Boom - Deacon Hill

This pretty much guarantees Lainez is gonna be the dude after the first couple weeks. Which is ok in my book.

McNamara’s knees aren’t gonna hold out (google academic studies on the recurrence rate after multiple previous knee injuries) and an FNG isn’t going to learn the system quickly enough now that spring ball is done. Even if someone could learn it quickly, Iowa isn’t going to get a stud in the portal regardless.

GO MARCO!

KF hates using you because you run, just like he hated using Banks. Go out there and prove to that bag of cobwebs that the future of Iowa football for the next year or two isn’t to stand under center and get sacked waiting for a one star receiver to get open.

You’re gonna have to get this thing done yourself, Marco, and us reasonable true Hawk fans have your back. Forget about what the old crusty codgers on HN say.

Just a guess, but after the spring practice I wonder if Kirk and company had a little meeting with Deacon and just laid it there that you seeing the playing field this upcoming season is not looking good.

This pretty much guarantees Lainez is gonna be the dude after the first couple weeks. Which is ok in my book.

McNamara’s knees aren’t gonna hold out (google academic studies on the recurrence rate after multiple previous knee injuries) and an FNG isn’t going to learn the system quickly enough now that spring ball is done. Even if someone could learn it quickly, Iowa isn’t going to get a stud in the portal regardless.

GO MARCO!

KF hates using you because you run, just like he hated using Banks. Go out there and prove to that bag of cobwebs that the future of Iowa football for the next year or two isn’t to stand under center and get sacked waiting for a one star receiver to get open.

You’re gonna have to get this thing done yourself, Marco, and us reasonable true Hawk fans have your back. Forget about what the old crusty codgers on HN say.
This also pretty much guarantees Iowa will take a portal QB. I hope Marco is the guy, but I would not want to bet my season on it. Plus, if Cade goes down, the next guy in is green as they get.

In addition to Hill, the Hawkeyes have signed and lost quarterbacks Alex Padilla, Deuce Hogan, Joe Labas and Carson May to the transfer portal since the 2019 recruiting class.

The use of the term "lost" seems like a stretch for most of these guys. They were told where they were at in the depth chart and they chose to leave. They were all either at least third string, or had shown enough in playing time to know they were not Big10 QBs.

Given that almost every team only plays one QB, its pretty common for backups to transfer. It happens in just about every program. These transfers do not bother me. Just part of the current environment in CFB.

The use of the term "lost" seems like a stretch for most of these guys. They were told where they were at in the depth chart and they chose to leave. They were all either at least third string, or had shown enough in playing time to know they were not Big10 QBs.

Given that almost every team only plays one QB, its pretty common for backups to transfer. It happens in just about every program. These transfers do not bother me. Just part of the current environment in CFB.

But you need at least SOME of them to hit, you cannot whiff on this many in a row.

For what it is worth, apparently Labas threw for 4 TDs and ran for 2 more in C Michigan 's spring game.

This also pretty much guarantees Iowa will take a portal QB. I hope Marco is the guy, but I would not want to bet my season on it. Plus, if Cade goes down, the next guy in is green as they get.
Yeah they'll have to grab a portal guy but I don't think there's a splash pickup out there number one, and number two, missing spring ball would in my opinion not leave enough time/reps for a new guy to pass Lainez. McNamara will likely start the year out, but I have almost zero confidence that he'll stay healthy.

Plus, if Cade goes down, the next guy in is green as they get.
Agreed, but even though it was just a single game, Lainez at least has had a sliver of exposure and shown he can move. I actually feel good that he's a Freshman. If Iowa can keep him out of the portal for a year we have the possibility of a three year starter if he works out. That's why seeing what he can do this year is so important. McNamara ain't the answer at all and it's imperative in my opinion that we at least see what ML can do before losing a guy to the portal.

Iowa is not a team that can rely on getting good prospects out of the portal...there's no draw for those kinds of players here. Anytime we can get a system guy and develop is going to be preferrable imo.

People are biased thinking CM is a stud because 1) he came from Michigan, and 2) there was so much fanfare when he signed. Unwarranted. He was a miss and people need to get over it.

The question is whether he or Lainez is better and whether KF wants to admit it.

Yeah they'll have to grab a portal guy but I don't think there's a splash pickup out there number one, and number two, missing spring ball would in my opinion not leave enough time/reps for a new guy to pass Lainez. McNamara will likely start the year out, but I have almost zero confidence that he'll stay healthy.

Agreed, but even though it was just a single game, Lainez at least has had a sliver of exposure and shown he can move. I actually feel good that he's a Freshman. If Iowa can keep him out of the portal for a year we have the possibility of a three year starter if he works out. That's why seeing what he can do this year is so important. McNamara ain't the answer at all and it's imperative in my opinion that we at least see what ML can do before losing a guy to the portal.

Iowa is not a team that can rely on getting good prospects out of the portal...there's no draw for those kinds of players here. Anytime we can get a system guy and develop is going to be preferrable imo.
Rumors flying that NW's QB is heading to IC.

Latest posts