Bowl game DOES matter

He just wants to stir the troll soup

Exactly. Which is the only thing Champless ever brings to the table.

A bowl game is incredibly important whether it's in Detroit or Florida doesn't matter. The extra practice time is huge for a young team like the Hawks. I'm pretty optimistic about the direction things are headed. There's two very winnable games left on the schedule. There's reason to be optimistic heading into the 2014 season. It would be great to see the Hawks end things on a high note.

I'd venture to guess most Hawkeye fans didn't think 8 wins was a possibility going into the season. They need to execute. They need to play a solid 4 quarter football game. However, eight wins is certainly attainable at this point. Michigan and Nebraska are winnable games. I'm hoping the Hawks three senior linebackers play like they want to leave the program with it on the rise instead of stuck in neutral.

Duh, no. Kf has never out coached anyone. When we win it's because we have better players or our defensive coordinator beat them and when we lose it's because of coaching or lack of recruiting which is also coaching.

Correct. Wins go to players and the d-coordinator.

Losses are due to Kirk, or conservatism, or Kirk not recruiting well enough, or Kirk not hiring better assistants, or Kirk forcing 11am games, or Kirk not understanding that you need more points to win. Or, because Kirk.

Correct. Wins go to players and the d-coordinator.

Losses are due to Kirk, or conservatism, or Kirk not recruiting well enough, or Kirk not hiring better assistants, or Kirk forcing 11am games, or Kirk not understanding that you need more points to win. Or, because Kirk.

you forgot the real reason he can't win.......he refuses to consider any changes to the uniforms.

I could see this particular team improving quite a bit during bowl preparation, especially the offense. We need to remember that the offense is under a fairly new coordinator and new system with first year starting quarterback. It’s an offense that is still trying to find itself, and has a great deal on either the up or down side. The offense has shown flashes of very good play and a few hapless stretches against better opponents. Red zone offense could use three weeks of work alone. The defense is more of a known entity. We know the defense is good, but can’t hold Iowa in games without help from the offense.

They’ve beaten the teams they are supposed to, and lost to teams that were clearly better. The next step is to win against a closely matched opponents. So far I would put Iowa at 2-1 against closely matched opponents, wins against Minnesota and Northwestern and a loss against Northern Illinois. I would rate Iowa as clearly over-matched against Ohio State, Wisconsin & Michigan State. Michigan is closely matched and Nebraska is a bit better than Iowa. Regardless of how they come through the next two games, the offense alone would greatly benefit from three weeks of preparation for a closely matched contest.

I agree … and I would really like to see a match up against an SEC school. Little known fact but we are 5-2 against the SEC in bowl games.
After he 1983 Gator Bowl some bigwig said they never wanted Iowa again It truly was a miserable performance. All may be forgiven/forgotten by now, but who knows?

After he 1983 Gator Bowl some bigwig said they never wanted Iowa again It truly was a miserable performance. All may be forgiven/forgotten by now, but who knows?

Wasn't that in freezing rain against a Florida team about to go on probation?

Wasn't that in freezing rain against a Florida team about to go on probation?

Not quite freezing, but the weather was plenty miserable. The wind almost made it rain sideways. It was on a Monday night, I THINK. I had a tough time watching it, and I BLED black and gold back then.

We should get a nice safe bowl, against a weaker opponent or BCS level school in a down year. This is to have a better chance at a win - thereby extending complacency and acceptance of mediocrity, despite the fact that we do have enough talent on this roster to expect a bit better.

My personal best case scenario: Iowa wins out, with NU losing to PSU and Iowa, Blue losing out to Iowa and OSU, Minny losing out to Wis and MSU, with MSU,Wis and OSU winning out. That would leave Iowa all alone at 5-3 in the league, having beaten the three teams that we compete for bowls: Nebby,Minny and Michigan. Now, OSU ends up in the Rose Bowl vs Oregon and kicks their butt. MSU ends up in the Fiesta Bowl vs Fresno and kicks their butt. Wisky ends up in the Capitol vs Missouri and kicks their butt. Iowa ends up in the Outback vs South Carolina and beats them. Minny to the Gator vs Ole Miss and a win. Nebby to the Buffalo WW bowl vs OK and wins, Michigan to Texas Bowl and beat Texas......Big Ten goes 7-0 beating 3 SEC teams, a Pac 12 team, two big 12 teams, MSU wins a BCS bowl over Fresno, ...that would restore the respect for Big Ten and for Iowa.

My personal best case scenario: Iowa wins out, with NU losing to PSU and Iowa, Blue losing out to Iowa and OSU, Minny losing out to Wis and MSU, with MSU,Wis and OSU winning out. That would leave Iowa all alone at 5-3 in the league, having beaten the three teams that we compete for bowls: Nebby,Minny and Michigan. Now, OSU ends up in the Rose Bowl vs Oregon and kicks their butt. MSU ends up in the Fiesta Bowl vs Fresno and kicks their butt. Wisky ends up in the Capitol vs Missouri and kicks their butt. Iowa ends up in the Outback vs South Carolina and beats them. Minny to the Gator vs Ole Miss and a win. Nebby to the Buffalo WW bowl vs OK and wins, Michigan to Texas Bowl and beat Texas......Big Ten goes 7-0 beating 3 SEC teams, a Pac 12 team, two big 12 teams, MSU wins a BCS bowl over Fresno, ...that would restore the respect for Big Ten and for Iowa.

Hey, how's your credit? I have some land I'm looking to sell that I bought down in Fla.....JK of course, and actually the scenario you paint "could" happen, but most likely will not...

...as for which bowl we play, I think the better the bowl, the better the "learning" experience for the returning players, and the better the visibility, and the longer prep time (as some bowls start like in mid-Dec). However, since we have supposedly started recruiting more out of Texas again, a game in that state would not be so bad either. The main point is we are able to have this conversation and extend our season...Now just get at least 1 of these last 2 games and the season itself will be a great building block towards the future.

I think in terms of best SEC matchup, Ole Miss would be great. A very young team and raw. I feel like we would compete well and would build for our 2014 run.

I was pretty much about to post something like this. There is no guarantee of winning that lesser bowl and no guarantee that we get stomped if we end up in the Gator Bowl..

If you ask me, I think it's better if Iowa goes 7-5 or 8-4 and ends up in a little better bowl game, then going 6-6 and being in a lower tier game. Just being 8-4 and playing on New Year's Day gives the program better publicity nationally, which is not a bad thing IMO.

I'm tired of flying under the radar. To me, that basically means that we are totally irrelevant, which can't help to make talented recruits want to flock to this program.

Yeah and beating michigan and nebraska doesn't hurt your national image either. They would be considered impressive wins for iowa and couple that with doubling our win total from last year and a good showing / win in the bowl game and iowa would be getting some preseason top 25 talk next year

Reality is going to kick in one way or the other this weekend. My fear with this team is they can't score enough points to compete with michy or nebby, Hawks will need a few the breaks.

And, despite what others say going 6 and 6 and playing in a bottom barrel tier bowl doesn't get a recruit any more hyped to join Kfed and company in Iowa City then going 4 and 8 does.

How pumped will you be when the Hawks battle Middle Tenn State, I know I'll be jacked out of my shoes.

Latest posts