Brad Childress firing's effect on Albert Young

lilrabbi

I was very glad to see Brad Childress go, but it looks like the hawkeyes may have lost a pretty big supporter. Childress is an extended part of the Hayden Fry coaching tree as he got one of his first assistant jobs under Barry Alvarez. And Childress has kept Albert Young with the Vikings since he left Iowa. At first AY was on the practice squad, but he's been on the 53-man roster all year as the 3rd running back. Anyway, it looks like new head coach Frazier and OC Bevell aren't the ones who were big fans of AY - that was Childress. They're thinking about activating their 3rd string rookie QB, Joe Webb, and having him be the third RB.

Joe Webb Says He Could “Run Routes” if Needed | The Viking Age | A Minnesota Vikings blog

And the Vikings have worked out Lorenzo Booker of the UFL to maybe bring him in to be the 3rd RB, too.

Anyway, it isn't looking good for AY.

I love AY, but he's just not able to get over the hump in the NFL. Regardless of coach he's gonna struggle to make a roster. Too bad...great guy, solid player, Hawkeye.

As for Childress, I'd just as soon not connect him to the Hayden Fry coaching tree. He was in over his head from day 1, and has the personality of a cardboard box in the recycling bin.

I was very glad to see Brad Childress go, but it looks like the hawkeyes may have lost a pretty big supporter. Childress is an extended part of the Hayden Fry coaching tree as he got one of his first assistant jobs under Barry Alvarez. And Childress has kept Albert Young with the Vikings since he left Iowa. At first AY was on the practice squad, but he's been on the 53-man roster all year as the 3rd running back. Anyway, it looks like new head coach Frazier and OC Bevell aren't the ones who were big fans of AY - that was Childress. They're thinking about activating their 3rd string rookie QB, Joe Webb, and having him be the third RB.

Joe Webb Says He Could “Run Routesâ€￾ if Needed | The Viking Age | A Minnesota Vikings blog

And the Vikings have worked out Lorenzo Booker of the UFL to maybe bring him in to be the 3rd RB, too.

Anyway, it isn't looking good for AY.

The writing was on the wall that AY was not going to get much playing time when the Vikings traded up in the draft to snag Gerhart.

Young has not been active for most of the games this year.

Yeah, watching AY in the NFL, he just doesn't have the size or speed to gain yards. And with the poor blocking in Childress' screwy offense, even Peterson was struggling for yards.

That's why I say "by extension." Just like Norm Parker is, "by extension." And I think there is some connection between Norm Parker and Childress, too. Anyway, Childress did have a lot of respect for the Iowa program, coaches and players.

And for people that complain about the Hawks' defensive schemes, keep in mind that our scheme and philosophy has allowed many a defender to step in and excel in the NFL - Greenway, Babineaux, Angerer, Godfrey, etc. When the colts need a linebacker, they know where to look, because Iowa's LB's have been drilled in the same defensive scheme and philosophy for 4 years before they even make it to the NFL. Its the same with any NFL team that runs the Tampa-2/Cover-2.

Latest posts