BOB STOOPS FOR AD FTW LET'S ROLL

Fryowa

Administrator
$10M up front, house bigger than Kirk's, and a Lambo.

Kurt retires, Bobby temporarily takes over HC a la Alvarez, installs LeVar (fellow Hayden Fry man) as OC, and goes out to get the best coaching staff north of the frost line. 3 years later retires to full time AD and LeVar gets handed the keys.

It's time to stop locking up these college emperors with eight, ten, twelve year contracts. This is the NIL era, not the second half of the twentieth century where coaches stayed for generations and end up wagging the dog.

Giving them the keys to the shitter for the tenures of half a dozen US presidents opens the door to complaints of everything from fiefdom to nepotism, warranted or not.

I think Kirk and Fran are solid enough at their jobs to get "grandfathered in" under the new "boss", but no more five, six, seven year contract extensions. You don't even have to lock them up for four years anymore because the rate of athletes staying four years will decline rapidly until NIL is regulated. Recruiting competition can't use that for leverage anymore.

Right now the NIL is like the wild west, with no sheriff in town. Hire an AD who embraces it.

This is a Top 20 AD job. Iowa pays well enough, there is friendly local press, expectations are Iowa nice, and we have a Big10 budget. Oh and the football, MBB, WBB, Baseball and Wrestling programs are all on very, very solid footing. There are few schools that can boast all that.

Not saying Iowa can land anyone they want, but there will be no shortage of highly qualified candidates who would leave a lesser gig to AD at Iowa. I just hope it is someone young, creative, and ready to build something in a new era.

It's time to stop locking up these college emperors with eight, ten, twelve year contracts. This is the NIL era, not the second half of the twentieth century where coaches stayed for generations and end up wagging the dog.

Giving them the keys to the shitter for the tenures of half a dozen US presidents opens the door to complaints of everything from fiefdom to nepotism, warranted or not.

I think Kirk and Fran are solid enough at their jobs to get "grandfathered in" under the new "boss", but no more five, six, seven year contract extensions. You don't even have to lock them up for four years anymore because the rate of athletes staying four years will decline rapidly until NIL is regulated. Recruiting competition can't use that for leverage anymore.

Right now the NIL is like the wild west, with no sheriff in town. Hire an AD who embraces it.

:cool:

Last edited:

:cool:
Well, let's certainly not hire an old fart who makes public statements about reigning in NIL that are blatantly in violation of antitrust laws. That's a good start.

I agree with the sentiment. Whether I like it or not, NIL has no rules or regulations beyond market forces on any near term horizon. Find somebody who gets that and will play the game to win.

I’m seeing lots of rumors in social media and forum land, some that sound legit, that it’s going to be Sharta’s current second-in-command, Beth Goetz.

Yawn.

From what I am reading, Barta and Heinrichs(head of the SWARM) didn't have a really good relationship. I will go ahead and state the obvious, that will have to change moving forward with the new AD.

Excellent point as the main excuse for “extensions” was to help with recruiting players on having a stable coaching staff sticking around during their time at Iowa, but with the NIL that all goes out the window. May the sports programs with the deepest pockets win!

The NIL could mean the end of the captain’s reign also as this slow methodical ultra conservative offensive mindset will never fly with getting competitive players to compete with other programs with the NIL. Yes we got a few players this year but the huge question is does our head coach and offensive coordinator know what to do with them? I certainly hope so, but can you make a silk purse out of a sows ear? Oink, oink, or should I say snort, snort?

90% chance that it's Goetz. Bringing her in to the fold when they did - for just enough time to aclimate - is the tell.

The administration possibly will interview a few other candidates to give the appearance of a process, but the ink on the contract more than likely is already dry.

I can't envision Stoops in that role. He strikes me as a big ego type that perhaps wouldn't mind overseeing athletic operations, but my guess is he would detest the fund-raising and pandering aspects of the job.

Goetz started a NIL at Ball State before the pandemic, she I trust will be very NIL friendly, frankly that's why I believe Barta is out.

90% chance that it's Goetz. Bringing her in to the fold when they did - for just enough time to aclimate - is the tell.

The administration possibly will interview a few other candidates to give the appearance of a process, but the ink on the contract more than likely is already dry.

I can't envision Stoops in that role. He strikes me as a big ego type that perhaps wouldn't mind overseeing athletic operations, but my guess is he would detest the fund-raising and pandering aspects of the job.
Goetz started a NIL at Ball State before the pandemic, she I trust will be very NIL friendly, frankly that's why I believe Barta is out.
My post was in jest obviously, but no matter who Iowa hires, we all know that he or she will completely F it up.

My post was in jest obviously, but no matter who Iowa hires, we all know that he or she will completely F it up.

Actually, the more I think about it the more I like the idea.

Bobby knows what it takes to win and the type of coaching philosophy needed. Maybe jesting about temporarily filling in, but as the AD I can see that. Stoops at one point had that hawkeye morality and integrity blood coursing though his veins. Now with the NIL you can legally go buy the players you need, ethics be damned. He has been to the top of the mountain and knows what's there and how to get there. I like that thought. Would he even be interested who knows. He wouldn't need the money and would be doing it just out of pride and loyalty to the fox.

I can visualize old Hayden sitting around in heaven with the coaching greats last fall wanting to go punch Brian in the face for his idiotic offense and Woody volunteering to go do it for him because he had experience. I know, I know, Woody in Heaven???

I’m seeing lots of rumors in social media and forum land, some that sound legit, that it’s going to be Sharta’s current second-in-command, Beth Goetz.

Yawn.
What makes you say that? From what I've read, sounds like Goetz might be a pretty dynamic hire and exactly what Iowa needs. It also sounds like she was willing to hold off on other jobs and took this lateral move because Iowa AD is the job she wants. I'd be pretty excited by the prospects of a Goetz-Woods pairing moving forward. Ideally that also changes the dynamic within the athletic department, and perhaps we get back to hiring a black basketball coach(es) when Lisa and Fran step down. That's long overdue, in my opinion.

Hopefully it will be someone that show excitement and willing to put mediocrity to bed! But our luck will be a Ferentz kid....

Latest posts