Bold Prediction: Jack Nunge

Joe would definitely be a sleeper pick for rebound leader because of the minutes he will get and being a pretty good rebounder for his position. I still think one of the bigs get it and I’m thinking it will be Nunge.
Garza really disappointed me as a rebounder this year. Wiescamp is our best returning rebounder by far. He's quick off the floor and has a good sense of anticipation for which way the ball is coming off.

Jack Nunge will lead the 2019-2020 Iowa Hawkeyes in the following categories:

- Rebounds

- Blocked Shots

- Defensive Rating

i will say that i believe nunge is going to be a vital piece to the puzzle and we need him to lead in those categories. however, i was very impressed with JW's ability to rebound in traffic. if JW can add 10 lbs of muscle and improve his hops just a bit, i think JW could become a rebounding monster.

If Tyler Cook is a second round choice in the NBA draft or isn't drafted at all, I can see Nunge taking up the slack.

What does TC have to do with it? I don't get it. He's gone. Nunge's performance isn't connected to TC in any way.

The Vanilla Gorilla?

The Milky Mantis
blog-20120912-img1.png

Yep, I don't see a guy who redshirts because he knows he isn't "there" yet, all of a sudden is the best player on the team. I'd be stoked if that was the case, but I don't see it.

If Nunge felt that only Kriener type minutes were available for him this year and Garza type minutes will be available next year, it could make sense to red shirt even if you are somewhere in between Garza and Kriener talent wise. And that was at the time of his decision. It's very possible that Fran was hating that he red shirted by the halfway mark of the season. Similar to how he hated that Baer was red shirting halfway through his freshman year.

Then when you factor in another year to improve after that and it's entirely possible he will be one of the best players on the team. I'm with you that odds are against it when you just look at the odds of that happening to any random player. But there is talk and evidence that Nunge might very well have a high ceiling and it will be 2 years since we last saw him. We all know he was bad as a 3, but could you even imagine Garza or Kriener trying the 3?

Clearly Nunge has some serious skills for a guy his size for Fran to even think it could be possible. And now he is even bigger.

If Nunge felt that only Kriener type minutes were available for him this year and Garza type minutes will be available next year, it could make sense to red shirt even if you are somewhere in between Garza and Kriener talent wise. And that was at the time of his decision. It's very possible that Fran was hating that he red shirted by the halfway mark of the season. Similar to how he hated that Baer was red shirting halfway through his freshman year.

Then when you factor in another year to improve after that and it's entirely possible he will be one of the best players on the team. I'm with you that odds are against it when you just look at the odds of that happening to any random player. But there is talk and evidence that Nunge might very well have a high ceiling and it will be 2 years since we last saw him. We all know he was bad as a 3, but could you even imagine Garza or Kriener trying the 3?

Clearly Nunge has some serious skills for a guy his size for Fran to even think it could be possible. And now he is even bigger.

I think nunge realized after his freshman year that he needed to add weight to hang on the inside in the big ten. He's a stretch 4 who has a similar skill set as uthoff and I assume the redshirt year did wonders for him.

It's worth pointing out that uthoff didn't really get going until his 4th season of college. Meanwhile nunge got a taste of the college level his freshman year and then got to take a year to develop afterwards

Nunge at the 4 and Wieskamp at the 3 for the next 3 years should be really solid. I am muy excite

I think nunge realized after his freshman year that he needed to add weight to hang on the inside in the big ten. He's a stretch 4 who has a similar skill set as uthoff and I assume the redshirt year did wonders for him.

It's worth pointing out that uthoff didn't really get going until his 4th season of college. Meanwhile nunge got a taste of the college level his freshman year and then got to take a year to develop afterwards

Nunge at the 4 and Wieskamp at the 3 for the next 3 years should be really solid. I am muy excite

If Patrick ends up being good it could be him at the 3 and Wieskamp at the 2.

His freshman stats were ok at least on offense. If you project his stats out to 30 minutes he was around 11 points, 6 rebounds. 33% from 3 and .8 blocks.

