Brian Ferentz Striving to Do His Part in Achieving Hawkeye Wins

RobHowe

Administrator
A high-scoring unit would be nice, but coordinator searching for consistency, playing complementary football and winnings games:

LINK

The apple don’t fall far from the tree. After reading this article I think I am going to puke.

That’s not a criticism of your article Rob as I thought it well written. It is Brian’s attitude already as an offensive coordinator. He would be run out of town with any other school who takes winning seriously.

I see the apathy that has set in here on the forum. Just look at all the responses and excitement Brian has stirred up with his comments. Rationalizing his pathetic job performance as a offensive coordinator..................SNORT!!!!

That is a weird take BigD. He flat out said the most important thing is to win games and a championship or did I miss something?

The apple don’t fall far from the tree. After reading this article I think I am going to puke.

That’s not a criticism of your article Rob as I thought it well written. It is Brian’s attitude already as an offensive coordinator. He would be run out of town with any other school who takes winning seriously.

I see the apathy that has set in here on the forum. Just look at all the responses and excitement Brian has stirred up with his comments. Rationalizing his pathetic job performance as a offensive coordinator..................SNORT!!!!

I thought his job performance was pretty average last year overall. Pathetic vs. Wisconsin and Purdue, fantastic vs. OSU, Nebby and ISU. All in all pretty average.

That is a weird take BigD. He flat out said the most important thing is to win games and a championship or did I miss something?
Isn't that something that literally every coach in every sport at every level says? That they want to win?

He makes no mention of how. It's fairly obvious at this point that he drank dad's Kool-Aid and is just interested in running 190 lbs RBs full speed into 1,200 lbs of defensive line twice in a row, and then throwing his QB to the wolves on the world's most obvious pass play. Beathard and Stanley should have gotten purple hearts every year from the Ferentz family along with their Christmas cards.

In my opinion the guy doesn't try to even attempt anything new; maybe because he's overwhelmed, maybe because he doesn't have the knowledge. Who knows. What I do know is that a guy shouldn't be put in a position like this without the ability and confidence. Brian can't just stand there and preach about how he doesn't have what it takes, yet, which is what he's doing.

Kirk is making this into a family business and guaranteed cash cow, rather than a football team with expectations (other than 6-6).

I thought his job performance was pretty average last year overall. Pathetic vs. Wisconsin and Purdue, fantastic vs. OSU, Nebby and ISU. All in all pretty average.

I'd agree.

Year 1. New terminology. New position coaches. New QB. Freshmen OTs. I'll cut some slack.

Now, we need to move forward. We can't have performances like we did against Michigan State, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Purdue last year. The mulligan has been issued (from me at least). Words don't really matter now. It's time for production.

Isn't that something that literally every coach in every sport at every level says? That they want to win?

He makes no mention of how. It's fairly obvious at this point that he drank dad's Kool-Aid and is just interested in running 190 lbs RBs full speed into 1,200 lbs of defensive line twice in a row, and then throwing his QB to the wolves on the world's most obvious pass play. Beathard and Stanley should have gotten purple hearts every year from the Ferentz family along with their Christmas cards.

In my opinion the guy doesn't try to even attempt anything new; maybe because he's overwhelmed, maybe because he doesn't have the knowledge. Who knows. What I do know is that a guy shouldn't be put in a position like this without the ability and confidence. Brian can't just stand there and preach about how he doesn't have what it takes, yet, which is what he's doing.

Kirk is making this into a family business and guaranteed cash cow, rather than a football team with expectations (other than 6-6).

You took the words right out of mouth. Couldn’t have said it better.

I'd agree.

Year 1. New terminology. New position coaches. New QB. Freshmen OTs. I'll cut some slack.

Now, we need to move forward. We can't have performances like we did against Michigan State, Wisconsin, Northwestern and Purdue last year. The mulligan has been issued (from me at least). Words don't really matter now. It's time for production.

I couldn’t agree more with this also.

So Coach, then urban Meyer must be real real stupid. Got a complete and total ass whooping.

I'd agree.

Will help if we don't have the fluke no hit fumbles also.

So Coach, then urban Meyer must be real real stupid. Got a complete and total ass whooping.
You can do better than repeating the same shtick over and over can't you? I have faith in you.

One thing I don't get is why you keep using the Ohio State game to try and make everyone think the Hawks are Alabama or something. Either Urban Meyer makes your lady bits tingle (you mention him quite a bit) or you're his bastard child, one of the two. I did read somewhere Urb liked to chase the chubby ones around the Cincinnati campus back in the day.

The thing is they showed that they can produce, really produce. I refuse to believe that the offense putting up the results they did at ISU, against OSU and Nebraska were strait up flukes. To have the Jekyll and Hyde type of performances week to week is so frustrating. Come to find out later in the year but that win at ISU was a good win (tough to admit that btw) So having the performances against Wisky and Purdue are just unexplainable and unexceptable. Variety and unpredictability should be the two main goals for OCs.

