Bower keeps moving up for Hawkeyes

All I know is I have tried to reason with myself why we are going to be ok at LB but the closer the season gets the more worried I am about this group.

I have read all about the 'emergence' of Bower and Jewel and I do not deny the possibility that they could be really good at some point. The issue is will they be good starting this Saturday? How can someone be declared as an emergence that has yet to record a single tackle in a live game? Yes our DL should be stout but rarely is the DL the primary tacklers in the run game. Everything is funneled to the LB's and this is what is scary to me. Bower is 6'1 220 while Johnson is going to be running down hill at 6'3" 235. Jewel is not huge either. Two of the guys they are replacing were not only drafted but may start in the NFL. How can this not be a major drop off at this key position at least initially?

If we are upset by UNI I suspect issue # 1 is going to be the LB's in the run game.

Again not saying these guys cannot be good at some point but this position group is a serious question mark.

All I know is I have tried to reason with myself why we are going to be ok at LB but the closer the season gets the more worried I am about this group.

I have read all about the 'emergence' of Bower and Jewel and I do not deny the possibility that they could be really good at some point. The issue is will they be good starting this Saturday? How can someone be declared as an emergence that has yet to record a single tackle in a live game? Yes our DL should be stout but rarely is the DL the primary tacklers in the run game. Everything is funneled to the LB's and this is what is scary to me. Bower is 6'1 220 while Johnson is going to be running down hill at 6'3" 235. Jewel is not huge either. Two of the guys they are replacing were not only drafted but may start in the NFL. How can this not be a major drop off at this key position at least initially?

If we are upset by UNI I suspect issue # 1 is going to be the LB's in the run game.

Again not saying these guys cannot be good at some point but this position group is a serious question mark.

Iowa has always done well with linebackers and there really should be no reason for concern. I understand not knowing doesn't help. Neither does losing the guys we did, but I think we have always gotten pretty good play out of our linebackers and this season should be no different. Fingers crossed.

You obviously don't remember 2010.

That’s what I was about to say. I hope this isn’t what were are about to be looking at. Regarding UNI, I’m a bit more worried about the linebackers in the passing game than the runnning game. If they struggle this week, it will likely be a tell for the season.

I understand what you're saying, and there is certainly a legit reason to be concerned when you consider the fact Johnson is a damn good running back. However, a big part of the reason he has so much hype is because of the way he ran over the Iowa State defense last year. Iowa's defense, even with losing the 3 starting LB's from last year, is still a far cry from the absolutely atrocious Iowa State defense. The biggest difference being up front. UNI's offensive line controlled the ISU defensive line. That isn't going to happen against Iowa's defensive line which should make it a little easier on the new LBs to make some plays.

Now with that said, they still have to make the correct reads, fill the correct gaps, and use good fundamental tackling techniques. If they are underperforming in any of those aspects then it could very well spell trouble. This is why I don't think you're crazy for a being a bit concerned. I share that concern so I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Latest posts