Brian Ferentz Looking for Answers on Offense

I think many of the ideas in this thread require a much better OL and WR corps, but there seem to be some common sense adjustments from AFA here.

Obvious statement perhaps, but you always have to remember anything that has occurred to a halfway decent OC has also probably occurred to a halfway decent DC. Especially so in conference games this far into the season. That's why you are always introducing wrinkles and trying to disrupt your tendencies, but there is a big difference between "disrupting tendencies" and "changing your whole offensive philosophy". Ultimately, you gotta stick within the parameters of how you're built (probably a bit more so with Iowa since we tend to be on the talent limited side of things, especially in offensive skill positions).

It's an 11 v 11 game and, at this level of athletes, windows of opportunity tend to be small and fleeting. Unless you've played, coached, or made a serious study of game film at this level, it's probably hard for us mortals to get our brains wrapped around it.

OC seems to be the #1 job fans think they could do a better job at than most professionals. There's a shitload that goes into it - by play, by drive, by game, by season - and, unless you're lucky enough to have a major talent differential, the reality is most of a good game plan is about picking at the margins and hoping to effect a fractional improvement in yards per play over the course of a game.

Of course, BF, like any OC, isn't above reproach...I just think there is only so much you can tell from the couch. There have been, over the course of the season and literally 100s of offensive snaps, maybe 2-3 plays that were straight up "huh? Why?" situations for me but, even in those situations, I think you have to be open to the possibility as a couch coach that there was something intelligent going on beyond your grasp.

Speaking specifically of BF, him being the coach's kid, it's really easy to fall into "let them eat cake" type fantasies. As in, he's some spoiled brat who's been undeservedly been given the keys to the offense and could care less if he puts it into the ditch. It's possible, but I tend to think not:

1. Firstly, BF didn't just fall off the turnip truck. He's a relatively young guy, but he's followed a long road under intense tutelage from a variety of esteemed mentors (not the least of which being his old man)

2. If you are inclined to doubt his passion, he's lived and breathed Iowa football for essentially his entire life at this point at an intensity level that even the most ardent HN dweller would probably find extreme.

3. There is no question he is essentially in a long term try out for the HC job. If not The HC Job, at least a HC job. Even if you subscribe to a theory that's he's purely self-interested, then you have to accept there is something like $5M/yr on the table to keep him interested and motivated.

All in all, I have serious doubts BF is, through negligence, carelessness, or just pure stupidity, leaving a bunch of points on the field any given week. I do understand, from a fan psychology standpoint, why he is an attractive target for venting frustrations onto.
Really hard for fans to buy into that when he had a bye week to get something figured out. He was predictable and out coached from the first snap. Wisconsin coaches,players and fans knew what he was going to call before each play. Every fan is an armchair HC or QB. But every fan has the right to be pissed when their team plays like this. Especially after getting embarrassed by Purdue at home and then having 2 weeks to prep for Wisconsin.

How often is Iowa in 12 personnel? Spitballing here I would say 20-30% of the time. Unless BF is specifically scheming something up with those formations I don’t know that can work throughout a game.
hell the way the offense is playing they need 14 players to make something work..

BF knows his shit! Here's his play book!

Attachments

• Healthworks-Poop-Infographic-327x1024.png
    Healthworks-Poop-Infographic-327x1024.png
    382.8 KB · Views: 2
not for nothing but: If this performance or lack there of was right after an emotional and physical win. I think most folks would still be upset but understand let downs happen after huge wins. BUT, this performance was after 2 weeks to prepare. 2 weeks to get back after it after the Purdue “letdown” game. They got stomped from Purdue. Had 2 weeks to prep. And they looked worse then the Purdue game.

what a bunch of bullshit...Iowa would have scored more points the last two games had they let the players call their own plays. What a bunch of arrogant asses on the Iowa staff. Somehow they think their "Iowa way" is good enough and that they do not need to game plan for other teams, or change things up from week to week, just the same old shit.

Latest posts