Bowl Ticket Sales Lagging this year

From what I've seen, the actual seats that are allotted through the Universities are some of the worst seats in the joint. Even if you're going to the bowl, why get tickets through the University, when you can get better seats and the same price directly through the bowl?

I think it's actually a scheme where by the Universities are required to sell or absorb the cost of their unsold tickets, the public buys the better seats that are available directly through the bowl and then the bowl game makes more $$$$$.

what 101 said. the insight bowl has announced that they expect a record attendance for the game. i'm guessing that iowa fans, etc are purchasing direct.

What he said. While Mizou and Iowa both have plenty of tickets left I've heard the game is setting attendance records.

I blame the economy, gas prices and a lingering sense of apathy from the untimely departure of Steve Alford. I would think tens of thousands of fans would want to fly to Arizona to watch the Hawks play on a Tuesday night in December, but clearly there are other factors at play here, probably mostly related to the economy. Hopefully, Ferentz will get a big bonus for this bowl game otherwise he might flee for greener pastures.

Interesting read. This will be the first bowl game I will not be attending since the end of 2003 season. Combination of the way Hawks finished season (Mainly MN game) high flight costs, and slow recovery from knee replacement are keeping me home. (Dr. recommended no travel) The lack of effort in Minny game and sore knee are main reasons. The Insight Bowl is one game I really wanted to attend.
The first 3 bowl games averaged just over 28,000 fans. More than I expected, but I am sure still an inflated number.
I still feel there should be a max of 25 bowl games. Make it an accomplishment to be awarded a bowl game instead of looking for teams to fill slots.

I'm taking my family of four to the game but I bought my tickets on the secondary market. This is our eighth bowl game in a row and the only tickets that I bought through the university was to the first Orange Bowl. The seats were terrible. In addition, even though I have four season tickets, I can typically only buy two bowl game tickets. I think that sucks. I assume that was the case this year as well, but I didn't even check.

As soon as I found out where we were headed, I got on Ticket Cities' web site and I bought lower row tickets in the upper level on the fifty yard line for $40.00 each. Much better seats than I could have ever gotten through the universities' ticket office.

I've been to 4 bowls and we bought our tickets on-line via stubhub, ebay, etc each trip to ensure we had decent to good seats. From what I've seen the university allotment is endzones and corners. I figure I can spend a few extra bucks ($10-50) and get much better seats which is worth it when you are travelling over 1000 miles from home!

I think many are getting wise to this and getting ticket on their own, although ticket sales are still likely down across the country.

I heard they sold 6,000 a week ago, i wonder if this is just old information. The article linked through the link is date Dec. 17th.

The flight prices are just outrageous. No way would i ever spend $800 to fly round trip to anywhere in the continental US.

I don't understand the reasoning for buying tickets through the U for a bowl. You can usually get better deals and seats going straight through the bowl or on stubhub/ebay. The only time I can justify buying tickets through the U is for away games just because then you get seated with a bunch of Hawk fans instead of getting seated in a sea of opposing fans.

I don't understand the reasoning for buying tickets through the U for a bowl. You can usually get better deals and seats going straight through the bowl or on stubhub/ebay. The only time I can justify buying tickets through the U is for away games just because then you get seated with a bunch of Hawk fans instead of getting seated in a sea of opposing fans.

Most years I agree, but my parents just got their tickets for the Insight game and they are lower level, 45 yard line about 40 rows up.

Most years I agree, but my parents just got their tickets for the Insight game and they are lower level, 45 yard line about 40 rows up.

Yeah I have no idea how the systems work. Cap one bowl in 2005 had seats 35 yard line lower bowl behind the bench. The other years have been crap. Last year we were upper deck in the endzone. Ended up moving to a section on the 40 yard line first couple rows in the upper deck. Nobody was sitting in the section.

More times then not you will get much better seats in the Hawk section paying the same or less then going through the University.

Same sheet different year.

in the last 10 years my season tickets have gone from 100 a year to 370 last year, they can use some of that money to absorb their lack of sales.

i'd rather go stubhub or directly to the event so i can chose where i sit instead of finding out when i have already paid and get them in the mail.

I will NEVER EVER buy a bowl ticket from the University again. I bought 2 orange bowl tickets last year even though I wasn't going because I wanted to support the university and I thought I could get rid of them. They were the worst location in history and I had to eat them. Could not even give them away.

The reason that I don't buy through U is their surcharge....and a bunch of others ik feel the same....if we buy multiple tickets that 10-15 "handling" fee piles up quick....and they aren't even the best seats...give me a reason to buy through the U other than "Support them so they don't eat the cost" I don't think so....Universities eating tickets is capitalism at it's finest...
The bowls need to give the U the best tickets....but they really don't care because they are making $$

Everyone is wrong here. This year the tickets thru the U are actually the best ones.

We got ours thru the University and got 45 yard line lower level row 20. I agree, last year for the OB we were stuck in the endzone and would have rather gotten else year but this year is the exception.

I'm taking my family of four to the game but I bought my tickets on the secondary market. This is our eighth bowl game in a row and the only tickets that I bought through the university was to the first Orange Bowl. The seats were terrible. In addition, even though I have four season tickets, I can typically only buy two bowl game tickets. I think that sucks. I assume that was the case this year as well, but I didn't even check.

As soon as I found out where we were headed, I got on Ticket Cities' web site and I bought lower row tickets in the upper level on the fifty yard line for $40.00 each. Much better seats than I could have ever gotten through the universities' ticket office.

I also bought my bowl tickets through the secondary market. I went to the Hawks ticket office first and they said tickets go to season ticket holders first and there's no guarantee I'd get them.

I needed to book my flight from St. Louis to Phoenix and couldn't wait to hear back from the university, so I purchased my game tickets and flight at the same time without the hassle.

My guess, though I can't prove it, is that there will be more Iowa fans at the game who DID NOT get their tickets through Iowa.

Latest posts