Breaking Nile Kinnick's record

MNHawkeyeFreak

What do you think about this? Would you have preferred KMM to stay in?

Why Ferentz didn’t want his own player to break a record | Hawk Central

IOWA CITY, Ia. — Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz knew that Kevonte Martin-Manley was tantalizingly close to passing Nile Kinnick in Iowa’s record book, and decided to keep it that way. Martin-Manley had 184 punt-return yards in the first half. Kinnick had a record 201 punt-return yards against Indiana on his way to the 1939 Heisman Trophy.
Manley didn’t add to his total in the second half.
“I heard that in the fourth quarter,â€￾ Ferentz said. “With all due respect to Kevonte … I love the guy, he’s a great young man — I think it’s OK if that one stayed where it’s at.
“Not that we would have held him back, but maybe we would have thought about it, actually. That’s one that needs to stay. I hope we press it again, though.â€￾

Eh, I'm okay with pulling him out of a game like that. It'd be a relatively cheap way to break the record, to do it in a 59-3 blowout. Now, if he were to have done that in a close game against OSU, then the hell with keeping Kinnick's record intact. Winning the game is more important.

moot point. They weren't going to punt to him again after those returns.

Unless they get it fixed, WMU is going to give up more of those this year.

In a close game KF keeps him in there on PR, and he might break the record. As it is, this was a blowout, and Weisman didn't see the field in the second half, and KMM did return punts. We especially didn't need him on PR where an injury could happen.

I would have supported it. Records are made to be broken. Does a 1939 record really mean anything anymore in this day and age of modern football?...not so much IMO>

con·serv·a·tive
kənˈsərvətiv/
adjective

• 1. holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation, typically in relation to politics or religion.

1. They weren't going to kick to KMM unless they were stupid.
2. It was a 59-3 blowout. Why kick them when they are down?
3. That was the right thing to do. So was taking a knee on the two yard line.

It's a moo point. (cow's opinion. No one cares... Joey Tribiani)

Actually they did kick it to him again after his second TD.... twice. Once he let it go and it rolled into the end zone. The other time he signaled a fair catch. After that, someone else was returning punts.

KMM could have easily broken Kinnick's record, but he had orders from KF.

I respect KF for letting a Nile Kinnick record remain in the books. It's Nile Kinnick for crying out loud.

Actually they did kick it to him again after his second TD.... twice. Once he let it go and it rolled into the end zone. The other time he signaled a fair catch. After that, someone else was returning punts.

KMM could have easily broken Kinnick's record, but he had orders from KF.

I respect KF for letting a Nile Kinnick record remain in the books. It's Nile Kinnick for crying out loud.

“Not that we would have held him back, but maybe we would have thought about it, actually. - Ferentz

He didn't give him orders to not return either of those punts. He was in a position where WM was trying down it inside the 20 and chose to fair catch one (which he could have gone a ways on) and let the other go. No story here. Chance didn't come up. And it was the right decision to pull him after that.

moot point. They weren't going to punt to him again after those returns.

Unless they get it fixed, WMU is going to give up more of those this year.

One of the CR Gazette guys tweeted during the game, saying that the WMU Special Teams Coach quit right before the start of the season. Their special teams are being coached by a Graduate Assistant.

And if KMart gets jacked up and hurt trying to field punts in garbage time just to break a record people would be furiously questioning why he was still in the game...

I would have supported it. Records are made to be broken. Does a 1939 record really mean anything anymore in this day and age of modern football?...not so much IMO>

Can we be honest here? Most players from that era would not even make the roster of a D-1A team.

I love the notion and the decision...

99% of the time I would agree with you on this. Nile Kinnick is an exception...for a few reasons.

What's really cool is that, while I can't prove it, I think even KMM might agree with this. He seems like he is an extremely stand up guy. Again, don't know him personally.

Can we be honest here? Most players from that era would not even make the roster of a D-1A team.

I would go as far to say that most players from from that era don't make a 1-AA, D2, good D3, or even a good NAIA school. Probably not even Juco. There's just been too much evolution in size, speed.

Lineman, RBs, LBs, DBs - everybody was roughly the same size.

All that said, not really the point. It's Nile Kinnick, I love the call to protect the record.

I would not have been in favor of putting KMM back in the game in the 4th quarter to try and break the record. I like the way it was handled by KF.