Bowl game DOES matter

UTKSam

I believe these last two games are not only vital to the W-L column but for the development of our team. Pending Iowa loses one of the last two, Iowa is essentially eliminated from the Gator bowl. If they win both, I believe they are Jacksonville bound. Now many may look at this as a load of nothing. I believe it is a big deal to get to the Gator Bowl and play a decent SEC team rather than C-USA team. I think these are two of the bigger games in the KF era. Just imagine recruiting wise what 8-4 with a possible win against Ole Miss (Very good team IMO) or another decent team does for us.

just for the sake of argument and nothing better to do, I am going to take a different position here. For Iowa coming of an abysmal record of 4-8, I think they get more juice out of winning a lower bowl than appearing and getting beat in an other bowl. Another thing to consider is that the gator bowl is in a stack of SEC - BigTen games on NY day. Not sure the exposure is all that great. Might be better to play just after Christmas against no other or 1 other lower bowl.

It would be better (at this point) to win big on a smaller stage for iowa.

and here we go..............................

just for the sake of argument and nothing better to do, I am going to take a different position here. For Iowa coming of an abysmal record of 4-8, I think they get more juice out of winning a lower bowl than appearing and getting beat in an other bowl. Another thing to consider is that the gator bowl is in a stack of SEC - BigTen games on NY day. Not sure the exposure is all that great. Might be better to play just after Christmas against no other or 1 other lower bowl.

It would be better (at this point) to win big on a smaller stage for iowa.

and here we go..............................

Hard to argue against either option. Basically, we want a decent bowl game, we want to win that bowl game, we want that win to give momentum to the program through better recruiting.

The only question becomes, do we want a given game because we "think" it's an easier win vs. a different bowl/opponent?

To my mind, extra practices and development and momentum trumps revenue or perceived prestige for right now. If that means Heart of Darkness Bowl against East Pine Tree U for the win, that's fine. But at a certain point, recruits want to know they have a GOOD chance of playing "prestige" bowls, not just winning any old bowl.

Chicken, meet egg. Now which of you came first?

I would love to see us in the Gator bowl. I think we could hang with a lot of schools and wouldn't get embarrassed. We may not be able to finish a game, but we can at least keep it close.
You know what would be really embarrassing is going to a lower tier bowl and getting beaten down by an opponent like Tulsa.

I would love to see us in the Gator bowl. I think we could hang with a lot of schools and wouldn't get embarrassed. We may not be able to finish a game, but we can at least keep it close.
You know what would be really embarrassing is going to a lower tier bowl and getting beaten down by an opponent like Tulsa.

I was pretty much about to post something like this. There is no guarantee of winning that lesser bowl and no guarantee that we get stomped if we end up in the Gator Bowl..

If you ask me, I think it's better if Iowa goes 7-5 or 8-4 and ends up in a little better bowl game, then going 6-6 and being in a lower tier game. Just being 8-4 and playing on New Year's Day gives the program better publicity nationally, which is not a bad thing IMO.

I'm tired of flying under the radar. To me, that basically means that we are totally irrelevant, which can't help to make talented recruits want to flock to this program.

Whatever creates the best match-ups throughout the Big Ten so that the conference doesn't embarrass themselves is fine by me.

I believe these last two games are not only vital to the W-L column but for the development of our team. Pending Iowa loses one of the last two, Iowa is essentially eliminated from the Gator bowl. If they win both, I believe they are Jacksonville bound. Now many may look at this as a load of nothing. I believe it is a big deal to get to the Gator Bowl and play a decent SEC team rather than C-USA team. I think these are two of the bigger games in the KF era. Just imagine recruiting wise what 8-4 with a possible win against Ole Miss (Very good team IMO) or another decent team does for us.
I agree … and I would really like to see a match up against an SEC school. Little known fact but we are 5-2 against the SEC in bowl games.

KF has a history of doing well when he has an extended preparaton time. Bring on the sec.

Last edited:
Most interesting!! Could it be out-coaches them?

Duh, no. Kf has never out coached anyone. When we win it's because we have better players or our defensive coordinator beat them and when we lose it's because of coaching or lack of recruiting which is also coaching.

Duh, no. Kf has never out coached anyone. When we win it's because we have better players or our defensive coordinator beat them and when we lose it's because of coaching or lack of recruiting which is also coaching.

Doesn't he coach the defense too? Didn't he recruit the better players as well? Just asking. I thought he did.

Florida bowl games are better for Iowa on a variety of levels. Payout doesn't matter, it's split. We'll jump Minnesota if we're close on the Gator Bowl. I think we have a chance at Florida if either the B1G gets two BCS bids, or we at least split our last two games. Florida is also better for me personally, but that isn't the point I'm making.

Latest posts