Brad Stevens

I hope he stays at Butler. I have a ton of respect for Coach Stevens and love stories of guys who stay loyal and don't chase $$. I know Coach K gets paid plenty but I love it when he scoffs at the question of going to the Lakers. Greed will catch up to you in the end...

2011: pg/sg Roosevelt Jones- big, tough guard from St Louis. Distributor.
sg/sf Andy Smeathers- Gordon Hayward lookalike w/huge upside
pf Kameron Woods- big/athletic, creates matchup problems.
pg Jackson Aldridge- strong/scoring point guard from Australia

2012: sg Kellen Dunham- dead eye shooting guard from acclaimed IN high school program
sg Devontae Morgan- another Florida product. surprise get over Clemson

*-doesn't count, but came very, very close to getting Cody Zeller this year over North Carolina and Indiana (where he committed). Even though they did not get Cody, this close call opened some eyes around the national recruiting landscape. The connection w/Florida and the South in general is strengthening, as are the local Indiana ties. Butler is really starting to get out into some major talent with the big boys.

These guys dont look that impressive, but of course Hayward and mack didnt look that impressive either, so we will see how this class develops.

This guy is 34 years old. How bright is this dude's future and how in the hell does he not leave Butler? What a stud.

Two reasons.

1)

tsu-10-licklighter-b.jpg

2) Butler coach Brad Stevens signs new 12-year contract :InsideHoops

There are 2 reasons coaches leave the mid-major ranks to coach higher level D-1 teams.

1.) more money/bigger ego
2.) to have a shot at the Final Four/Nat'l Championship

Not exactly sure what his pay is, but given that he's been in contention and gone VERY deep the last three year, there's really no "upside" to leaving and coaching somewhere else.

These guys dont look that impressive, but of course Hayward and mack didnt look that impressive either, so we will see how this class develops.

I think Butler recuiting doesn't need to be questioned. Back to back final 4's gives Stevens more than a little slack for taking whoever he wants IMO

You notice that Stevens does not use the "Lick" style of bb ...didn't take him long to get away from Lickliter's brand of bb.

I know the rationale behind leaving, but if the ball takes a bounce and doesn't go through the hoop last year he would have won the NCAA Tournament while at Butler. Who knows, he still might win it this year. If you can win it there, why would one need to go elsewhere? I realize he didn't win it, but for just a roll of the ball he would have won it.

He obviously doesn't need to go somewhere else to have a chance to win it all and he can pretty much have a lifetime contract for whatever his new deal was after last season. He will never be shown the door, or it would certainly seem unlikely unless he develops a personality like Bob Knight of they get an AD or a university president that is an idiot and doesn't treat him properly.

That being said, stranger things have happened. Again, I do understand the rationale for wanting to leave. Given where he is from it would seem he would be staying there until the Indiana or Purdue jobs open up, and maybe not even Purdue would be a reason to leave.

I guess as far as ego goes he might want to leave to have a shot at UNC or something....but Butler is arguably an ELITE college basketball program now...Sure they might not be the best in the season....but we have already stated...the college basketball regular season does not mean jack....it's all about what you do for a couple weeks in march.

There are 2 reasons coaches leave the mid-major ranks to coach higher level D-1 teams.

1.) more money/bigger ego
2.) to have a shot at the Final Four/Nat'l Championship

Not exactly sure what his pay is, but given that he's been in contention and gone VERY deep the last three year, there's really no "upside" to leaving and coaching somewhere else.

I have heard one million a year.

Why would he want to leave - he has NO problem scheduling top non-conference teams. He has no problem recruiting, he is at a school where men's basketball is king, he won't have near the headaches at Butler as he would at a BCS school.

I'd really like to know much more about him: his approach to life, his approach to basketball, how he relates to his players, how he manages adversity. Clearly a winner at this stage in his young life.

Latest posts