BOWL REORGANIZATION

JanuaryTailgate

There are 34 bowl games this year, 34! There are mid-tier 6-6 record teams playing in these games -- yes, mid-tier 6-6 teams playing in bowl games.

Has the bowl system almost become irrelevant?

My proposition for change to the bowl scene:
1. No bowl to start before Christmas.
2. Number of bowls limited to 28.
3. Only BCS bowl games after new year.
4. Last game to be done by Jan. 4.
5. There is an order to bowl relevance.

He do we meet the above? There are 6 days between De. 26 and 31. With 3 bowl games per day on these 6 days, there could be 18 games (11am CST, 3:00pm, 7:00pm). Then starting Jan. 1, the BCS games are played, but all 5 are done by Jan. 4.

The least relevant games are played Dec. 26, the most relevant being the final BCS game, the National Championship. Determination of the relevant games is first done by amount of payout, those with the greatest payout play later, then secondly by a rotation (pick from a hat).

Very much agreed that OVER HALF of the Div. 1 FBS teams (68 out of 120) playing in bowl games is complete overkill. Making it to a bowl without having a winning season (6-6) is a joke, IMO. I'd also like to see the number of bowl games drop back down significantly. Money controls the sport, though.

Division I FBS football is the only NCAA sport without a formal tournament to determine an undisputed national champion.

I don't know what the big deal is. We all know which bowl games matter an which bowl games don't matter. No one is forced with watching a game they dont want to watch.

For me, college football is the best thing going and I love having so many choices over the last 10 days of December and into January. I would like to see all of the games, save the national title game, played on January 1st (meaning the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, the ones they are straggling out).

I don't know what the big deal is. We all know which bowl games matter an which bowl games don't matter. No one is forced with watching a game they dont want to watch.

Some of us have a higher standard. That's what the big deal is...we don't like "everybody is a winner" in kids sports, we don't like meaningless bowl games between 6-6 teams and we don't like the Jonas Brothers.

We know we don't have to watch it. We also don't have to like the fact that that the those bowls cheapen the bowl system as a whole.

Some of us have a higher standard. That's what the big deal is...we don't like "everybody is a winner" in kids sports, we don't like meaningless bowl games between 6-6 teams and we don't like the Jonas Brothers.

We know we don't have to watch it. We also don't have to like the fact that that the those bowls cheapen the bowl system as a whole.

Although I agree with this point, if Michigan was 6-6 and in a bowl game I bet you'd have a different tune. :)

It doesn't harm anyone or anything. To me, it's more football. To some, they don't like it. To the arbiters of football righteousness, apparently its a travesty that cannot go on

It doesn't harm anyone or anything. To me, it's more football. To some, they don't like it. To the arbiters of football righteousness, apparently its a travesty that cannot go on

You're entitled to your opinion...as are we. Or, re-reading your replies, I guess maybe we're not.

So you would you take away that great game that Fresno State and Wyoming had the other night? There are probably too many bowls but I enjoy watching all the games.

There are 34 bowl games this year, 34! There are mid-tier 6-6 record teams playing in these games -- yes, mid-tier 6-6 teams playing in bowl games.

Has the bowl system almost become irrelevant?

My proposition for change to the bowl scene:
1. No bowl to start before Christmas.
2. Number of bowls limited to 28.
3. Only BCS bowl games after new year.
4. Last game to be done by Jan. 4.
5. There is an order to bowl relevance.

He do we meet the above? There are 6 days between De. 26 and 31. With 3 bowl games per day on these 6 days, there could be 18 games (11am CST, 3:00pm, 7:00pm). Then starting Jan. 1, the BCS games are played, but all 5 are done by Jan. 4.

The least relevant games are played Dec. 26, the most relevant being the final BCS game, the National Championship. Determination of the relevant games is first done by amount of payout, those with the greatest payout play later, then secondly by a rotation (pick from a hat).

Good post! I would like the number of bowl games cut back to 25. I realize I do not have to watch games. Why reward mediocrity. Make going to a bowl game mean something. Its kind of like All conf. teams in HS now. Almost every kid who plays gets some kind of recognition.

I would limit the number of bowl participants to 1/2 of the FBS teams (120 teams currently ... /2 = 60 bowl teams ... /2 = 30 bowls)

No bowls before winter (that's today)

non NC bowls must be done by the Saturday after new years
NC should always be on the Monday after New Years under current BCS system

I agree with Jon on this one in that I could care less how many bowl games there are. Hopefully as Iowa fans there won't be too many seasons where we go 6-6 and are just hoping for a bowl invite. However, if that happened, I am sure we would watch that game even it it were before Christmas.

All in all, the bowl games help generate money for the programs. If Iowa can fight for BCS games each year or Jan. 1 Bowls, the rest is pretty trivial to me!

Bottom line, as long as someone thinks there is $$ to be made from a bowl game they will throw the party and invite who they can get.

Next year there will be a game added in Texas, and one in New York. I don't think I'd sit through a game in Yankee Stadium in December or January, but someone thinks there is cash to be made.

One way we can start with a bowl limitation is upping the # wins for bowl eligibility from 6 to 7. Can someone count up how many 7 win teams there were this year in the FBS and FCS?

I say this is a good place to start for bringing some credibility back to the system.

Last edited:
It is, but it doesn't change anything that I stated.

Besides, in case you didn't notice, we practice whenever anyway.

A Michigan fan with a sense of humor :) You just became my new favorite Michigan fan!

Latest posts