Brian gets too much blame

This is Kirk's offense. Brian should take some blame, but the buck stops with Kirk. We've hated every OC he's ever had. Is that a coincidence?

He was OC when Nate Stanley threw 68 TD's in 3 seasons. Things went to hell after that. Is that just because he forgot how to coach after Stanley left?

YearIowa points per gameNational Rank
201925.8t-88

Brian Ferentz takes the blame and he's the whipping boy for Iowa fans, but so was Greg Davis and KOK.... let's just face that it's Kirk.

This is Kirk's offense. Brian should take some blame, but the buck stops with Kirk. We've hated every OC he's ever had. Is that a coincidence?

He was OC when Nate Stanley threw 68 TD's in 3 seasons. Things went to hell after that. Is that just because he forgot how to coach after Stanley left?

201925.8t-88

Brian Ferentz takes the blame and he's the whipping boy for Iowa fans, but so was Greg Davis and KOK.... let's just face that it's Kirk.
The difference was that KOK and GD both had success running an offense before taking the reigns as OC at Iowa. Yes you have to start somewhere, but BF got his opportunity because his dad's the HC and by rapidly progressing up coaching ladder at what many see as too fast a pace. It is Kirk's offense and there's no disputing that. However BF is the least experienced OC we've had and based on his overall body of work as OC I see absolutely zero reason for those to be skeptical of his ability of running the offense or those absolutely floored with the fact that he is still OC.

Maybe it isn't fair that BF get's scrutinized because he's KF's kid and running what many believe to be an offense in which KF's calling the shots. But let's be honest, based on his body of work he's fortunate he's calling the shots in dad's offense because anywhere else he's unlikely to get the opportunity as quickly as he did and it's definitely doubtful that he's still employed based on what he's done since being gifted the job as OC.

The difference was that KOK and GD both had success running an offense before taking the reigns as OC at Iowa. Yes you have to start somewhere, but BF got his opportunity because his dad's the HC and by rapidly progressing up coaching ladder at what many see as too fast a pace. It is Kirk's offense and there's no disputing that. However BF is the least experienced OC we've had and based on his overall body of work as OC I see absolutely zero reason for those to be skeptical of his ability of running the offense or those absolutely floored with the fact that he is still OC.

Maybe it isn't fair that BF get's scrutinized because he's KF's kid and running what many believe to be an offense in which KF's calling the shots. But let's be honest, based on his body of work he's fortunate he's calling the shots in dad's offense because anywhere else he's unlikely to get the opportunity as quickly as he did and it's definitely doubtful that he's still employed based on what he's done since being gifted the job as OC.
I agree, he got ramped up and the opportunity as quickly as he did because he's Kirk's kid. No argument. I think he did have a little bit of pedigree that you are completely ignoring (position coach in the NFL and in the B1G) but I'll allow it. I still stand by my point in that, he's every bit as good as the KOK or GD as an OC and in fact, I think he's loosened up his dad a little as far as becoming more open to risks and situational football. He would have been fired from any other school, but Iowa's program isn't like any others. It's just not. Stability does have some redeeming qualities and Iowa puts a lot of equity into it when it comes to their Athletic Department and sports programs.

I agree, he got ramped up and the opportunity as quickly as he did because he's Kirk's kid. No argument. I think he did have a little bit of pedigree that you are completely ignoring (position coach in the NFL and in the B1G) but I'll allow it.
Wasn't BF rumored to become OC for O'Brien with the Texans?

Wasn't BF rumored to become OC for O'Brien with the Texans?
he was, I don't think that was a valid rumor, but O'Brien has stated several times how he'd like to hire him on his staff publicly. That said, I don't think he's a wanted commodity any longer for OC positions. I think he'd have a place on the HC market for a smaller school or as a position coach in the NFL.

That said, we had the worst offense in the country and he's the son of our HC, I have no issues with people hating on him and wanting something else. Most schools would have parted from someone after that performance....but again, Iowa is a little different in that regards.

People wanted Greg Davis gone for the longest time, and it was warranted..... but what happened was the first 12-0 regular season in school history to end his tenure at Iowa. You could argue that was not because of the offense...but Iowa football, and Kirk Ferentz in particular have shown to be stubbornly rigid on loyalty to his staff. It's caused him a ton of problems, but overall, it's produced pretty great results for our program.

George Kittle makes it sound so easy what Kyle Shanahan does when he calls play. Run plays that don't work to set up plays later that go for long TD's.

Brian Ferentz has the first part down. Now he needs to find the players that can do the last part. Score long TDs. It helps when you got a Akrum Wadley or Noah Fant or ISM to go for those long TDs. Its weird he never used Charlie Jones much in that role. It almost feels like KOK's influence was fading starting in 2021.

George Kittle makes it sound so easy what Kyle Shanahan does when he calls play. Run plays that don't work to set up plays later that go for long TD's.

Brian Ferentz has the first part down. Now he needs to find the players that can do the last part. Score long TDs. It helps when you got a Akrum Wadley or Noah Fant or ISM to go for those long TDs. Its weird he never used Charlie Jones much in that role. It almost feels like KOK's influence was fading starting in 2021.
I think they called several big plays last year that would have been big but the OLine failed often and Petras missed a few too.

201925.8t-88

good post.

I can't tell you how many years in a row that I am frustrated by October 1st. And by November I'm telling myself that I'm just not going to watch any more (but I always do). I walk around talking to myself mutteriing things like "Kirk has a callous desregard and indeiference for offense" damn it history has demonstrated his indiference for offense. He has a low bar for offense. Many coaches insist on competent offense, but not kirk. He has low standards for offense....I arrive at the conclusion that 'He just doesn't care"

good post.

I can't tell you how many years in a row that I am frustrated by October 1st. And by November I'm telling myself that I'm just not going to watch any more (but I always do). I walk around talking to myself mutteriing things like "Kirk has a callous desregard and indeiference for offense" damn it history has demonstrated his indiference for offense. He has a low bar for offense. Many coaches insist on competent offense, but not kirk. He has low standards for offense....I arrive at the conclusion that 'He just doesn't care"
yeah, he just wants to win and doesn't care how it's accomplished. Hard to argue that mentality hasn't worked pretty well for him. There are many ways to "skin a cat" as they say.... a lot of great teams have won with Defense. I LOVE the Iowa is different and I love that D is their thing. I am excited when Iowa is on Defense. I am as excited when they are defense as when they are on offense, probably more... cause it's a thing of beauty.

I don't give a shit if we score a lot... just win more than you lose and do it over and over and over and over.

Latest posts