Bowen one of greatest Hawkeye players of all time?

SwirlinLingerie

I remember Ryan Bowen as an extremely hard working player with somewhat limited skills who "overachieved."

But I wonder, given all the statistical analysis used today (especially in the NBA), if Bowen would be more highly thought of and deemed one of the greatest Hawkeye players of all time?

When you look at his statistics, from career rebounds, steals, points, blocked shots, and efficiency (shot 57% for his career while playing an all out style and heavy minutes!), it seems like he was a far greater player than many of us thought at the time.

Also, take into account his elite defense. I remember he guarded just about everyone on Kentucky's roster in that tourney game and guarded them well - and I believe that included guys like Antoine Walker and Tony Delk.

Not that we didn't appreciate him, but I don't think we understood how dynamic he was. I bet his +/- rating was pretty awesome.

Although he didn't score a ton of points, he had more of a superstar college career (especially his last two years) than we realized at the time.

Glad he's back.

Personally, I think I appreciated him at the time he was playing just fine. When Bowen played, i felt he was one of the 5 best bigs of my lifetime. Furthermore, I think that he was an incredible athlete. I think that some may have undervalued his skill set, but I don't count myself in that category.

Bowen was quick, had incredible feet, great hands, ran like a deer at 6'9" and had the stamina of a decathalete. He was not your highlite guy necessarily but he was probably a superior athlete to most guys making highlite reels.

He was a nice player, but I'd take Kent MacCausland over him any day as a player or a coach.

Did you really just say Kent MacCausland was better than Ryan Bowen??? WOW!! No way!! MacCausland would not have been able to play for any other big ten team. He shot the 3, that is it. He played absolutely no D, I loved watching him guard the ball and get blown out of his shorts. He couldn't handle the ball either. If John Lickliter was 6'4 he would be Kent MacCausland. I don't dislike Kent but all he could do was shoot and when he was on he didn't miss.

I don't think Bowen was great either but he could have played on many other teams in the big ten. He had a good career as a hawk.

He was a nice player, but I'd take Kent MacCausland over him any day as a player or a coach.

While I like Kent a lot, Ryan Bowen was the epitome of the heart and soul of the Iowa basketball program during the Tom Davis years, and any years for that matter.

Bowen outworked people and kept improving. He could rebound, score inside or outside and play tenacious defense.

Ryan always did all the "little things" that made his teammates and his team better. No one player personified "unselfishness" like Ryan did, at all levels.

I am getting really excited about Iowa basketball.:D

Ryan always did all the "little things" that made his teammates and his team better. No one player personified "unselfishness" like Ryan did, at all levels.

I am getting really excited about Iowa basketball.:D

Calm down Garber...and for God's sake, turn your webcam OFF!

And welcome to HawkeyeNation!

IATrain - good points. People too often thought of him as "scrappy" instead of the incredible athlete he was.

It's the comments like how Bowen did the "little things" that I was talking about. No, he did the big things. He did everything but score a ton of points.

The only thing that Ryan Bowen could not do on the court,shoot a jump shot, was the only thing that Kent could do on the court.

If Ryan had a good jumper,he would be one of the all time Iowa greats,perception as well as in reality. But he was one of the really good ones...no doubt about it. That is why he had that decade in the NBA.

JHHawk, remember towards the end of Bowen's career, when he became more aggressive offensively, his man would literally play 3 steps off him, begging him to shoot. And Bowen was still quick enough to get past his man and get to the hole. His lateral quickness might have been some of the best of any big man to ever play in the Big Ten. Side to side he moved like a lightening quick point guard...not bad up and down the floor either.

Latest posts