Brian Ferentz

How does he have a job? I know Daddy won't fire him. He is the worst offensive coordinator in the Big Ten, maybe the nation. He has about 10 total plays at his disposal, and can not adjust to any type of game situation. Run 2 quarterback sneaks and can't get 2 yards, Petras had no shot on the first one as Purdue adjusted, then run again against 8 men in the box! They outcoached us again and again. He should have been gone long ago, now skill players don't want to come to Iowa, and he makes us look like a joke. Last week was defense and one blown coverage. 7 points against Purdue is the stuff that gets you fired! or should if Daddy didn't protect you.

How does he have a job? I know Daddy won't fire him. He is the worst offensive coordinator in the Big Ten, maybe the nation. He has about 10 total plays at his disposal, and can not adjust to any type of game situation. Run 2 quarterback sneaks and can't get 2 yards, Petras had no shot on the first one as Purdue adjusted, then run again against 8 men in the box! They outcoached us again and again. He should have been gone long ago, now skill players don't want to come to Iowa, and he makes us look like a joke. Last week was defense and one blown coverage. 7 points against Purdue is the stuff that gets you fired! or should if Daddy didn't protect you.
Did BF even go to work last week? It looked like a team that didn't practice all week

Bing, bing, bing, bing, we have a winner. Can someone tell me BF's NCAA rankings as an OC coordinator? Has he ever finished above 100?

If you are going to qb sneak first of all put in the fullback and a tailback to push the QB ahead and second as you said PU slid their D line all together and their is no rule that says your QB cant call another play to handoff to Goodson or that Petras cant slide down the LOS with the sneak looking for a soft spot.

I assume youre looking for something beyond

nepotism

i really noticed last week against PS and this weeks game that BF is fairly easy to predict. When he calls a run play to the outside the very next play will always be straight up the middle. Doesn’t matter who is in or what side they run to, next play will be a run up the middle. Usually for no gain.

I’ve often given him the benefit as his offense has been doing enough to win but he clearly has no idea what he’s doing and game situations don’t affect his play calling.

I begin to wonder about that. When KF retires, I believe one emphasis will be on more offense.

After this run Kirk is getting another extension so I think eventually Brian moves back to the NFL Daddy will get him a job.

Just got home from the game, this loss was a real team loss, but Brian.......there is just no cohesion to anything he runs offensively. Watching Purdue run basically 3 plays or variations of said plays, it was amazing their attention to detail. They sold every fake, picked up every blitz but one, and their QB made every throw. Iowa on the other hand, couldn't find any continuity. What does Iowa do well offensively? What are they good at? Brian has no signature play or go to scheme that works. In his offense he goes for every 2nd and short or third and short with a run. Almost every offensive coordinator in the country takes their shots on 2 and short. The predictability of Iowa's offense is pathetic. They have to earn every yard on any drive and that is very difficult. The defense was not steller, but at the end of the day 24 points is acceptable. They played nearly the entire game and had the big stop on the touchback giving Iowa all the momentum. We then attempt deep-drop throws at the 20 yard line and get sacked on consecutive plays. The play that just leaves me reeling is the QB sneak on third down when we trying to score without running clock. I would have been fine with a run, pass, or most anything but a sneak? Petras is the other problem, he makes bad decisions and he is unforgiveable slow. The same defensive tackle ran him him down on countless plays, many of these plays he left the pocket for no reason. I'm not melting down, I didn't believe Iowa was the 2nd ranked in the country nor that this game was going to be an easy win. I did think it was going to be a close game, I was wrong.

I'd lay money BF will NOT be the next Iowa head coach.
Baggage from the racial issue will not go away. New president has no allegiance to either Ferentz. BF does not have track record of sufficient success to rise to the top of a pool of strong candidates and you can bet your life the Iowa job will attract a strong pool of applicants when the KF era ends. Hayden & Kirk have elevated the status of the Iowa job. Iowa has demonstrated it is not afraid to pay big bucks for a successful coach. There will be huge national interest in the Iowa job when it becomes available.

Not a BF fan but…
If your line can’t block.
Your receivers can’t get open.
And your QB is immobile.
Not sure any scheme can overcome this.

It's tough to call plays when no one blocks, they can get quick pressure on the QB with their front 4, which allows their LB's to sit and take away the short passing game, which makes us have to go deeper, which we don't have time to do because they get quick pressure on the QB. When he does have time, there's no one downfield that's open. Sometimes it's been x's and o's and sometimes it's been jimmies and joes.

Also, Levar Woods will be the next head coach.

Not a BF fan but…
If your line can’t block.
Your receivers can’t get open.
And your QB is immobile.
Not sure any scheme can overcome this.
Ok we lay it on the feet of a non-mobile QB. Last time I checked the offensive coordinator gets to choose his QB and who they recruit. In the first half Petras got enough time to throw. He just couldn't pull the trigger. There was not continual pressure until the lead got to be over 10 points. Iowa threw for a couple of first downs to LaPorta then have consecutive plays blow up usually runs up the gut. I saw a lot of receivers breaking open but Petras just hung onto the ball then threw late. I don't know why he doesn't trust his receivers. They haven't had an answer for the blitz all year, where are the screens, quick hits to the receivers, or anything to make a defense pay. My gut feeling is Petras can't read defenses or react fast enough to make a play. Your right, you can't scheme for that.

Latest posts