Bohnenkamp: 5 Observations from Iowa's Loss at Wisconsin

Rebounding and defense. Were the predicted weaknesses coming into the year and it was correct and it's not changing.

Rebracca doesn't bring anything to the table inside really. I mean it was tough to have much of an expectation for him coming in but he's not done much. He isn't a relentless rebounder or defender. We got the 1 Euro guy that size that can't really shoot outside 10 feet either. Not bashing the guy just is what he is. I expect the other 2 bigs to get more mins going forward. They can't do much less

Hawks have 1 solid player that consistently brings scoring, some defense and rebounding into every game. After that it's a crapshoot what you are going to get from everyone else. Went to the Maryland game and Joe T turned in a solid 2nd half. Last night he looked like a different player. Against Wisky last night, anyone other than Keegan had a rough night. Ulis, Perkins, Rebraca, C Mac collectively 53 minutes played....total 4 points. Ouch

Hawks have 1 solid player that consistently brings scoring, some defense and rebounding into every game. After that it's a crapshoot what you are going to get from everyone else. Went to the Maryland game and Joe T turned in a solid 2nd half. Last night he looked like a different player. Against Wisky last night, anyone other than Keegan had a rough night. Ulis, Perkins, Rebraca, C Mac collectively 53 minutes played....total 4 points. Ouch
Yeah if Ulis and Perkins aren't defending well (nobody pretty much was last night) then they need to provide some O and they did neither. Cmac never provides much O in fact we hope he doesn't shoot. Rebraca has little offensive game either. To his defense though he's the newbie trying to figure out what his role even is yet. But he can't shoot outside or hit FTs very well. I wish he could be more aggressive defensively and rebound better but since he's not I think his mins should get spread out to some other guys more...

We knew darn well that this team would have nights like this. We guessed they would also look pretty darn good at times, like Virginia, and even Purdue and Illinois in losses.
This will be a year of frustration.

My number one concern besides rebounding is what is going on between JBo and his teammates, and I mean especially Keegan. I saw on several occasions Keegan draw the triple team and JBo spotting up for the three and Keegan take an off balance or forced shot instead. Other players are passing up JBo to pass to less effective shooters. Look, I wasn't thrilled to have JBo return but if he did I assumed it was with the blessing of the team. It doesn't look that way to me. He was much better with the back-ups and seemed to find his form but for this team to reach the heights it wants to reach JBo has to be a primary option when Keegan faces double teams. No one else on the team can hit the shots JBo can. When he does catch the ball he has been hesitant, passing up shots to pass to less competent shooters. If JBo remains a starter it's imperative he get his swagger back or he might as well not have played this year. Why isn't the team looking for him?

My number one concern besides rebounding is what is going on between JBo and his teammates, and I mean especially Keegan. I saw on several occasions Keegan draw the triple team and JBo spotting up for the three and Keegan take an off balance or forced shot instead. Other players are passing up JBo to pass to less effective shooters. Look, I wasn't thrilled to have JBo return but if he did I assumed it was with the blessing of the team. It doesn't look that way to me. He was much better with the back-ups and seemed to find his form but for this team to reach the heights it wants to reach JBo has to be a primary option when Keegan faces double teams. No one else on the team can hit the shots JBo can. When he does catch the ball he has been hesitant, passing up shots to pass to less competent shooters. If JBo remains a starter it's imperative he get his swagger back or he might as well not have played this year. Why isn't the team looking for him?
Interesting observation. Never caught that one. I am pretty confident that will become a coaching point.

Hmm, have to watch for that a bit. It is like he has become option 5, but only if there is no one else to get the ball to. He doesn't appear to be working as hard to get open, maybe that is why?

Hope there is nothing to it. He has an important role to play and we need him. PM or someone did comment how he draws constant D from one of the best defenders opening things up for others, so that may be more of what the deal is.

This has been going on the entire season

There are a lot of games that Jordan is open on the wings very early in the possession

And JoeT just dribbles to the other side of the court allowing Jordan to be covered

Gotta find a way to get him the ball

Keegan does force the issue at times when double and triple covered

I would like to see Ogy and Riley in sooner when we are being slaughtered on the boards

Certainly could help, especially when we are getting no scoring at their position

Looks like an up and down season, but I will watch every game

I bought into that this team would be much better defensively than last year's team and currently they are not. Offensive efficiency in the top 10, defensive efficiency in the 150's gets Iowa where?

There are a lot of games that Jordan is open on the wings very early in the possession

And JoeT just dribbles to the other side of the court allowing Jordan to be covered

I would like to see Ogy and Riley in sooner when we are being slaughtered on the boards

Certainly could help, especially when we are getting no scoring at their position

Me, too

I'm just saying it was nice early on that JBo was trying to set up his young teammates and trying to let Keegan be the man, but now is the time he needs to be a bit selfish and do some shot hunting, especially when Keegan is being covered. The team needs to be looking for him and he needs to let it fly. Everyone on the team has to realize that it's beneficial to all especially Keegan for teams to fear JBo again. Don't pass or dribble, just shoot, but it requires other guys making the pass and lookng for him. A couple of screens wouldn't hurt either.

Couldn't agree more with this... I mean Rebraca isn't bringing much to the table and we stink at rebounding with the small lineup in there with the Murrays and PM on the floor. I'd rather give either of those 2 bigs some real mins instead of a few garbage time ones here and there. Let's see what they can do. Hope Ogys ankle isn't too bad

One of my colleagues has a son who works for Iowa sports in an admin role, working closely with basketball.

He’s said multiple times—and I’ve seen it myself in an interesting weekend at Okoboji this summer—that Bohannon is not popular with his teammates.

What you see and hear in interviews is at least partly fake niceties.

One of my colleagues has a son who works for Iowa sports in an admin role, working closely with basketball.

He’s said multiple times—and I’ve seen it myself in an interesting weekend at Okoboji this summer—that Bohannon is not popular with his teammates.

What you see and hear in interviews is at least partly fake niceties.
It makes you wonder... He really isn't hunting shots or having plays ran for him hardly at all. Which seemed like what Fran wanted to do with moving him to the 2. Granted just him being out there does make the defense account for him. But it'd sure be nice to have him hunting shots since he's capable.

I couldn't care less if he's as popular with the guys as say Nick Baer was. But if any beefs bleed over onto the floor then it's a problem. Not every team is tight knit and as nice of a thing as that is to have it's not necessarily needed.

The McCaffery boys seem to be the leaders and have a pulse on the team. PM and JT seem to be pretty tight. I love JTs personality. He's a tough SOB. Plays hard all the time yet doesn't let opponents or a bad play get in his head. Just wish he had more of a game overall. But love the guy.

The Murray boys I can't tell if they talk at all they seem pretty stoic out there. They seem to just play and let that do their talking. Which is fine too. I prefer a little swag out there and it'd be nice if Keegan let the opponents know who's the man out there sometimes but he is who he is

Latest posts