Books about University of Iowa/Iowa Sports

iowanative

I am currently reading the new Dan Gable book (http://www.amazon.com/Wrestling-Lif...UTF8&qid=1430856630&sr=1-1&keywords=dan+gable). It is entertaining and a pretty quick read (maybe too quick at only 140 pages). I've also read a book on the history of University of Iowa, but I don't remember which one it was.

I've checked Amazon for other books on stories about Iowa sports, former coaches/players, and the university, and there are a number of them. For those who read these types of things, would you have any recommendations?

"75 Years of Hawkeye Football" and the follow-up of the following 25 years. The latter is by Al Grady, don't have the books in front of me to tell who co-authors were on first one.

There's one called Brilliant Offensive Trick Plays of the last 15 years. It's a one-page pamphlet...written on a 3"x5" index card.

A few of my favorites:

Hayden Fry, A high porch picnic
Greatest Moments in Iowa Hawkeye Football History, 1998, Mark Dukes and Gus Schrader
Hawkeye Legends, Lists, and Lore. The Athletic History of the Iowa Hawkeyes, 1998, Mike Finn and Chad Leistikow
...If you are a wrestling fan, read:
Four Days To Glory, Wrestling With the Soul of the American Heartland, 2007, Mark Kreidler
Talkin' Dan Gable, 1983, Stephen T. Holland

Enjoy

I would second the motion on Legends, Lists, and Lore...great coffee table book that I pick up and scan now and then. Many of my guests here at my house have picked it up and have been very impressed.

"75 Years of Hawkeye Football" and the follow-up of the following 25 years. The latter is by Al Grady, don't have the books in front of me to tell who co-authors were on first one.
Dick Lamb and Bert McGrane. Good history from the beginning through the early 60s.

Tales from the Iowa Sidelines by Ron Maly, former DMR writer, is a collection of anecdotes one can breeze through.

Man, the Hawks were close to being a perennial power in the late 50s with Evy, then poof, it went away. Oh, what might have been.

flyingtrapeze.jpg

Not widely read, but highly acclaimed.

349ef957b5d487f5f65da635f975d41b.jpg

This has been collecting dust on my coffee table for....well, I can't quite remember, probably the last time Moby Dick was a minnow

Latest posts