Bohnenkamp: Hawkeyes Pay Price for Letting Up in Loss to Indiana

Luka gets it...and I’m pretty sure when Luka speaks the players listen. If we’re going to come out and make somebody pay @ Illinois is one of the top 3 options IMO...basically get this loss back.

I don't like to point fingers but to have a team leader busting the chops of working stiffs doing their job and then lay an egg on game day, that's unacceptable. Maybe him talking about national championships is a little premature right now. I posted earlier Indiana was not a team to sleep on and regrettable I was right. And I'm not talking about Garza.

I don't like to point fingers but to have a team leader busting the chops of working stiffs doing their job and then lay an egg on game day, that's unacceptable. Maybe him talking about national championships is a little premature right now. I posted earlier Indiana was not a team to sleep on and regrettable I was right. And I'm not talking about Garza.
Of course, when you shoot about 0% from the floor yer gonna lose, but I was frustrated by the lack of communication on Indiana's weak-side double downs vs Garza. Cant' be sure but I don't recall hearing any heads up to Garza as they doubled him. I grew up expecting to hear something like: "Double coming Luka", or "Double team coming Luka". Maybe our boys did communicate to him but sure didn't seem like it was timely or effective. You better believe Iowa will see this every game now until we prove we can burn those who bring it.

Of course, when you shoot about 0% from the floor yer gonna lose, but I was frustrated by the lack of communication on Indiana's weak-side double downs vs Garza. Cant' be sure but I don't recall hearing any heads up to Garza as they doubled him. I grew up expecting to hear something like: "Double coming Luka", or "Double team coming Luka". Maybe our boys did communicate to him but sure didn't seem like it was timely or effective. You better believe Iowa will see this every game now until we prove we can burn those who bring it.
I hope you’re right. Because it’s going to be very rare that we shoot that poorly from 2 or 3. Indiana’s strategy will be an Iowa win the vast majority of the time. I certainly hope they try it again at their place...an eye for an eye.

Garza has to be careful what he says as it could lead to dissension on the team. “I did my part where were you guys at?” That’s not going to fly in college basketball as the other players will start to resent it.

You also got to give a lot of credit to the Indiana coaches and players for playing hard nose defense. Something our coaching staff and players fall way short of. Fran either can’t recruit or coach consistent strong defensive minded players.

Last edited:
What will really suck is if we play our guts out and ten times better at Illinois and still lose, which is possible.

This is not a forgiving league.

We will see how this team responds. Wisconsin recovered from its putrid effort at Michigan with two solid wins. Michigan bounced back from Minnesota. Indiana had a week to stew over a bad home loss to Purdue.

We got up nine in the second half and perhaps thought Indiana would fold, like Maryland and Northwestern did.

Indiana didn't. You could feel it just watching on TV. That game felt over when that freshman hit the trey from the corner to go up five.

There was still plenty of time left, but the game felt over. Look at the comments from the game thread.

Garza has to be careful what he says as it could lead to dissension on the team. “I did my part where were you guys at?” That’s not going to fly in college basketball as the other players will start to resent it.

You also got to give a lot of credit to the Indiana coaches and players for playing hard nose defense. Something our coaching staff and players fall way short of. Fran either can’t recruit or coach consistent strong defensive minded players.
I just reread the linked material because I couldn’t remember Garza saying he did his part... Of course it’s not there. But you presented it as if it were a direct quote. Your quote/post is complete fiction.

Then you go on to criticize coaching and players. Fran recruited and coaches a Top 10 team. This group of players includes the National POY and plays at a Top 10 level...not voted on by Hawkeye fans rather people that could care less if Iowa wins.

What will really suck is if we play our guts out and ten times better at Illinois and still lose, which is possible.

This is not a forgiving league.

We will see how this team responds. Wisconsin recovered from its putrid effort at Michigan with two solid wins. Michigan bounced back from Minnesota. Indiana had a week to stew over a bad home loss to Purdue.

We got up nine in the second half and perhaps thought Indiana would fold, like Maryland and Northwestern did.

Indiana didn't. You could feel it just watching on TV. That game felt over when that freshman hit the trey from the corner to go up five.

There was still plenty of time left, but the game felt over. Look at the comments from the game thread.
Fortunately we’ve only had to see how this team responds to a loss twice. And they’re 2 for 2. And losing at Illinois while playing well is certainly possible but doesn’t mean the team didn’t respond well IMO.

Last edited:

Garza was a member of a putrid 2018 team who's effort was as bad as their record.

No way is he going to let a team that he's leading sink to that level. Even on one night. If others aren't willing to match his work ethic, that's on them and they can trade their scholarships for a soup kitchen line.

That said, I don't think this team has a weak mentality. They just got a little full of themselves, thought they could simply trade baskets the rest of the night, and call it good.

WRONG! And it always will be. But I don't see the slightest inkling of dissension on this team. People simply have fresh memories of previous February fades, some of which were marked by dissension.

I also think some posters are laying in the weeds just willing for it to happen just so they can say they told us so. One poster even started the requisite and obligatory "Why Can't We Ever Have Nice Things" thread.

We will still be in the Top Ten on Monday. Tnat seems like a pretty nice thing to me. But like I've said before, I think some people have serious issues when it comes to enjoyng watching a good team, and that's on them. I know I didn't lose any sleep after Thursday's loss.