He did taper off as big ten season hit though and his body couldn't hang and he seemed out of position a lot. Hopefully 25 pounds of muscle can change all that.

I carry 25 pounds of muscle....in my pants.

Was that last comment necessary? Don't need the visual....

[QUOTE="mopkins”] Hopefully 25 pounds of muscle can change all that.

I carry 25 pounds of muscle....in my pants.[/QUOTE]
12.5 on each side of the split?

For those who recall, early in the season his freshman year Nunge actually started some games down low alongside Cook, and Garza came off the bench. This was a 5 game stretch that included games at Indiana and at Iowa State.

Nunge:
20 MPG / 10.6 PPG / 4 RPG / 1.6 BPG
54.3% FG / 33.33% 3P%

That’s pretty quality play. Adjust that out to 25+ minutes and those numbers are solid, certainly hoping his rebounding improves a bit with the additional strength.

As it played out Garza played so well he forced his way back into the lineup which moved Nunge to reserve role and Fran tried to find him minutes at the 3.

For Nunge next year he’s coming into a great situation. He will likely be the 5th scoring option (assuming Moss is back). He will be able to focus in on defense and hitting the glass and not have to worry about scoring every night. My guess is he will get quite a few open looks with the options we have around him and he’s shown the ability to knock them down. My expectations are high for this kid, but it’s not like he's some scrub who’s never done it at this level.

For those who recall, early in the season his freshman year Nunge actually started some games down low alongside Cook, and Garza came off the bench. This was a 5 game stretch that included games at Indiana and at Iowa State.

Nunge:
20 MPG / 10.6 PPG / 4 RPG / 1.6 BPG
54.3% FG / 33.33% 3P%

That’s pretty quality play. Adjust that out to 25+ minutes and those numbers are solid, certainly hoping his rebounding improves a bit with the additional strength.

As it played out Garza played so well he forced his way back into the lineup which moved Nunge to reserve role and Fran tried to find him minutes at the 3.

For Nunge next year he’s coming into a great situation. He will likely be the 5th scoring option (assuming Moss is back). He will be able to focus in on defense and hitting the glass and not have to worry about scoring every night. My guess is he will get quite a few open looks with the options we have around him and he’s shown the ability to knock them down. My expectations are high for this kid, but it’s not like he's some scrub who’s never done it at this level.

Bolder bold prediction for you. Nunge leads us in scoring. I hope he's also the rim protector we've been missing. His length can definitely bother people on defense.

He was funner up for player of the year in Indiana his senior year of high school. He has grown four or five inches since then and put on around thirty pounds. That's good enough for me. I don't know how next year will go, but he is a talented guy. I wonder if Fran would play Garza at power forward, and Nunge at center. When Garza was first recruited Fran compared him to a Kevin McHale type.

He was funner up for player of the year in Indiana his senior year of high school. He has grown four or five inches since then and put on around thirty pounds. That's good enough for me. I don't know how next year will go, but he is a talented guy. I wonder if Fran would play Garza at power forward, and Nunge at center. When Garza was first recruited Fran compared him to a Kevin McHale type.
Nunge likes to face up and can shoot it from the outside. He has much better feet than Garza. He isn’t extremely comfortable with his back to the basket. I expect him to play out on the perimeter to give space for Garza down low where he is extremely efficient. As we know there will be times when Garza steps out to the perimeter and Jack can go down low if the matchup is there, but for the most part we want Garza down low at the center.

Nunge likes to face up and can shoot it from the outside. He has much better feet than Garza. He isn’t extremely comfortable with his back to the basket. I expect him to play out on the perimeter to give space for Garza down low where he is extremely efficient. As we know there will be times when Garza steps out to the perimeter and Jack can go down low if the matchup is there, but for the most part we want Garza down low at the center.

*From what we've seen out of Nunge so far. Thirty pounds and a few inches plus a redshirt year to work on your back to the basket game could have changed that preference significantly. It won't surprise me one bit if Fran switches them in and out of the post on a regular basis. Though I do think Garza is more suited for staying in the middle and has now has an extra year of Big Ten experience doing it.