Brent Yarina's 5 BIG 2014-15 Breakout Players

Gesell has to get better in every aspect of his game to belong on that list. The only thing he has to have a minimal gain is the assist/to ratio, or if stay similar.

The rest of his game needs work. Defensively, he is tough, but still makes some bad fouls at the wrong time. Also, he is not a good transition PG, he looks somewhat lost in transition and tends to over dribble, or take a very contested shot, or passes very late. Shooting, he has to improve on shot selection, just because it is a wide open shot, it doesn't mean it is a good one. Work to get an easier one and his scoring numbers would have been much better and also, stop driving deep and getting your shot blocked.

Look, I think MG is a good player, but he definitely has a lot to improve upon to belong on a list like that and Iowa is unfortunately going to hinge its season on if he does belong on that list or not, if he does belong Iowa is going to have a good season, if not, well, the ending of this past season will be an afterthought.

Dumb post or weak troll attempt? Probably both.

What was dumb about his post? Jok is slow and plays bad defense. He would even be sniffing the court at ISU right now. Obviously he going to get good minutes at Iowa next year but that will be more about. Iowa's lack of skilled guards.

What was dumb about his post? Jok is slow and plays bad defense. He would even be sniffing the court at ISU right now. Obviously he going to get good minutes at Iowa next year but that will be more about. Iowa's lack of skilled guards.

Peter is not slow. He plays bad defense (which did improve somewhat during the year) because he is either out of position or taking gambles that he could get away with in High School but can't at the D1 level. His issue is learning and experience, not lack of speed.

Saying he still should not get any substantial minutes if he improves is ignorant. I assume you meant to say Jok would not be sniffing the court at ISU.

If Jok improves as much in the off season as he did from the beginning of the season to the end of the season he will be playing at Iowa and would be playing at ISU. I am very confident Jok will be a better all around player than Iowa State's Matt Thomas next year. Thomas wasn't good this year and played. Jok is already the better offensive player of the two...FG %, FT % and 3P FG %. Jok also has far more upside.

Nobody cares if he'd play @ISU. He doesn't go to school there. Please go away or stop bringing up ISU. This is Hawkeye Nation not Clown College.

Gesell cannot be held to some unfair standard that this season set. With the baffling depth this roster had as well as Senior and overall upperclassman depth, our true natural talents were left without a chance to truly develop or take a visible next step. Our true natural talents, of course, all being Sophomores. We needed Gesell, Uthoff or Woodbury to be a third routine serious threat. I'll even let you throw both Jok and Olaseni in there. Nobody did. So why are Olaseni, Woodbury and Uthoff these revelations when:

Gesell is the only one to show extended success given a high dosage of minutes. 7 games, one full month, 12 PPG and 5 Assists, 1.7 TO, 1.5 Steals in 27 MPG. And that was with a team falling apart behind him. Why am I ignoring the 3-4 games to finish the season where he finally matched the team's performance of pure suck? Because 7 games are more than 3 games. Simple, IMO. Also keep in mind this included a 3-17 shooting stretch. Again, that's during his leap FORWARD. I can point out he was forcing up a ton of shots out of team desperation, but I'm not here to make excuses for him. I'm here to say he's freakin' NAILED being a Div I, B1G college PG in every aspect besides shooting.

Give him 30 minutes at PG as a junior without a wretched shooting slump, enjoy 15 PPG and 6 AST to 2 TO even with the most modest of improvements. Only Olaseni can claim his type of sustained success as a breakout player, and he's a Junior. So-Jr take more noticeable strides than Jr-Sr, pretty much in any sport across the boards. I do expect this fully from him, because he's done it already. 8 of the final 11 games. 12 and 5 is the worst we're going to get out of him. Oh, *Lockdown Defender* is another attribute, and even his harshest of critics will admit at least a solid high average score here. That's huge! He's going to be our breakout player because he has already broken out. It was just really difficult to notice.

