Bowlsby to Big 12?

Comparing the Big Ten Conference to the reorganized, realigned Big XII Conference stops at the sidelines of the athletic fields and courts. A true conference is more than athletic teams even though every Big Ten University fields more men and women sports teams than the typical Big 12 University. When the Big Ten went to 12 teams no fewer than 12 Universities expressed interest, Why? Because being a member bring benefits that no other BCS conference can match.

If you look at the Big 12, four of its former members were also members of the American Association of Universities, until Nebraska lost its AAU membership. Now there are three, ISU, Texas and Kansas. While some do not care about the academic relationships it does matter. It will really matter if the NCAA imposes higher entrance requirements for athletes, most of which are already exceeded by Big Ten Universities.

I recently had the pleasure of attending the graduate school graduation ceremony at the University of Michigan. My son got a doctorate degree in epidemiological sciences. When you listen to the PHDs awarded to people from all over the world and walk around the campus you realize the difference between a great public university and a place like Texas Tech or West Virginia. Then you think about all the great public universities that make up the Big Ten and you know what is special about being a member of the conference. It isn't just the athletic teams. It is the pride the Universities place on providing top ranked academic programs. ISU can take pride in the academic quality of the University, but it means little to the other members.

If by that you mean...the name might be retained...and some of the original teams stay.. Yeah. But two teams just bolted and it's far from stable as long as it's TEXAS...and everybody else.

Let me put it this way for all our friends auditing from Ames. It's no Big Ten

giving the fact that we replaced mason jar and missery with TCU and West Virginia, but keep hatin'

We will be more than fine without Misery and Mason Jar. You are right its no Big Ten, its actually watchable football.

I love the "we" angle. Clinging on to any coattails you can, eh? A&M and Mizzou's programs both dwarf ISU's. "We" will be fine without them...god you're funny...but predictably "clone". Some things never change.

and you certainly spend a lot of time here in Big Ten territory. Behavior is louder words.

It Texas finds out you're here... he's gonna spank you, big time. We all know who's beatch you are.

Last edited:
The Big 12 isn't the Big 10 as far as stability and money goes, and never will be. Because stability only comes with money, and the Big 10 will always have more. That's the difference between Michigan and Kansas for you.

Bowlsby is going to come in and add some teams. It's inevitable. Those teams will likely add enough value that the renegotiated TV contracts will not be as big as the Big 10s, but will still be ludicrously huge.

The Big East is a shell of it's former self, that started with BC and Miami leaving. If the ACC is truly next as the conference to get picked over, the Big 12 (or Big 14, as they already have the name trademarked) may come out smelling like roses.

Jamie:

Let me have men about me that are fat,
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep a-nights.
Yond Bowlsby has a lean and hungry look,
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous.

I think it would be great if Bowlsby flipped the coin at the ISU vs iowa football game this year...

Last edited:
Not so much. The big 12 is still done. It does however, almost guarantee a conference merger of some kind...perhaps the Big East/"big" 12 joiner that's been rumored.

He wouldn't take the job unless there was some opportunity in it for him. Building a new conference..likely one of 6-8 BCS super conferences ultimately...is just such an opportunity.

Some day, that hawkeye delusion that the big 12 is done for will be gone...

Comparing the Big Ten Conference to the reorganized, realigned Big XII Conference stops at the sidelines of the athletic fields and courts. A true conference is more than athletic teams even though every Big Ten University fields more men and women sports teams than the typical Big 12 University. When the Big Ten went to 12 teams no fewer than 12 Universities expressed interest, Why? Because being a member bring benefits that no other BCS conference can match.

If you look at the Big 12, four of its former members were also members of the American Association of Universities, until Nebraska lost its AAU membership. Now there are three, ISU, Texas and Kansas. While some do not care about the academic relationships it does matter. It will really matter if the NCAA imposes higher entrance requirements for athletes, most of which are already exceeded by Big Ten Universities.

I recently had the pleasure of attending the graduate school graduation ceremony at the University of Michigan. My son got a doctorate degree in epidemiological sciences. When you listen to the PHDs awarded to people from all over the world and walk around the campus you realize the difference between a great public university and a place like Texas Tech or West Virginia. Then you think about all the great public universities that make up the Big Ten and you know what is special about being a member of the conference. It isn't just the athletic teams. It is the pride the Universities place on providing top ranked academic programs. ISU can take pride in the academic quality of the University, but it means little to the other members.

Very good points here specifically what you imply about the CIC. You should know it's not exclusive though. Iowa State does partner with some CIC schools in engineering research (presumably other areas as well). Of course it's better to be a member...It's also disappointing to see UNL gain entre solely on the strength of TV football money. Losing their AAU status is an embarrassment to the B1G.

So does this set up Bowlsby to be the next Big Ten Commissioner when Delaney retires?

I wonder if Bowlsby's contract has a non-compete clause that would prohibit him from moving to that position.

Latest posts