Brewster names Offensive Cordinator

iahawk20

Brewster Names Horton Offensive Coordinator

University of Minnesota head football coach Tim Brewster announced today that Jeff Horton has been hired as the Golden Gophers’ offensive coordinator. Horton is a 22-year veteran of collegiate coaching. He has spent the past four seasons in the National Football League.

“I’m thrilled to have Jeff Horton join our staff,†Brewster said. “He brings tremendous leadership and experience running offenses and coaching quarterbacks. I think he’s a tremendous teacher in all aspects of quarterback play and offensive football. His overall knowledge will help make this a seamless transition for our players.â€

Horton began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Minnesota in 1984. He is looking forward to being back in the Twin Cities.

“I’m really excited about the opportunity Coach Brewster is giving me here at Minnesota,†Horton said. “I started my college coaching career here 26 years ago. I’m coming back to a great city, a great university and a program that is really starting to take off. I’m proud to be a part of it.â€

Horton coached the quarterbacks for the NFL’s Detroit Lions last season. Prior to his stint with the Lions, he spent three seasons (2006-08) as special assistant/offense and assistant offensive line coach for the St. Louis Rams, where he worked under head coach Scott Linehan.

Prior to his time in the NFL, Horton spent 22 years in the college ranks, including serving as quarterbacks coach at the University of Wisconsin from 1999-2005.

During Horton's seven years at Wisconsin, the Badgers won the 1999 Big Ten Championship and the 2000 Rose Bowl. Horton was instrumental in the development of quarterback Brooks Bollinger, who led the Badgers to a 30-12 record over four seasons. Horton's quarterbacks hold the first-, second- and fourth-best career passing totals in school history.

From 1994-98, Horton was the head coach at Nevada-Las Vegas, where he earned Big West Coach of the Year honors in 1994 after the Rebels won the 1994 conference title and the Las Vegas Bowl.

In 1993, he was head coach at Nevada, where the Wolf Pack had the nation's top-ranked offense that season. He also served as Nevada’s wide receivers coach in 1992 after serving as the assistant head coach at UNLV from 1990-91.

Horton served as an assistant coach at Nevada from 1985-89 and helped and helped lead the Wolf Pack to Big Sky Conference Championships in 1985 and 1986.

A native of Arlington, Texas, Horton graduated from Nevada and earned a master's degree in educational administration from the University of San Francisco in 1993.

THE HORTON FILE

Detroit Lions - 2009
• Quarterbacks Coach 2009

St. Louis Rams - 2006-08
• Assistant Offensive Line - 2008
• Special Assistant/Offense - 2006-07

University of Wisconsin - 1999-2005
• Quarterbacks Coach - 1999-2005

UNLV - 1994-98
• Head Coach - 1994-98

University of Nevada - 1992-93
• Head Coach - 1993
• Wide Receivers - 1992

UNLV - 1990-91
• Assistant Head Coach - 1990-91

University of Nevada - 1985-89
• Assistant Coach - 1985-89

University of Minnesota - 1984
• Graduate Assistant - 1984

Looks to be a good hire by Brewster. It appears that he finally realized that the thing he really needed was an excellent teacher on his staff rather than a young, dynamic recruiter type. If he can't turn the corner ... he could end up getting canned sooner rather than later.

"Horton coached the quarterbacks for the NFL’s Detroit Lions last season. Prior to his stint with the Lions, he spent three seasons (2006-08) as special assistant/offense and assistant offensive line coach for the St. Louis Rams, where he worked under head coach Scott Linehan."

How many wins did he see in those years?

Brewster Names Horton Offensive Coordinator

University of Minnesota head football coach Tim Brewster announced today that Jeff Horton has been hired as the Golden Gophers’ offensive coordinator. Horton is a 22-year veteran of collegiate coaching. He has spent the past four seasons in the National Football League.

“I’m thrilled to have Jeff Horton join our staff,†Brewster said. “He brings tremendous leadership and experience running offenses and coaching quarterbacks. I think he’s a tremendous teacher in all aspects of quarterback play and offensive football. His overall knowledge will help make this a seamless transition for our players.â€

Horton began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Minnesota in 1984. He is looking forward to being back in the Twin Cities.

“I’m really excited about the opportunity Coach Brewster is giving me here at Minnesota,†Horton said. “I started my college coaching career here 26 years ago. I’m coming back to a great city, a great university and a program that is really starting to take off. I’m proud to be a part of it.â€

Horton coached the quarterbacks for the NFL’s Detroit Lions last season. Prior to his stint with the Lions, he spent three seasons (2006-08) as special assistant/offense and assistant offensive line coach for the St. Louis Rams, where he worked under head coach Scott Linehan.

Prior to his time in the NFL, Horton spent 22 years in the college ranks, including serving as quarterbacks coach at the University of Wisconsin from 1999-2005.

During Horton's seven years at Wisconsin, the Badgers won the 1999 Big Ten Championship and the 2000 Rose Bowl. Horton was instrumental in the development of quarterback Brooks Bollinger, who led the Badgers to a 30-12 record over four seasons. Horton's quarterbacks hold the first-, second- and fourth-best career passing totals in school history.

From 1994-98, Horton was the head coach at Nevada-Las Vegas, where he earned Big West Coach of the Year honors in 1994 after the Rebels won the 1994 conference title and the Las Vegas Bowl.

In 1993, he was head coach at Nevada, where the Wolf Pack had the nation's top-ranked offense that season. He also served as Nevada’s wide receivers coach in 1992 after serving as the assistant head coach at UNLV from 1990-91.

Horton served as an assistant coach at Nevada from 1985-89 and helped and helped lead the Wolf Pack to Big Sky Conference Championships in 1985 and 1986.

A native of Arlington, Texas, Horton graduated from Nevada and earned a master's degree in educational administration from the University of San Francisco in 1993.

THE HORTON FILE

Detroit Lions - 2009
• Quarterbacks Coach 2009

St. Louis Rams - 2006-08
• Assistant Offensive Line - 2008
• Special Assistant/Offense - 2006-07

University of Wisconsin - 1999-2005
• Quarterbacks Coach - 1999-2005

UNLV - 1994-98
• Head Coach - 1994-98

University of Nevada - 1992-93
• Head Coach - 1993