And seriously ISU fans trying to evaluate a guy like Jok, stop it. You know nothing about developing talent. You do not know what this looks like. You build off of other programs and then you storm the court after winning a home game against us. You don't know the first thing about Jok in the first place really, I'd wager. And I don't think you can contemplate what I'd wager that you saw nothing of him besides the 7-10 minutes he played during your season-defining victory against us. I'll double down on that particular bet.

No cheap shots, just facts. I see you've hit Nevada-Las Vegas this time. Come down to CHA and we'll show you how it's done. You'll see Jok this time. You'll see the developments of other players too because here's the kicker: you weren't able to stop guys like Gesell, Woodbury and Uthoff before they became real college players. Even Clemmons torched you as a freshman. You'll lose the game and we won't rush the floor. We'll put it in the win column and move on, as if you were never there. All you've accomplished over us these past 2 years is one extra NCAA Tournament excuse, and all it cost you was your identity. We know who will be starting for us in TWO years. You can't name five players off your next roster. Was it worth it?

So-Jr take more noticeable strides...

There are parts of your post I agree with and other parts not so much. I do agree with this statement when it comes to player development. This (Uthoff, Gesell, Clemmons and Woodbury) is why I'm not worried about a drop off next year and expect the team to improve for the 5th year in a row.

Maybe its just me but Jok looked like a completely different player in the games late in the B1G season and the NCAA tourney game than he did when B1G play opened against Nebraska.

He was still shooting the ball but was taking much better shots and just looked he belonged out there more on the defensive end. He still has a long ways to go on defense but he made some great progress in the 2nd half of the year.

Im most excited about him and Woodbury next year.

I have to disagree with this a little. Yes Mike made a handful of bad decisions late in the year. However, you can't have a 3 to 1 assist to T/O ratio if you are not a smart player and not making good decisions most of the time. I think most that are around the program would agree that Mike has a high basketball IQ. Extremely intelligent in the classroom as well.
The handful of decisions he made weren't just bad. They are decisions that just can't be made. He committed a late foul in one of the games that was so stupid it made me want to kick my tv. He never should have been close enough to tempt the ref in calling it. Along with shot selection and shooting so poorly at times. Now I'm nit picking and know full well no pg is going to be perfect. I just think for him to take the next step those are the things that have to improve and yes he's played well and smart at times. But he's also made inexcusably bad plays that are anything but smart too.

Jok is also not 23-25 like some on your border line D-league roster.

And seriously ISU fans trying to evaluate a guy like Jok, stop it. You know nothing about developing talent. You do not know what this looks like. You build off of other programs and then you storm the court after winning a home game against us. You don't know the first thing about Jok in the first place really, I'd wager. And I don't think you can contemplate what I'd wager that you saw nothing of him besides the 7-10 minutes he played during your season-defining victory against us. I'll double down on that particular bet.

No cheap shots, just facts. I see you've hit Nevada-Las Vegas this time. Come down to CHA and we'll show you how it's done. You'll see Jok this time. You'll see the developments of other players too because here's the kicker: you weren't able to stop guys like Gesell, Woodbury and Uthoff before they became real college players. Even Clemmons torched you as a freshman. You'll lose the game and we won't rush the floor. We'll put it in the win column and move on, as if you were never there. All you've accomplished over us these past 2 years is one extra NCAA Tournament excuse, and all it cost you was your identity. We know who will be starting for us in TWO years. You can't name five players off your next roster. Was it worth it?

Is this guy for real?

A para is a woman who's given birth, so could be a woman with pms or something warranting a typing tirade

Saying he still should not get any substantial minutes if he improves is ignorant. I assume you meant to say Jok would not be sniffing the court at ISU.

If Jok improves as much in the off season as he did from the beginning of the season to the end of the season he will be playing at Iowa and would be playing at ISU. I am very confident Jok will be a better all around player than Iowa State's Matt Thomas next year. Thomas wasn't good this year and played. Jok is already the better offensive player of the two...FG %, FT % and 3P FG %. Jok also has far more upside.

I know all these words, but they don't seem to make sense in the order that you have them.

Latest posts