Bold Prediction for Next Year

Can someone provide examples of players that redshirted after his freshman year that was NOT due to a medical redshirt?

I can't recall of any examples but maybe this does happen.

How about Hawkeye freshman that have been the go to guy for us? Who has had the best season as a freshman for us?

Brad Lohaus Made a big difference in his play I doubt he would ever have played in the NBA if he hadnt RS
Can someone provide examples of players that redshirted after his freshman year that was NOT due to a medical redshirt?

Brad Lohaus Made a big difference in his play I doubt he would ever have played in the NBA if he hadnt RS

Lohaus was a far more skilled player than Gabe.

I don't know why Iowa would redshirt Gabe. It seems to Benefit Gabe more than Iowa.

In theory Woodbury should be playing more minutes next year as he should be improved unless people feel the coaching staff is not good enough to help Woodbury improve. So why is Iowa going to redshirt a back up center. One would fell you can recruit a center next year or the year after who is a back up that can turn into a starter pefectly fine.

I don't understand the benefit of redshirting Gabe unless the idea is he will be better than Woodbury and start over Woodbury.

Kelly Olynyk: I think Gabe could really benefit from a redshirt year. He may not be terribly skilled yet but has raw athletic ability that you don't often see in players his size.

Kelly Olynyk: I think Gabe could really benefit from a redshirt year. He may not be terribly skilled yet but has raw athletic ability that you don't often see in players his size.

Sorry, didn't scroll down far enough...he is just one example and he is really good, probably why people make big deal of it. I agree with you on Gabe and I think Ingram would have been redshirted if Fran would have ever guessed May would be playing as consistent as he has.

I don't know why Iowa would redshirt Gabe. It seems to Benefit Gabe more than Iowa.

In theory Woodbury should be playing more minutes next year as he should be improved unless people feel the coaching staff is not good enough to help Woodbury improve. So why is Iowa going to redshirt a back up center. One would fell you can recruit a center next year or the year after who is a back up that can turn into a starter pefectly fine.

I don't understand the benefit of redshirting Gabe unless the idea is he will be better than Woodbury and start over Woodbury.

Because with Meyer back in the mix and McCabe/Basabe being Seniors, there will be limited playing time and I think Woodbury will be ready to play a lot of minutes next year.

When Basabe/McCabe graduate then Meyer will slide back over to back up White at the PF position and Gabe backs up Woodbury, but all four guys can play each position. Actually, it would make Iowa's roster more flexible and Iowa wouldn't be forced to bring in a big guy in 2014, unless they play to redshirt that big guy. Basabe/White/Woodbury are going to get the majority of the minutes next year and with Uthoff and Jok in the fold, Iowa has a lot of options and different combinations, I don't see Meyer/Olaseni getting many minutes, so let Olaseni learn another year with no pressure.

I think for recruiting and balancing out some classes, it makes sense. If Gabe doesn't start, it doesn't mean that he won't play a lot either. Iowa could go really big with Gesell, Jok, White, Olaseni and Woodbury. Olaseni is a lot like Kurt Looby, but I think he can be better having played in the Big Ten, for his entire career.

Don't forget about the need for depth, specific to a position, i.e., point guard. We have been pretty fortunate this year with regard to injuries. Look at what has happened to some other BT teams. Fran will have the same issue next year...a lot of good players who deserve minutes. He has, IMHO, done a good job of keeping everyone happy this year. Red shirt Gabe...good idea. You still have McCabe, Woodbury, Basabe, and Uthoff who can play the 5. You lose two of those guys after next year, so keep Gabe. You could certainly red shirt Ingram as well. Next year you still have Gesell, Clemmons, and Marble. The following year you would have Gesell, Clemmons, Ingram. I definitely would want three point guards around. Now, you guys make a good point on using up scholarships with redshirts. I guess I would wait and see what happens with near future recruiting successes before any big decisions are made in that area. Wow. This sure is fun. I think Jok and Uthoff will be HUGE additions to this program.

I hope you meant white or meyer when you were naming off who could play the 5 and not uthoff. Uthoff is a 3/4 and should never play the 5...he would get beat around at the 5. White and basabe probably shouldn't play the 5 but they can a lot better than uthoff would. Both have this year...mccabe is limited and meyer is most likely a 4/5. Then woody gives us our best true 5.

I think you are remembering the BL after the RS year not before, I do agree RS Gabe might help him more than Iowa.

I think you are remembering the BL after the RS year not before, I do agree RS Gabe might help him more than Iowa.

Lohuas was really not much until he was a senior. I just checked and his numbers as a junior, after the red-shirt, were actually a bit worse than they were as a sophomore.

I specifically remember thinking in his sophomore year how much he had improved because when someone passed him the ball he would catch it. Snarky, I know, but I was young then.

Not hating on Lohaus. Really. Still, looking at his stats and remembering his play early on make me appreciate what we might have in Woodbury and makes me think a red-shirt year for Gabe could pay big dividends down the road. Not saying I'm in favor of a red-shirt but it could be a positive for both Gabe and Iowa, probably not a senior-year Lohaus level positive but still.

Latest posts