Bob Sanders will never again play in NFL

Kindabigdeal

According to Will Carroll who is some NFL injury "expert", a.k.a. blogger. I went to a "tweet up" with Peter King and other NFL media types he invited here in Indy Friday night.

I asked what was going to happen next year with Sanders and Melvin Bullitt (his replacement on the Colts). King let Carroll handle the question and then was going to add something at the end but then he was interrupted and never got back to it.

Anyway, Carroll said the surgery Sanders had this season was to literally re-attach his arm. Further, the aniestestiologist has to have accurate height and weight to determine proper dosage so they measured Sanders. He has shrunk 1 1/2 inches since the combine. Carroll said this was due to the all the impacts. That seems crazy. However, Carroll said the average NFL player shrinks 2 inches over the span of their entire career. If that's the case, Sanders doesn't seem so bad but I guess he's only played about 2 seasons worth of games.

I hope it's not true and I have not heard anything like that out here. However, the Colts are very secretive about injuries.

He has shrunk 1 1/2 inches since the combine. Carroll said this was due to the all the impacts. That seems crazy. However, Carroll said the average NFL player shrinks 2 inches over the span of their entire career. .

If true that is the scariest thing I have ever read...

I read somewhere that someone affiliated with this site or one of the other ones was on the sidelines at a Colts game and Bob wasnt around. The poster asked Dallas Clark where Bob was and Dallas replied, "its top secret."

dont injured players who can walk usually attend the games?

When Bob was a soph at Iowa I wrote that he wouldn't make it in the NFL, not because he was not good enough, but because he played with no regard for his own well being. I guess at his size, he had to do that to make an impact...boy did he...and he made it in the league long enough to get the coveted second contract. He got $20 mil guaranteed, on top of what he made his first four years in the league...so good for him

But it would not be surprising if he never played again...the guy was a freaking animal. I have never seen anything like him.

How do you shrink 2 inches(save the jokes) without having something amputated? Lose bone density? Lose muscle mass? I thought all that type of stuff happened when your like 80.

Someone told me that the Colts were looking to get rid of Sanders because he is so injury proned. And that the Steelers had some interest in him playing opposite of Polamalu. Ryan Clark is a FA, and with a healthy Polamalu, Sanders could sit back and just tee-off on people, thats basically all Ryan Clark did. Thats what someone told me anyway, still trying to substantiate it with some facts/evidence that this is even a legit rumor.

How do you shrink 2 inches(save the jokes) without having something amputated? Lose bone density? Lose muscle mass? I thought all that type of stuff happened when your like 80.

Someone told me that the Colts were looking to get rid of Sanders because he is so injury proned. And that the Steelers had some interest in him playing opposite of Polamalu. Ryan Clark is a FA, and with a healthy Polamalu, Sanders could sit back and just tee-off on people, thats basically all Ryan Clark did. Thats what someone told me anyway, still trying to substantiate it with some facts/evidence that this is even a legit rumor.

Well teeing off on people is what got him in this predicament to begin with. But, if this is true, and it happens......wow. Polamalu and Sanders at safety? That's downright scary. Would that qualify as the best safety tandem in NFL history?

The thread title was a direct quote from this Will Carroll guy.

I agree with Jon, Sanders brings it at 150% but his body is just too small to withstand the impacts he delivers. It's sad but just the way things are. The NFL is what have you done for me lately kind of business. I could easily see the Colts cutting or trading Sanders. He is a fan favorite here in town, deservedly so, but even that has dimmed because he has been out so much.

I made that roster move in Madden a couple years ago. It would be a dream for this Steelers fan.

That does sound pretty extreme. Allthough even a non-football player can vary as much as 1/2 inch in height depending on time of day the measurement is taken and other enviromental variables. Your spine has a lot of flex.

If what's happened to Bob is common for football players, it gives you some idea of the kind of impact these guys take. It literally compresses their spine over time.

The thread title was a direct quote from this Will Carroll guy.

I agree with Jon, Sanders brings it at 150% but his body is just too small to withstand the impacts he delivers. It's sad but just the way things are. The NFL is what have you done for me lately kind of business. I could easily see the Colts cutting or trading Sanders. He is a fan favorite here in town, deservedly so, but even that has dimmed because he has been out so much.

Sanders contract is up. He's a free agent

When Bob was a soph at Iowa I wrote that he wouldn't make it in the NFL, not because he was not good enough, but because he played with no regard for his own well being. I guess at his size, he had to do that to make an impact...boy did he...and he made it in the league long enough to get the coveted second contract. He got $20 mil guaranteed, on top of what he made his first four years in the league...so good for him

But it would not be surprising if he never played again...the guy was a freaking animal. I have never seen anything like him.

Even more impressive, let's not forget he was the NFL defensive player of the year. I, as well, could see him not playing again. He sure made a name for himself in a very short period of time in the league. Good luck to Bob in the future if this is indeed true.

I shrunk about an inch after I injured my back. Ruptured S1, herniated L4 & L5. Went from 5'10" to 5'9" pretty quickly. Doc said he'd never seen anyone rupture their S1 disk. Guess I'm just special...

Can't imagine what compressing your spine X number of times per game would do to your height.

I shrunk about an inch after I injured my back. Ruptured S1, herniated L4 & L5. Went from 5'10" to 5'9" pretty quickly. Doc said he'd never seen anyone rupture their S1 disk. Guess I'm just special...

Can't imagine what compressing your spine X number of times per game would do to your height.

I must have started playing f-ball when I was 3. If I never played football, I know I would be 6'5" & athletic as hell!

The bottom disc in the spine is the L5-S1, and is the most common area of herniation.

The bottom disc in the spine is the L5-S1, and is the most common area of herniation.

Herniation yes...rupturing no. I have no disc there anymore. And S1 and L5 are separate discs according to the neurologist and neurosurgeon I had to go see. The L5 disc is above the L5 vertabrae. The S1 disc is below it.

I heard Bob say once that his goal EVERY play was to make himself hurt by the impact of his hit. The guy could be one of the biggest hitters of all time. It would be a shame for the NFL to not have a guy like Sanders.

you don't need an exact height to give anesthesia. they likely would just ask him his height and weight. if they measured his height, it wouldn't be an attempt to be exact and certainly less exact than what the colts do. i don't doubt he shrunk and don't doubt he had major surgery, but i guarantee that you don't need exact measurements, especially height, or even that close to give the proper anesthesia.

Latest posts