Box Score - interesting

hawkeye12345

John Lickliter scores more points than Bawinkel.:eek:

4 players in double figures. John Lickliter isn't one of them.:D

Only 1 player on our team that played tonight failed to score a point.:rolleyes:

Gatens: 20 pts (4-6 from 3 pt line), 5 reb, 8 assists, 2 steals
May: 18 points (7-8 from inside the arc), 8 reb, 1 ast, 1 steal M
Cole: 19 points (8-10 from field), 5 reb, 1 steal
Fuller: 12 points (6-11 FT), 4 reb, 1, ast, 1 blk
Payne: 6 points, 1 reb, 5 asts, 2 stls, 3 tos
Cougill: 5 pts (1-1 from field, 2-2 from line), 1 reb, 2 tos
Lickliter: 2 pts (0-2 FGs), 2 reb, 1 ast, 1 to
Bawinkel: 0 pts (0-3 FGs, all 3PA), 2 reb, 0 ast,

Iowa attempted 24 FTs, 9 over their average. SCSU shot 9 FTs, 16 under their average

Iowa shot 7-20 from behind the arc, 35% and still won.

TOs: Iowa 10, SCSU 12
REB: Iowa 28, SCSU 25
ASTS: Iowa 16, SCSU 10

Iowa shot 22-31 from inside the arc. 71% from 2 pt range for Iowa in this one

Gatens: 20 pts (4-6 from 3 pt line), 5 reb, 8 assists, 2 steals
May: 18 points (7-8 from inside the arc), 8 reb, 1 ast, 1 steal M
Cole: 19 points (8-10 from field), 5 reb, 1 steal
Fuller: 12 points (6-11 FT), 4 reb, 1, ast, 1 blk
Payne: 6 points, 1 reb, 5 asts, 2 stls, 3 tos
Cougill: 5 pts (1-1 from field, 2-2 from line), 1 reb, 2 tos
Lickliter: 2 pts (0-2 FGs), 2 reb, 1 ast, 1 to
Bawinkel: 0 pts (0-3 FGs, all 3PA), 2 reb, 0 ast,

Iowa attempted 24 FTs, 9 over their average. SCSU shot 9 FTs, 16 under their average

Iowa shot 7-20 from behind the arc, 35% and still won.

TOs: Iowa 10, SCSU 12
REB: Iowa 28, SCSU 25
ASTS: Iowa 16, SCSU 10

Iowa shot 22-31 from inside the arc. 71% from 2 pt range for Iowa in this one

The thing I loved seeing tonight was the inside presence. The biggest problem with this offense IMO is the fact that teams extend the defense on them, and overplay on the outside. They need to be able to dump in down low, to get some scores, and ease up the pressure on the outside. The team as a hole cut to the basket great tonight, it was nice to see that.

Iowa cognitively went to Cole in this one. Love seeing it. He might not be big enough to do what he did vs. the Big Ten, but Iowa MUST try to go inside in order to win games.

Iowa cognitively went to Cole in this one. Love seeing it. He might not be big enough to do what he did vs. the Big Ten, but Iowa MUST try to go inside in order to win games.

Stormin - What you pointed out is the major flaw in the Lick system. Size does matter. We just dominated an under sized SC State team and in turn we are going to get dominated by bigger teams in the Big10.

Not to sound like Turnip Truck (I hope), but things I learned from attending the game tonight.
Gatens is a darn good player.
May has great energy and good hops.
Cully is a tough little fella.
Cole is a monster against teams like SCS.
Cougill is still sick or hurt or both (I hope because if not, oh, oh)
John will have a bit of trouble against many Big Ten point guards.
We would be among the best 6'7" and under teams in the nation, if such a category existed.

Thanks for the update on Cougs...I was starting to wonder if there was more to it than just recovering from the flu.

I also enjoyed the balance tonight and noticed that Payne is not having to yell at folks to cut or drop to the corner or set ball screens, etc so hopefully another extended set of practices will give everyone a chance to continue learning where to be on both ends of the floor. With that said, I was a bit surprised that we didn't take advantage of the 15+ point lead in the second half to get Brommer and/or Neari in the ballgame, especially after watching Cole tweak his ankle.

The thing I loved seeing tonight was the inside presence. The biggest problem with this offense IMO is the fact that teams extend the defense on them, and overplay on the outside. They need to be able to dump in down low, to get some scores, and ease up the pressure on the outside. The team as a hole cut to the basket great tonight, it was nice to see that.

+1. Our offense looked so much better IMO when we were getting the ball in the paint, and not taking so many threes - unless they were open. Just alot better looks at the basket all the way around. I liked it.

Granted, in the Big Ten we will be facing teams that play better defense, and are more proficient offensively than SC St. was, but last night's game was more like what I want to see in terms of an offensive philosophy. Look to get the ball inside, but take the 3 if it's open.

+1. Our offense looked so much better IMO when we were getting the ball in the paint, and not taking so many threes - unless they were open. Just alot better looks at the basket all the way around. I liked it.

Granted, in the Big Ten we will be facing teams that play better defense, and are more proficient offensively than SC St. was, but last night's game was more like what I want to see as far as a philosophy on offense.

Agree, Big10 will be much harder opponents. I do say though, that the style of basketball is fun to watch when played like last night. Lets hope we can keep improving...

Agree, Big10 will be much harder opponents. I do say though, that the style of basketball is fun to watch when played like last night. Lets hope we can keep improving...

I definitely prefer the "style" of last night's offense compared to just shooting 3's. I've always appreciated a good inside game with strong rebounding, etc. It was refreshing.

Thanks for the update on Cougs...I was starting to wonder if there was more to it than just recovering from the flu.

I also enjoyed the balance tonight and noticed that Payne is not having to yell at folks to cut or drop to the corner or set ball screens, etc so hopefully another extended set of practices will give everyone a chance to continue learning where to be on both ends of the floor. With that said, I was a bit surprised that we didn't take advantage of the 15+ point lead in the second half to get Brommer and/or Neari in the ballgame, especially after watching Cole tweak his ankle.
He tried to get Neari in the last minute, but not Brommer.

Latest posts