Bowl Game Options

hawk50701

Ok got to thinking about this and wanted feedback.

Scenario #1 - Iowa wins out to go undefeated.
Scenario #1, Option #1 - Iowa plays in NC game Jan 7th.
Scenario #1, Option #2 - Iowa cannot jump SEC & TX, plays Jan 1 Rosebowl.

Scenario #2 - Iowa loses to tOSU and wins remaining games.
Scenario #2, Option #1 - PSU & OSU win out, all three teams have 1 loss in Big Ten play. Who wins the tie breaker?

Scenario #2, Option #2 - OSU beats PSU, PSU now has 2 conference losses. OSU has only one conference loss plus one OOC loss. Iowa has one loss total and that is a conference loss to OSU. Who wins the tie breaker?

I know there a many more scenario's but they involve Iowa losing 2 or more games so wanted to stick with the above.

Thoughts???

Scenario #2 is impossible since PSU and OSU play each other. One of them will have 2 conference losses and effectively be eliminated. The first tiebreaker in the Big Ten is head to head, so if OSU beats us and we both finish 7-1 in conference, they would get the bid since they beat us. If PSU were to beat OSU, we win the title no matter what as long as we take care of business vs. Indiana, NW and Minnesota.

Good point - forgot they play the week before we head to Columbus.

So in that case - if PSU win's, we can afford to lose at OSU and still go to the Rose bowl? If OSU wins, we would have beat OSU to go to the Rose bowl (or NC game)?

So in that case - if PSU win's, we can afford to lose at OSU and still go to the Rose bowl? If OSU wins, we would have beat OSU to go to the Rose bowl (or NC game)?

I think you got it right here. If PSU wins out (meaning they'll have beaten OSU), they'll finish at 7-1. That means if we can't come out of the Shoe with a W, we'll finish (hopefully) at 7-1. Head-to-head as the tie-breaker, we would go to the Rose over PSU.

The way things looked yesterday in Columbus....I could see this scenario playing out...
We go 3-1, losing to O$U...O$U wins out and goes to the Rose...we get at-large BCS much like the 03 situation...
I think this is possible....let me know if it's not...let me know ur thoughts

The way things looked yesterday in Columbus....I could see this scenario playing out...
We go 3-1, losing to O$U...O$U wins out and goes to the Rose...we get at-large BCS much like the 03 situation...
I think this is possible....let me know if it's not...let me know ur thoughts

Yep, I was thinking the same thing here. However, don't forget OSU plays AT PSU and AT MICH...those are three big games in a row for them. I think MINN is terrible, so don't put too much into that win from yesterday. No way an 11-1 Iowa teams gets passed up for at-large BCS. Also, go Penn State!

I think the Rose is the most likely scenario. Even If we win out, I really don't see us jumping to #2 or #1 without some help from the teams in front of us.

As far as the OSU/Minny game, Goldy is bad.

We need to worry about Indiana and NW before we put OSU on the frontburner. Lets take care of them first