Let Fran go sleepless. That's whats he's paid to do.

Last edited:
Garza was a member of a putrid 2018 team who's effort was as bad as their record.

No way is he going to let a team that he's leading sink to that level. Even on one night. If others aren't willing to match his work ethic, that's on them and they can trade their scholarships for a soup kitchen line.

That said, I don't think this team has a weak mentality. They just got a little full of themselves, thought they could simply trade baskets the rest of the night, and call it good.

WRONG! And it always will be. But I don't see the slightest inkling of dissension on this team. People simply have fresh memories of previous February fades, some of which were marked by dissension.

I also think some posters are laying in the weeds just willing for it to happen just so they can say they told us so. One poster even started the requisite and obligatory "Why Can't We Ever Have Nice Things" thread.

We will still be in the Top Ten on Monday. Tnat seems like a pretty nice thing to me. But like I've said before, I think some people have serious issues when it comes to enjoyng watching a good team, and that's on them. I know I didn't lose any sleep after Thursday's loss.

Let Fran go sleepless. That's whats he's paid to do.
Just to piggyback your comment on “enjoying watching a good team.” Fran’s previously had teams ranked in the Top 10. But it’s hard for me to believe any objective fan can’t see this team is special

We get to watch a team that wins the vast majority of their games. When they have a bad game playing high level competition they’re still in the game...despite poor play, injuries, etc. When was the last time the best player in the country played for Iowa? When will it happen again? And he’s that good because he worked his tail off.

The season is half over. I’m going to enjoy every minute of it and not take it for granted. Teams like this one don’t come along very often. And a player this good far less often.

Go away. You are irrelevant.

Just to piggyback your comment on “enjoying watching a good team.” Fran’s previously had teams ranked in the Top 10. But it’s hard for me to believe any objective fan can’t see this team is special

We get to watch a team that wins the vast majority of their games. When they have a bad game playing high level competition they’re still in the game...despite poor play, injuries, etc. When was the last time the best player in the country played for Iowa? When will it happen again? And he’s that good because he worked his tail off.

The season is half over. I’m going to enjoy every minute of it and not take it for granted. Teams like this one don’t come along very often. And a player this good far less often.
Hell, we have been ranked top three in the nation in scoring, #1 in KenPom adjusted offensive efficiency, and people STILL can't recognize how important Connor is in making this happen, because he's the coaches kid and is not a big time scorer. There was another uproar over Connor after Thursday's loss.

As for KenPom, there are posters, and former posters, who say they ignore it. Until we have a bad defensive game. Then they list KenPom chapter and verse like its the Dead Sea Scrolls or something.

I have no issues with Negative Nancies when its warranted. But when its an obvious one sided troll job I call them on it. If that sounds sanctimonious then so be it. I've had posters tell each other to "be careful what you post around here, Northside will admonish you."

If its stupid Pablum, like another rip job on Connor, then yes I will!

While one wouldn't think it was necessary considering the strength of the BT this was a wake up call for both players and fans. I for one had ZERO concerns we were going to lose this game and was looking right past Indiana. Apparently so was most of the team.

Hats off to Indiana they played a great game and beat a better team. Let's hope it's the last time the Hawks make this mistake this season. We need to remember the Hawks are not used to being in the position they are in and need to learn how to handle it. I have a feeling MI is going to lay a similar egg soon and lose a game they have no business losing. It's pretty rare in BB to sustain playing at a high level every nite out, and if you don't in the BT you will lose.

While one wouldn't think it was necessary considering the strength of the BT this was a wake up call for both players and fans. I for one had ZERO concerns we were going to lose this game and was looking right past Indiana. Apparently so was most of the team.

Hats off to Indiana they played a great game and beat a better team. Let's hope it's the last time the Hawks make this mistake this season. We need to remember the Hawks are not used to being in the position they are in and need to learn how to handle it. I have a feeling MI is going to lay a similar egg soon and lose a game they have no business losing. It's pretty rare in BB to sustain playing at a high level every nite out, and if you don't in the BT you will lose.
We can see how Indiana's defense effectively doubled on Luka with great success and so can every other coach in the league. I would suspect that that game film will be the most viewed in the league now.
My hope is that Fran THROUGHLY addresses this in practice and will not allow this to happen again going forward.

Teams have been doubling Luka for two years. I would guess Fran and his staff have spent countless hours addressing that strategy. Indiana apparently just did it better this time.

Teams have been doubling Luka for two years. I would guess Fran and his staff have spent countless hours addressing that strategy. Indiana apparently just did it better this time.
They absolutely did!

We can see how Indiana's defense effectively doubled on Luka with great success and so can every other coach in the league. I would suspect that that game film will be the most viewed in the league now.
My hope is that Fran THROUGHLY addresses this in practice and will not allow this to happen again going forward.
Indiana didn’t do anything special with Garza. He got his. We couldn’t make perimeter shots. That’s it.

Iowa had plenty of good looks for shots, did not fall. Luka will get his. Who else needs to step up and I'm talking both ends. I get sick and tired of watching poor defense, poor rebounding and poor ball movement, and having to rely on 1 person to bail you out. We seem to be 1,2, or even 3 steps behind. Any word on CJF? That's going to hurt if he's out.

Latest posts