Brian is the least of the problems on offense

I personally think the entire coaching staff needs a shake-up… but:
1. How would the best OC in the country find a way to move the ball with this offense?
2. We don’t have a decent QB
3. OL is the worst in school history
4. WRs can’t get separation, get open and there is no deep threat.
Basically, Josh Allen himself would struggle to make plays with this offense.

If Iowa doesn’t fit the transfer porthole for a QB, 2-3 OL and 2 deep threat WRs. Next season will be the same if not worse..
I seen a hell of a lot of coaches do a hell of a lot more with a hell of a lot less. Talent is not everything and I don't believe Iowa has none. Bruce, Johnson, our TE's, and Nico are not garbage. Our schemes are.

I seen a hell of a lot of coaches do a hell of a lot more with a hell of a lot less. Talent is not everything and I don't believe Iowa has none. Bruce, Johnson, our TE's, and Nico are not garbage. Our schemes are.

Put on your offensive coordinator hat. You're up in the box, you look down, the other team has 9 guys in the box and little cushion outside. You've seen the line, the QB barely has time to get the ball in his hands and turn the laces before there is a LB coming up the middle or defensive end in the QB's face. What schematic advantage are you bringing that is going to counter that with the talent we have available at the moment?

It's really simple, if you don't have a line you don't have an offense. This team does not have a line.

Put on your offensive coordinator hat. You're up in the box, you look down, the other team has 9 guys in the box and little cushion outside. You've seen the line, the QB barely has time to get the ball in his hands and turn the laces before there is a LB coming up the middle or defensive end in the QB's face. What schematic advantage are you bringing that is going to counter that with the talent we have available at the moment?

It's really simple, if you don't have a line you don't have an offense. This team does not have a line.
It's an Abbot and Costello bit. What comes first? Well I agree no line = no chance. I would just say that the OC is partially in charge of recruiting/developing that. How come we have like 4 or 5 true sophs that have to be in there that clearly aren't ready? Blame falls the same direction. The offense is also an issue and has been for years. Situational play calling has always been such a problem that BF over 5 yrs time now has lost benefit of the doubt to me.

1. How would the best OC in the country find a way to move the ball with this offense?

If Iowa doesn’t fit the transfer porthole for a QB, 2-3 OL and 2 deep threat WRs. Next season will be the same if not worse..

Points 2,3 and 4, I have a question on. Who recruited the players that play these positions?

It's all on the coaching and as proof, how is Iowa's defense? How is Iowa's special teams? Both of those groups are highly rated nationally. And they both have great coaches.

Again, it starts and ends with the coaches.

Maybe I'm stupid, (many who know me would agree) but there are tried and true ways to scheme for poor offensive lines which work by deception and countering pressure. The first being able to predict and respond to pressure by recognizing it by the OC and QB and having plays prepared for them. I've seen teams far inferior physically and athletically to their opponents game plan to use these skills against them. Not ever play, but upon occasion. I don't know if I have seen Iowa do it once this year.

I’d agree with you if Brian hadn’t been on the staff as long as he has. How does he have an offensive line this bad? The current state of OL at Iowa is unconscionable. We have a supposed OL guru at HC, a former OL player and coach at OC, and an OL coach who has been coaching that group at the collegiate level for nearly 20 years. I don’t know where to place the majority of the blame, but I can’t pretend that none of it falls on Brian.

Does James want to come coach OL when he’s ready to retire from the NFL? Dude is still jacked and one of the more reliable backup IOLs in the league. Maybe he can be the new Doyle, bring him in as an assistant strength and conditioning and OL coach?
No,good grief. Enough nepotism.

I got 2 words for you. Charlie Jones. The guy plays for Iowa for 3 years and gets 3 TD catches. He plays for Purdue for 8 games and has 9 TD catches. 72 catches total for Purdue. Purdue's offensive coordinater is the answer to question #1. What would the best OC do with Iowa' talent? And you know who is the Purdue OC? Jeff Brahm's brother Brian Brohm.

Side note: although Purdue and Iowa are very different, they both have an offensive coordinater named Brian who is a close family member of the head coach.
I doubt that the talent on their offense is much better than ours except for QB. Fire the entire offensive staff. Don't know what the hell they are doing.

I got 2 words for you. Charlie Jones. The guy plays for Iowa for 3 years and gets 3 TD catches. He plays for Purdue for 8 games and has 9 TD catches. 72 catches total for Purdue. Purdue's offensive coordinater is the answer to question #1. What would the best OC do with Iowa' talent? And you know who is the Purdue OC? Jeff Brahm's brother Brian Brohm.

Side note: although Purdue and Iowa are very different, they both have an offensive coordinater named Brian who is a close family member of the head coach.
How would Purdue OC get Charles the ball? How does this OC fix the worst O Line in school history?

I watched the 2014 Iowa-Nebraska game this week. That version of Iowa offense was more painful to watch in some ways than what they've done this year. The play selection was Neanderthal. They had maybe 2 run plays. Rudock took for ever to wind up and throw ..he was a bit better than Padilla.

So yes Brian's' offense is more variable and diverse than Greg Davis' and Ken's ...but its ineffective. And its been stink for more than just the last 2 years. It stunk in 2019 and in spite of Fant and Hockenson, it struggled in 2018 and it stunk in 2017 too

At this point the offense lacks luster so much that recruiting has suffered.

Bad offensive line - Talent

WR's - say what you want, these guys don't get open very easily

QB - this is the big one.

I watched the 2014 Iowa-Nebraska game this week. That version of Iowa offense was more painful to watch in some ways than what they've done this year. The play selection was Neanderthal. They had maybe 2 run plays. Rudock took for ever to wind up and throw ..he was a bit better than Padilla.

So yes Brian's' offense is more variable and diverse than Greg Davis' and Ken's ...but its ineffective. And its been stink for more than just the last 2 years. It stunk in 2019 and in spite of Fant and Hockenson, it struggled in 2018 and it stunk in 2017 too

At this point the offense lacks luster so much that recruiting has suffered.

Bad offensive line - Talent

WR's - say what you want, these guys don't get open very easily

QB - this is the big one.
don’t get me wrong, Brian is a terriable OC. Any other school in the country and he has already been fired. And folks are crazy if they don’t think Kirk has the final say in this predictable offense. I still think it starts with the Oline. Watching Plumb block air yesterday while a DL destroyed Padilla was unreal.

I’d agree with you if Brian hadn’t been on the staff as long as he has. How does he have an offensive line this bad? The current state of OL at Iowa is unconscionable. We have a supposed OL guru at HC, a former OL player and coach at OC, and an OL coach who has been coaching that group at the collegiate level for nearly 20 years. I don’t know where to place the majority of the blame, but I can’t pretend that none of it falls on Brian.

Does James want to come coach OL when he’s ready to retire from the NFL? Dude is still jacked and one of the more reliable backup IOLs in the league. Maybe he can be the new Doyle, bring him in as an assistant strength and conditioning and OL coach?
The last thing this program needs is more Ferentz people

I actually thought Brian called a solid game yesterday. I really do think he is a good play caller and he did the best with what we have. But someone has to take the blame for the talent level. It is not acceptable. That someone is presumably Brian.
And the oline can't block.

You don’t have to believe me. I’m cool with it.
I agree with u Fry. The question is does the money see what we see? Do they not want better? Can they influence change? How can they be happy with an offense ranked in the bottom of college football....year after year?

If this team is what we have recruited as scholarship talent, then I believe whoever is responsible for offensive recruiting should be fired.
Who would that be?

Latest posts