The Hawks are just worn out

With only 3 players off the bench who are not really scoring threats

We have had a brutal schedule the last week or so

Wisconsin was a brutal brawl at Carver

Three days later @ #9 Maryland who doesn't lose at home

Three days later top-ranked B1G Illinois comes to Carver, another brutal brawl

Three days later @ Purdue who almost always wins at Home

Really rough tough schedule with only 3/4 players who are a threat to score

What we need more than anything is a bye week which doesn't appear to be going to happen

We will recover from tonight's game and get back on track

That schedule: 4 games in 9 days against that level of competition was a Nightmare

The schedule eases up a bit after the Saturday game @ Carver against Nebraska

We have 5 days before the game @ Indiana

Followed 3 days later @ Minnesota

Then 4 days later Ohio State @ Carver

Then a 5 day break before the Spartans at Lansing

After that:: A five day break before the Penn St Game @ Carver

Following that: 3 days later the Boilermakers come to town

We will be ready for that one

Five days later we travel to Illinois in the final regular-season game

A somewhat better schedule the rest of the way

I can see us going 5-3 in that stretch

Winning all the games at Carver and Indiana on the road

Losing to MSU, Illinois, and Minnesota away from Carver

That would give us a 12-8 record and at least a first-round bye in the B1G tournament

And perhaps depending on how the chips fall: We finish in the top 4 which is a definite possibility this season

:cool:

There needs to be an investigation of Mackey Arena immediately! Purdue, a team barely above .500, has beaten UVA, MSU, Wisky, and us by a combined 120 points, an avg margin of 30 points. How the F does that happen? Once can be explained. The odds of that happening 4 times, by that margin, to teams of that caliber has to approach something along the lines of winning the lottery. Unless there’s some funny business going on! :)
it is an engineering school. They have figured out how to very slightly expand the rim circumference on their side and reduce it for their opponent and reverse it at the half. That’s the only explanation.

There needs to be an investigation of Mackey Arena immediately! Purdue, a team barely above .500, has beaten UVA, MSU, Wisky, and us by a combined 120 points, an avg margin of 30 points. How the F does that happen? Once can be explained. The odds of that happening 4 times, by that margin, to teams of that caliber has to approach something along the lines of winning the lottery. Unless there’s some funny business going on! :)

Its the officiating, of course. I mean, allowing Purdue to hit 55% on 3's? What else could it be........? And people say I don't have a sense of humor.........

Or, in the words of Forrest, Forrest Gump, "Sometimes there aren't enough rocks".
Purdue will never have another game like that. They blew their loads against us, MSU, Virginia....
Coach Tom Kelly, Minnesota Twins, "You play 162 games, for most decent teams, there are 1/3 of the games you "might" win by great play and coaching, there are 1/3 of the games you will win and the other team can do nothing about it, the other 1/3 of the games you will lose, miserably, and there is nothing the players or coaches can do about it." The 1/3 of the games that are "in play" make or break a season.

To be fair, this reminds of the 2017 OSU FB game.

An aberration, something unlikely to ever happen again soon.

Except Purdue did this to Virginia (29 point win), Michigan State (29 point win), and Wisconsin (19 point win) at home this year as well. They didn't hit that many threes in those games, but they crushed those teams too. For whatever reason ... :)

To be fair, this reminds of the 2017 OSU FB game.

An aberration, something unlikely to ever happen again soon.
I feel the same way, this is an outlier not a trend.
Watching it, I was sadly reminded of the Hawkslayer Bowl. Truly hard to watch in all aspects of the game.

Coach Tom Kelly, Minnesota Twins, "You play 162 games, for most decent teams, there are 1/3 of the games you "might" win by great play and coaching, there are 1/3 of the games you will win and the other team can do nothing about it, the other 1/3 of the games you will lose, miserably, and there is nothing the players or coaches can do about it." The 1/3 of the games that are "in play" make or break a season.

That's pretty good. Seems pretty similar for most basketball teams too. We can say we needed to rebound better, or shoot better, or play better defense. But none of that really matters. Once that Purdue team showed up, we were losing no matter what.

That's pretty good. Seems pretty similar for most basketball teams too. We can say we needed to rebound better, or shoot better, or play better defense. But none of that really matters. Once that Purdue team showed up, we were losing no matter what.

The only caveat I might add to that is, early in the game, Purdue was missing quite a bit, but kept getting the offensive rebound. It may not have mattered at all, but I had a feeling that if we could have just shored up the rebounding issues early, it would have kept Purdue from getting so much early momentum. Maybe that means we only lose by 16 instead of 36, who knows. But our early rebounding issues just killed us.

The only caveat I might add to that is, early in the game, Purdue was missing quite a bit, but kept getting the offensive rebound. It may not have mattered at all, but I had a feeling that if we could have just shored up the rebounding issues early, it would have kept Purdue from getting so much early momentum. Maybe that means we only lose by 16 instead of 36, who knows. But our early rebounding issues just killed us.
You can rebound better if you have the athletes and depth to play man to man.

You can rebound better if you have the athletes and depth to play man to man.

We're actually a fairly decent rebounding team out of the zone considering it's not the easiest thing in the world to keep teams off the glass in a zone. But we were a step (or two or three) slow last night and they just beat us to every loose ball. It was frustrating, to say the least. But it'll be forgotten once we curbstomp Nebraska.

This is the game screwed up my 6 game parlay.

I used to do parleys, 2 team, 3 team, 4 team , etc

Always got 2 out of 3, 3 out of four, and so on

Never won one

I was in Vegas before the 2004 NCAA Basketball Tournament

They had a bet where you picked a team without a point spread. If you won you were paid accordingly. I bet $50 on a ten-team parley. If all the teams won, I would get $10,000

The first 9 teams won.. The final game was Illinois-Duke and the over-under was 140

I was already spending the money in my head

Then I watched Dee Clark miss layups over and over in the first half

Players on both teams missed wide-open shots and layups the entire game

The final score was: Duke 72-Illinois 62

I never placed a bet again

Last edited:
I used to do parleys, 2 team, 3 tram, 4 team , etc

Always got 2 out of 3, 3 out of four, and so on

Never won one

I was in Vegas before the 2004 NCAA Basketball Tournament

They had a bet where you picked a team without a point spread. If you won you were paid accordingly. I bet $50 on a ten-team parley. If all the teams won, I would get $10,000

The first 9 teams won.. The final game was Illinois-Duke and the over-under was 140

I was already spending the money in my head

Then I watched Dee Clark miss layups over and over in the first half

Players on both missed wide-open shots and layups the entire game

The final score was: Duke 72-Illinois 62

I never placed a bet again

I would have made at least a 1000 dollar bet on the under before the tip. Gotta hedge that bet.

We're actually a fairly decent rebounding team out of the zone considering it's not the easiest thing in the world to keep teams off the glass in a zone. But we were a step (or two or three) slow last night and they just beat us to every loose ball. It was frustrating, to say the least. But it'll be forgotten once we curbstomp Nebraska.

Latest posts