BREAKING NEWS: Mediacom & Sinclair agree to 8 day extension

“We just decided we wanted to avoid, with such important events coming up, the disruption that it would cause customers,â€￾ Sinclair General Counsel Barry Faber said.

This surprised me. I am happy with the decision, since I have Mediacom. But, if that actually is the case, what is the whole point of this stupid argument?? If they REALLY cared about it and wanted to avoid the disruption, they would play fair and give Mediacom the same deal they give other cable providers.

Last edited:
Hooked up a $8 set of bunny ears the other day and quit worrying about it. As far as I'm concerned they can battle over it all year, I've got a crystal clear picture for free. Maybe Sinclair will realize their stations are free over the air and quit being idiots. Course knowing them they'd probably quit broadcasting over the air just to go ahead and screw everyone.

This surprised me. I am happy with the decision, since I have Mediacom. But, if that actually is the case, what is the whole point of this stupid argument?? If they REALLY cared about it and wanted to avoid the disruption, they would play fair and give Mediacom the same deal they give other cable providers.

The point is that Sinclair has 22 stations in 12 markets that Mediacom opperates, but three of their stations are in two markets that Mediacom dominates. They think that because Mediacom's biggest market is the state of Iowa, and the Des Moines and Cedar Rapids markets make up 2/3 of the state's population, they think they have leverage due to the fact the most people would be affected. That's why they battled like this three years ago, and that's why we're going through this again today.

I saw a few of the related stories linked to the Gazette Online article, and it seems that DirecTV, Dish and other companies, though they benefitted three years ago from Mediacom's lost customers, are on Mediacom's side because of the fact Sinclair opperates a duopoly in the Cedar Rapids market (though they own KGAN, they also manage KFXA, and Mediacom considers that illegal).

Not sure what the pat on the back to Sinclair would be for...the damage is done.

Latest posts