Throwing out of formations that are traditionally used for running and on running downs and vice versa provide such a distinct advantage for the offense that you'd think OCs would constantly be looking to mix it up play calling wise. Don't get me wrong there's times you have to do the smart thing and play conservatively or even a tad predictably. But doing it all the time as a style of play sure isn't a recipe for sustained success. Especially if your talent level isn't head and shoulders better than your opponents.

I look forward to improvement all around with this being BFs 2nd go around with a returning QB and some good skill position talent. Putting up 55 on OSU was amazing but I won't use it as an expectation. Playing more consistent and aggressive sure will be though.

I'd agree.

I should correct myself. The offensive performance was either pathetic in the games you mentioned while it was fabulous in the ISU, OSU, and Nebby games. How much of that was coaching and how much it was execution by the players in both cases I am not sure. In the end it does fall back a lot on the OC.

The thing is they showed that they can produce, really produce. I refuse to believe that the offense putting up the results they did at ISU, against OSU and Nebraska were strait up flukes. To have the Jekyll and Hyde type of performances week to week is so frustrating. Come to find out later in the year but that win at ISU was a good win (tough to admit that btw) So having the performances against Wisky and Purdue are just unexplainable and unexceptable. Variety and unpredictability should be the two main goals for OCs.

Throwing out of formations that are traditionally used for running and on running downs and vice versa provide such a distinct advantage for the offense that you'd think OCs would constantly be looking to mix it up play calling wise. Don't get me wrong there's times you have to do the smart thing and play conservatively or even a tad predictably. But doing it all the time as a style of play sure isn't a recipe for sustained success. Especially if your talent level isn't head and shoulders better than your opponents.

I look forward to improvement all around with this being BFs 2nd go around with a returning QB and some good skill position talent. Putting up 55 on OSU was amazing but I won't use it as an expectation. Playing more consistent and aggressive sure will be though.
The OSU thing was because they didn't blitz. The teams that did blitz us won.

That and I feel like the gas ran out for everyone after the Penn State game.

The OSU thing was because they didn't blitz. The teams that did blitz us won.

That and I feel like the gas ran out for everyone after the Penn State game.
I know they didn't early on in the game anyway and that had a ton to do with our success early in the game. They were blitzing a LB on the weak side of that play Stanley had to stiff arm Hubbard and hit Hockensen for his TD if I remember right. But yeah our Oline wasn't great at pass protecting and worse when blitzed against. Jon Miller has said more than a few times how if he were the other coaches he'd have blitzed us pretty much every play. Bring no less than 5 rushers every play and make us burn them a couple times before adjusting. Because we sure didn't seem capable of doing that..

I've always felt that the biggest problem with the KF/Ken O/BF offense is that the plays take to long to get called and get the QB under center. When their offense is playing a vanilla defense, it works fairly well. When they play a defense with a lot of pre-snap movement, it does poorly. I can't count the number of times I've seen a defender walk up, bait the Iowa QB into an audible, only to see him back up and watch the defense shut the play down.
There's a very good reason why OCs wait until the offense lines up before they call the play from the sidelines. They want to see what the defense is doing and if the defense shifts, there's still time in the play clock to make an additional adjustment. Historically horrible tempo.

Wadley saved out butts against ISU. OSU seems like a fluke, perfect storm of offense and defense. The Nebraska game they quit on their coach.

Still, the Hawks put up points in those games.

For some reason a few games a year we look competent, then it's back to horrid. I'm tying to think of any games since 2012 where we've had back to back great offensive games. We smash NW one year thinking we found a star in Wadley, and we go up to MN and have nearly 1 yard rushing with Weisman (very little Wadley)

It's just so inconsistent.

Wadley saved out butts against ISU. OSU seems like a fluke, perfect storm of offense and defense. The Nebraska game they quit on their coach.

Still, the Hawks put up points in those games.

For some reason a few games a year we look competent, then it's back to horrid. I'm tying to think of any games since 2012 where we've had back to back great offensive games. We smash NW one year thinking we found a star in Wadley, and we go up to MN and have nearly 1 yard rushing with Weisman (very little Wadley)

It's just so inconsistent.
Yeah Wadley had a big big day for sure. Stanley had a balanced usage of receivers. 6 receivers had 30 yards or more receiving in the game. Nobody had 100 yards. (Wadley had like 70 something to lead them half of it on one play)
It wasn't like they just scored either they moved the ball and had a lot of yards. For Iowa to succeed they need to convert alot of its 3rd downs and keeping drives going. That seems to make or break them as much as anything. Get into convertible 3rd down situations and then do it.

Yeah Wadley had a big big day for sure. Stanley had a balanced usage of receivers. 6 receivers had 30 yards or more receiving in the game. Nobody had 100 yards. (Wadley had like 70 something to lead them half of it on one play)
It wasn't like they just scored either they moved the ball and had a lot of yards. For Iowa to succeed they need to convert alot of its 3rd downs and keeping drives going. That seems to make or break them as much as anything. Get into convertible 3rd down situations and then do it.
EXACTLY!! Keep the chains moving.
I hate to simplify it to this extreme but I would almost lay money on the statistics showing that in years we have the highest percentage of third down completions and or conversions we had successful seasons.
We just have to make sure first and second, put us in optimal situations to do that.

Latest posts