Bob Diaco going to ND w Kelly

omahawk80

"As expected, Brian Kelly has named two former Cincinnati assistants as his offensive and defensive coordinators on his first Notre Dame staff.

Bob Diaco, who was the Bearcats' defensive coordinator this past season, will hold the same job for the Irish."

College Football Nation Blog - ESPN

...so the solution to fixing your ****** defense(when he was at Cinci) is changing nothing? Notre Dame will have a new head coach in 4 or 5 years. Bad head coaching hire, they needed someone defensive minded.

Last edited:
This past year was Diaco's first as D coordinator at Cincy and he installed a new defense while replacing 10 seniors....kind of hard to judge him based on 1 yr. Thought Hawkeyenation might be happy for a former Hawk.

I am very excited by this news. The director of football operations is a Wartburg grad and grew up a huge Hawk fan. I told him Notre Dame finally figured out how to win.....hire ex Hawks.

Bobby Diaco was the first Hawk player I really liked as a kid. I would always walk around with my best impression of Beavis (when he transformed into Cornholio) saying "DIACOOOOOOO DIACOOOOOO".

Yeah, the chicks were all over that in 7th grade, why do you ask?

Received this in an email from a Notre Dame fan from Diaco's presser:

Everyone in the organization felt loved by Coach Fry. The custodians, the administrative assistants, the coaches, the players. You felt like you had an intimate relationship with Coach Fry. Coach not only knew my immediate family, but he knew my extended family. If my uncle showed up to practice one day and then showed up again 18 months later, Coach would remember my uncle’s first name. The love that I felt from Coach Fry propelled me to want to impact young men in that same fashion, and he has really shaped a major portion of my interaction with players. And that’s a developmental paradigm where you take a young man and grow him into a man culturally, spiritually, intellectually, physically, etc. Then the rest of the stuff on the field takes care of itself. You never believed that Hayden Fry would compromise you for some sort of end result, and on that basis you’d go the extra mile. He called that the extra heartbeat. He always got my extra heartbeat and he always will. I consider him to be a father away from my own father. Learning how to treat young men and learning a perspective on what is really important as it relates to football and young men are what I took from him.

He is very excited to have him. I am not sure if they have the personell to run the 3-4 yet but I think Diaco will be a good fit for them.

If Kelly implements his offense and defense at ND they'll roll. We know he can X and O. He's proven that. His program is predicated on offense and often the offense covers for the defense.

The only real question here is how well does Kelly handle the overall transition to ND as a whole. If he can handle the transition of running the show at a historic, prestigious university...he's going to be successful. It's not so much about scheme or X's and O's. He can do that. He's going to get the recruits. Can he handle the stage at ND...and being on the stage with other big programs. That's where Weis failed more than any kind of X and O debacle.

His defenses have pretty much been in the top 25 ranked defenses since he arrived. Which is plenty sufficient for an offense that consistently puts up points. Even had he stayed at Cincy the criticism of his defense is really not warranted.

Good for Bobby unfortunately for him the head coach he works for now in Brian Kelly represent few of the values Hayden Fry, at least IMO.

Bobby Diaco was the first Hawk player I really liked as a kid.

Bobby was pretty good but really didn't have the tools, specifically speed for major college football. That "extra heartbeat" got him farther than his physical skills did.

Latest posts