Breaking News

Not to mention last year's Georgia Tech movie.

But objectively, I wouldn't call the offenses of Oregon, Michigan or Ga Tech a "fraud". The points and yards they rack up are real. Oregon and Ga Tech in particular have decimated some decent teams over the last couple years. I would say instead that they are excellent offenses against most teams, with real vulnerabilities to the very best, well-executed defenses.

In short, the age-old football storyline: when a great offense meets a great defense, the great defense wins. Or, "defense wins championships".

I consider it a fraud because it's hyped up as some unstoppable force. But in their past 3 games against very good defenses, they've scored a total of 40 points. If they weren't hyped up the way they are, I wouldn't call them a fraud. But if you want to be considered an unstoppable force, you can't fold everytime you face a good defense.

Oregon just hung 48 pts and 537 yards on a decent Arizona defense, ranked #12 in scoring defense and #20 in total defense.

Oregon just hung 48 pts and 537 yards on a decent Arizona defense, ranked #12 in scoring defense and #20 in total defense.

Those stats are padded by some games against HORRENDOUS offenses. The Citadel, Toledo, Washington, Wazzu, and Cal are horrible on offense, and that makes up almost half of their schedule to this point.

Their numbers are nothing special once you look at their numbers against better teams.

They also torched a Stanford D, that is 20th in the nation in scoring D at 19.5, for 52. But he doesn't want any facts to get in the way of his "fraud" argument.

Those stats are padded by some games against HORRENDOUS offenses. The Citadel, Toledo, Washington, Wazzu, and Cal are horrible on offense, and that makes up almost half of their schedule to this point.

Their numbers are nothing special once you look at their numbers against better teams.

Every team in the nation pads their stats against bad offensive teams. Iowa played Eastern Ill, Iowa St, Ball St, Penn St, four terrible offensives. Alabama has played San Jose St, Duke, Georgia St, Penn St, Florida, Tennessee, they've only faced one above average offensive team all year before yesterday. By your standards no team in the nation has a good defense. Keep trying to make excuses to prove why Oregon's offense is a fraud.

Every team in the nation pads their stats against bad offensive teams. Iowa played Eastern Ill, Iowa St, Ball St, Penn St, four terrible offensives. Alabama has played San Jose St, Duke, Georgia St, Penn St, Florida, Tennessee, they've only faced one above average offensive team all year before yesterday. By your standards no team in the nation has a good defense. Keep trying to make excuses to prove why Oregon's offense is a fraud.

I just don't buy it. They looked EVERY BIT as impressive a year ago, but for WHATEVER reason :)rolleyes:), the "Blur" stood still against Ohio State and Boise State. Then they look average against Cal two weeks ago.

And our defense ISN'T that good this year. But those top defenses in the country, while their stats are padded by weak OOC teams, they also don't put up average numbers against better teams.

I just don't buy it. They looked EVERY BIT as impressive a year ago, but for WHATEVER reason :)rolleyes:), the "Blur" stood still against Ohio State and Boise State. Then they look average against Cal two weeks ago.

And our defense ISN'T that good this year. But those top defenses in the country, while their stats are padded by weak OOC teams, they also don't put up average numbers against better teams.

This isn't last year bud. Thomas has been a definite upgrade over Masoli, they throw the ball much better than last year. And who do you think is the best D in the country?

Your Boise St. team has looked average on D against Va Tech, Oregon St and Nevada. TCU looked bad against SDSU, Missouri is a top ten D and got lit up by Nebraska. Name a defense that looks great week in and week out.

They didn't just hang those numbers on zona, they wore out zona's defense, specifically on a 19 play 99 yard touchdown drive. After that Oregon ran at will against them and all stoops could do was throw a temper tantrum on the sidelines. The only way you can slow Oregon down is with fake injuries like Cal did.

This isn't last year bud. Thomas has been a definite upgrade over Masoli, they throw the ball much better than last year. And who do you think is the best D in the country?

Your Boise St. team has looked average on D against Va Tech, Oregon St and Nevada. TCU looked bad against SDSU, Missouri is a top ten D and got lit up by Nebraska. Name a defense that looks great week in and week out.

Week in and week out? There's almost nobody who can claim that. But Arizona hasn't looked that good more than half the time. Alabama's defense is still arguably the best. They've given up more than 30 points once, and that was on the road against a ranked opponent. They kept Arkansas pretty well under wraps, same with Mississippi State, and they even held Auburn down well below their averages.

I'm just not impressed by a team that plays football like it's on a Playstation. Exciting? Absolutely. Truly great? I just don't buy it.

Latest posts