody? Oh.....yeah...... Purdue does. Duh. I think that's why they've had success on our court, reminds them of home. Bring back the gold! That was the last time Carver was dominant. Ever since the black, the homecourt advantage has disappeared. That gold must intimidate. No parquet.
All gold trim, with gold lane.
Black lettering
Maybe from lane to 3 point line make black, that might look boss. Of course make a white line in that area for the women's 3 line.

Last edited:
I would absolutely love to see us go back to the gold court. That was the best. Whenever that court flashed on ESPN you instantly knew where they were at. It was great.

I'd also love to see us go back to some vintage style uniforms. I loved the cursive "Iowa" across the chests of the mid-80s. We only wore gold uniforms at home and blacks on the road. No whites. Loved it.

Lastly, I think anything with Alford's fingerprints needs to go away. From the NASCAR lettering to the black court, it needs to go.

These Hawkeyes will fly again!!

So nobody else in the big ten has a black floor? Nobody? Oh.....yeah...... Purdue does. Duh. I think that's why they've had success on our court, reminds them of home. Bring back the gold! That was the last time Carver was dominant. Ever since the black, the homecourt advantage has disappeared. That gold must intimidate. No parquet.
All gold trim, with gold lane.
Black lettering
Maybe from lane to 3 point line make black, that might look boss. Of course make a white line in that area for the women's 3 line.

The home court advantage totally disappeared in Alford's last two years.

Athletic Facilities is refinishing the court already this summer. Not sure if that means there's an oppprtunity to repaint it different or not, but it is getting at least sealed again.

Yes, no Nascar font!!! No cursive either, though. Some simple uniforms based on the block IOWA font and style of the wrestling uniforms would be best. So the kids like them they could look very traditional from afar, but up close have cool markings (like Duke's this year). Seriously, FB copied a successful NFL uniform and that worked, what's more successful to pull from than our wrestling team??? I think something similar to Michigan's Fab Five era uniforms (92-93) only with block IOWA would be great.

Yes, no Nascar font!!! No cursive either, though. Some simple uniforms based on the block IOWA font and style of the wrestling uniforms would be best. So the kids like them they could look very traditional from afar, but up close have cool markings (like Duke's this year). Seriously, FB copied a successful NFL uniform and that worked, what's more successful to pull from than our wrestling team??? I think something similar to Michigan's Fab Five era uniforms (92-93) only with block IOWA would be great.
Don't like the cursive? Come on take a look again:

stokes.jpg

Them's some tight threads right there

Yes, but not just the mens program. The women play there too as does the volleyball team. So, I doubt FM could just have all the say in that.

Been wondering what the future volleyball situation will be myself. Most B10 schools have vball located somewhere other than the main arena, either their old arenas or else a smaller gym dedicated to minor sports. Saint Louis U built their new practice facility with enough folding bleachers to handle vball crowds.

I like vball, but they don't need to be in a 15K seat facility and never will. Plus the current "North Carver" set up looks improvised and cheesy, IMHO.

I don't mind the cursive, I just think styling our unis based on our stellar wrestling team would be cool. They wouldn't have to be quite as tight as a singlet, of course

Latest posts