Bohnenkamp: An Early Look at '21 Iowa Football Season

I am weirdly confident in Iowa for those first two huge game. Yes, Indiana had a special year last year, but they did so in a weird year. I will believe that Indiana is a contender when I see them go through a gauntlet with hostile away crowds. I think they could be a one-hit wonder. And, while the talent level is clearly up, I think the first real crowd in two seasons is going to significantly favor the home team. I think Iowa wins at home and looks good doing so.

Then we go to the big top with a lot of confidence and having played a legit opponent to set our base. I think Iowa will be loose and play well. The pressure is all on the Clowns I expect a tight game, but I think Iowa has a real chance at the upset. Winning the Indiana game gives the luxury of playing with house money to a certain extent. I could see Brian calling his one creative game of the year for this game.

The schedule is interesting that Iowa plays all its non-division foes first, then closes the season against 6 straight west division foes starting with Purdue on Oct 16. So even if Iowa starts off slow they can still win the division by finishing strong and winning their last 6 games.

Unlike last year, where they lost their first 2 games and won their last 6 games but still lost the division because their first 2 losses were to division foes Purdue and NW.

The schedule is interesting that Iowa plays all its non-division foes first, then closes the season against 6 straight west division foes starting with Purdue on Oct 16. So even if Iowa starts off slow they can still win the division by finishing strong and winning their last 6 games.

Unlike last year, where they lost their first 2 games and won their last 6 games but still lost the division because their first 2 losses were to division foes Purdue and NW.
Is the division title decided by division games only? I thought it was the overall league record. Correct me if I am wrong....

So the early conference games count essentially as much as the division head-to-head games. I'm not a big fan of starting the season with a conference game but it is what it is.

This is not a KFz-friendly schedule. He likes to start slow and build...no such luxury this year.

9-3/8-4

I will stick with that prediction. As of now, Iowa is the favorite in 10 of their 12 games. It is Iowa football so we know there is at least one of those favorable matchups that will end in a frustrating loss.

Is the division title decided by division games only? I thought it was the overall league record. Correct me if I am wrong....
True it is all conference games but there has never been a case where a team has gone 6-0 in its division and not won its division.

The only way its possible for a team to go 6-0 in its division is if it finishes 7-2 in conference while another team its division goes 8-1.

Or If it finishes 6-3 while another team in the division goes 7-2.

But let's consider the odds of that happening. It has happened once where Wisconsin went 6-0 in its division but 7-2 in conference. So that has happened once. But at the same that happens, somebody else in the division would need to go 8-1 in conference. I am sorry but the odds of that happening all the same year, it may happen once in a hundred years.

So for all extents and purposes if a teams goes 6-0 in its own division, they will win their division.

9-3/8-4

I will stick with that prediction. As of now, Iowa is the favorite in 10 of their 12 games. It is Iowa football so we know there is at least one of those favorable matchups that will end in a frustrating loss.

9-3...a pretty good season for Iowa, we'll take it but we should/could have won a couple of those close ones.

9-3 for ISU..."We're world beaters! Best season ever!!!"

I don't have the stats to back this up but Iowa in the past has not done well against top notch teams early in the season, now two back to back. Put all my eggs on beating Indy. Beating State would be great but not necessary. Necessary? No, but it's sterile and I like the flavor! Words to live by from Patch.

9-3...a pretty good season for Iowa, we'll take it but we should/could have won a couple of those close ones.

Exactly. The two teams had the same winning percentage last year. The reactions to the seasons weren't quite the same.

9-3/8-4

And win one that were not supposed to so it all evens out.

I don't know, man. It feels like if this year's team wins less than 10 games a good chunk of their fanbase will be disappointed.

Btw, not sure if you gamble or not. But many places have the ISU over/under win total at 9.5. You want to make some easy money take the under.;)

And win one that were not supposed to so it all evens out.

So based on what you just stated....are your Clones more likely to be in the Playoff or end up 8-4?

Hey in fairness though, ISU did beat a 4 win team last year to get their biggest bowl win in history. Cut em some slack!

I don't have the stats to back this up but Iowa in the past has not done well against top notch teams early in the season, now two back to back. Put all my eggs on beating Indy. Beating State would be great but not necessary. Necessary? No, but it's sterile and I like the taste! Words to live by from Patch.
FIFY. Love the quote though :)

Latest posts