Brent Metcalf twitter today..

It may be marginal to a basketball fan I guess. There are a whole lot of wrestling fans me included that would argue whether it's marginal. I know this -- regardless of what sport your allegiance lies in -- It's a program that deserves a lot of respect considering all of the National titles that they've won. Not to mention the fact that they are Hawkeyes.

I never see it on national cable/network TV. So it's marginal.

Yeah, they've won a lot of titles and they dominate the sport, but on a national level, nobody really cares. Like college soccer or lacrosse. It gets a passing mention once or twice a year.

That's just the way it is.

Thunderhawk:

Between IPTV and the BigTen Network I was happy with the number Iowa duals on TV, and while the sport has roots in the midwest it's probably largest on the east coast, but big on the west coast too.

Your comment about nobody caring about Hawkeye wrestling on a national level, you meant Hawkeye Basketball right? Even when Hawkeye Basketball is really good they are barely a top 16 team. They have no relevance in their own sport EVEN when they used to be 'good'. Hawkeye Wrestling carries clout throughout the WORLD in wrestling circles. Just go the themat.com you will see a hugely popular website set up for the sole purpose of bashing Hawkeye Wrestling, now that is relevance in your sport.

Anyway, good luck to the new coach. Hope they can recruit tall kids with good hands, and quit embarrassing the tiger hawk logo.

I never see it on national cable/network TV. So it's marginal.

Yeah, they've won a lot of titles and they dominate the sport, but on a national level, nobody really cares. Like college soccer or lacrosse. It gets a passing mention once or twice a year.

That's just the way it is.

I understand your point and agree to a certain extent, but how many universities draw 15,000+ fans to watch a college lacross or soccer game? The Big Ten Network covered 26 wrestling matches/meets this season. That number will increase next season.

Rather than lacrosse, I think a better comparison is with college hockey. It's popularity is regional. But where it's popular, it's popular.

Thunderhawk:

Between IPTV and the BigTen Network I was happy with the number Iowa duals on TV, and while the sport has roots in the midwest it's probably largest on the east coast, but big on the west coast too.

Your comment about nobody caring about Hawkeye wrestling on a national level, you meant Hawkeye Basketball right? Even when Hawkeye Basketball is really good they are barely a top 16 team. They have no relevance in their own sport EVEN when they used to be 'good'. Hawkeye Wrestling carries clout throughout the WORLD in wrestling circles. Just go the themat.com you will see a hugely popular website set up for the sole purpose of bashing Hawkeye Wrestling, now that is relevance in your sport.

Anyway, good luck to the new coach. Hope they can recruit tall kids with good hands, and quit embarrassing the tiger hawk logo.

No, I definitely meant Iowa wrestling. Iowa basketball is on nationally-broadcast TV all the time, even though Iowa basketball SUCKS. I'm talking about the national prominence of the sport itself, not the dominance of a team within a certain sport.

It's ironic, you see, for Metcalf to say that nobody cares about a team in a sport that most casual sports fans follow when he hails from a sport that almost none of them do.

Don't take it too seriously. All wrestlers (at all levels) have this sort of attitude about basketball. Their seasons co exsist in small HS across America.

I understand your point and agree to a certain extent, but how many universities draw 15,000+ fans to watch a college lacross or soccer game? The Big Ten Network covered 26 wrestling matches/meets this season. That number will increase next season.

Rather than lacrosse, I think a better comparison is with college hockey. It's popularity is regional. But where it's popular, it's popular.

The problem with your comparison is that hockey has an actual professional league, as does soccer for that matter, so it's not a dead-end sport as far as professional prospects are concerned.

Of course there is professional wrestling, but I digress.

No, I definitely meant Iowa wrestling. Iowa basketball is on nationally-broadcast TV all the time, even though Iowa basketball SUCKS. I'm talking about the national prominence of the sport itself, not the dominance of a team within a certain sport.

It's ironic, you see, for Metcalf to say that nobody cares about a team in a sport that most casual sports fans follow when he hails from a sport that almost none of them do.

And again this twitter account isn't really Metcalf.

Not cool by any means. That's a... apparently I can't use the "d" word. But it's a d-***/plastic or paper container - move. Iowa wrestling is good, but no one watches it. Iowa bball only has to be mediocre to masacre wrestling. I'm glad our wrestling team does well. But they are not a profit sport or even a popular sport.

Are you kiddin me ? Wrestling put up to 10,000 fans in Carver, how many did BB put in, 3200, maybe? Better research before posting...

Are you kiddin me ? Wrestling put up to 10,000 fans in Carver, how many did BB put in, 3200, maybe? Better research before posting...

Here's some research for you:

Compare the TV ratings for March Madness (or any pedestrian mid-season weekend of college basketball for that matter) with the TV ratings of college wrestling (if you can even find it on TV.)

Wrestling is a popular sport at the U of I. That is true. Nationally, comparatively few people watch or care about it. That is also true. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Ever hear of a sport called MMA??? There are lots of wrestlers that are participating in that sport.

Wrestling is not as big as basketball - just as basketball is not as big as football. Since neither wrestling or basketball are revenue producers, I guess from that standpoint you could probably argue that both are irrelevant. Either way, I will root for anything Hawkeye. The fact that Iowa Wrestling has won as many titles as it has IMO makes it a special kind of program.

Thunderhawk, yes obviously basketball is much much more popular than wrestling. But on a national stage Hawkeye Wrestling is much much more popular than Hawkeye Basketball. Every person who follows wrestling in this nation follows hawkeyes (they either love them or hate them). At the same time Hawkeye Basketball can't sustain their own fan base.

Ever hear of a sport called MMA??? There are lots of wrestlers that are participating in that sport.

Wrestling is not as big as basketball - just as basketball is not as big as football. Since neither wrestling or basketball are revenue producers, I guess from that standpoint you could probably argue that both are irrelevant. Either way, I will root for anything Hawkeye. The fact that Iowa Wrestling has won as many titles as it has IMO makes it a special kind of program.

It is a special program. That is undeniable. It's just not one that brings recognition or revenue on par with football or basketball.

Here's some research for you:

Compare the TV ratings for March Madness (or any pedestrian mid-season weekend of college basketball for that matter) with the TV ratings of college wrestling (if you can even find it on TV.)

Wrestling is a popular sport at the U of I. That is true. Nationally, comparatively few people watch or care about it. That is also true. The two are not mutually exclusive.

I'm not saying wrestling is bigger than basketball, but wrestling is going to be all over ESPN this weekend. ESPNU has the the Thursday/Friday sessions and ESPN has the Saturday medal round session and finals on Saturday night so someone must watch it or ESPN wouldn't bother. I'm just saying it won't be hard to find wrestling this weekend on tv for their National Tournament.

It is a special program. That is undeniable. It's just not one that brings recognition or revenue on par with football or basketball.

When the information is available, I want you to compare the amount of revenue that basketball had this year vs. wrestling. Since there are more home games for basketball than wrestling, take the top 11 attended games for basketball and put it up against the 11 wrestling home meets. Take in to account merchandise and Ill bet wrestling comes close to beating basketball this year. Their tickets are even cheaper and ill bet it is close. Many basketball games this year I watched had pathetic attendance.

wambulance.jpg

Is that ambulance real? Because those words just seem really inappropriate to me. What about little kids asking "what is a beotch, mommy?" The coarsening of our society just continues to sadden me.

Latest posts