Bo Pelini over Kirk Ferentz?

Kirk Ferentz took over a program that finished in the top 25, 10 times out of 20 years. Kirk Ferentz took over a program that steamrolled bad teams like ISU and never, ever would have thought about losing to ISU or Western Michigan or Central Michigan.

And what does Nick Saban have anything to do with Bo Pelini and Kirk Ferentz and who is the better coach??

Bo Pelini took over a mess of a situation left behind by Bill Callahan. Nebraska hasn't won a national title in 17 years. You call that Blue Blood Program? Ancient History. You need to pay better attention kid. Get back to class.

What are you talking about? Ferentz took over a team that just got their ***** kicked by ISU at home

There are a number of coaches out there that win games. That doesn't mean they're good coaches.

So what the heck does make a good coach then? I guess Nick Saban is a terrible coach because he wins national championships. He is real bad because he wins all of the time.

Paul Rhoads must be a great coach because he goes 2-10 after a 3-9 season. Isn't winning/losing how a coach is ultimately defined? Isn't that why you play the game.

Let me guess, you just want a nice guy on the sidelines. Even if you lose every game, he is a great coach. This post is beyond laughable.

What are you talking about? Ferentz took over a team that just got their ***** kicked by ISU at home

HAHA...good one buddy. You've got to be an ISU TROLL. What happened the previous 15 years prior? Kirk Ferentz has a losing record to the worst program in college football history over 16 years. Only at Iowa, can you keep your job with that type of a record against losing teams. Hayden lost once every blue moon to a bad team. Kirk does it on an annual basis as evidence by his record the past 8 years against teams we are double digit favorites against.

So what the heck does make a good coach then? I guess Nick Saban is a terrible coach because he wins national championships. He is real bad because he wins all of the time.

Paul Rhoads must be a great coach because he goes 2-10 after a 3-9 season. Isn't winning/losing how a coach is ultimately defined? Isn't that why you play the game.

Let me guess, you just want a nice guy on the sidelines. Even if you lose every game, he is a great coach. This post is beyond laughable.

I think your perception that any coach that can win being a great coach is laughable. And loved the assumption that I just want a nice guy on the sidelines.

There are a number of things other than wins and losses that go into being a good coach. Some guys are great at recruiting top tier players that win games but never really develop or reach their potential over time. Some guys are great X's and O's but lack the ability to teach technique and vice versa. Some head coaches are great at surrounding themselves with assistants that know how to win.

I could go on and on all day, but the bottom line is wins are a byproduct of a number of other factors. Don't kid yourself thinking just because a guy is winning games he's a good coach. Your absolutely right that there's a reason games are played. There are bad coaches that have great success, but there are also great coaches that have had some terrible stretches, so don't simply let wins and losses cloud your judgement.

FYI my initial post had nothing to do with KF.

Edit: A perfect example Brady Hoke went 11-2 his first year at Michigan. Look where things went from there. Ton of wins based on the talent he took over and then descended quickly. Ton of wins that first year, but not what I'd call one of the better coaches in Michigan history.

Last edited:
That is a dumb comparison. KF had to build a program at a non Blue Blood school from shat. Pelini walked into a ready made job, at a traditional power Blue Blood program.

Nick Saban had a .580 winning % at Michigan St., and low and behold that winning % jumped at LSU, and jumped again at Bama.

What about the past 5 seasons; since the signing of THE CONTRACT? I wouldn't take Pelini over kfootball, but at this point, I wouldn't kfootball either.

HAHA...good one buddy. You've got to be an ISU TROLL. What happened the previous 15 years prior? Kirk Ferentz has a losing record to the worst program in college football history over 16 years. Only at Iowa, can you keep your job with that type of a record against losing teams. Hayden lost once every blue moon to a bad team. Kirk does it on an annual basis as evidence by his record the past 8 years against teams we are double digit favorites against.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Iowa lost to Iowa State in 1998 27-9 (Iowa State was a power at 3-8 that year). And Hayden left the cupboard bare through no fault of his own. He was not offered contract extensions and because of that he lost out on every quality recruit for the previous three years.

Yes, Hayden had a good run against ISU. But the series was restarted in 1977. Hayden started as Iowa's football coach in 1979, and in his first four games against Iowa State he was 1-4. How sad that people don't remember their history: in the '70s Iowa State went to four bowl games and Iowa went to none. In that decade, Iowa's record was 30-77-2 (including wearing the collar in 1973, ugh) and Iowa State's record was 57-56-1.

None of this changes the fact that I'm a Hawkeye fan more so than a Cyclone fan. I want Iowa State to win every game they play but one... for every season every year. And personally, I'll take a loss to ISU if we go to a bowl game; I'm certain most ISU fans would take a loss to Iowa if it mean they could go to a bowl game. I'd rather beat them, but extending the season and going to a bowl game is a much better option.

Kirk Ferentz took over a program that finished in the top 25, 10 times out of 20 years. Kirk Ferentz took over a program that steamrolled bad teams like ISU and never, ever would have thought about losing to ISU or Western Michigan or Central Michigan.

And what does Nick Saban have anything to do with Bo Pelini and Kirk Ferentz and who is the better coach??

Bo Pelini took over a mess of a situation left behind by Bill Callahan. Nebraska hasn't won a national title in 17 years. You call that Blue Blood Program? Ancient History. You need to pay better attention kid. Get back to class.

You were the dipsh1t that claimed all that mattered was wins, basically implying that a coach should win the same at Michigan St, LSU, Bama, Iowa or Iowa St. Let's just say that if you are truly that stupid and believe that, you aren't worth wasting the time on.

What about the past 5 seasons; since the signing of THE CONTRACT? I wouldn't take Pelini over kfootball, but at this point, I wouldn't kfootball either.

I want someone different as well, but just like you if the question is Pelini or KF, it is KF and an easy decision at that.

Yes.

I want my coach to be passionate about the game. He might be an *** but he will light a fire under the players butts if they are not performing. KF wont even put the best players in

Mack Brown won a lot of games. Was never a good coach. Good assistants and unbelievable talent.

What makes you think Mack Brown was a bad coach? He had like the 5th best winning percentage in his tenure at Texas. Is that bad? He won a national title. Is that bad? Yes. He lost it at the end. Kind of a like a coach that Iowa has right now. 5 straight disappointing seasons in a row.

I think your perception that any coach that can win being a great coach is laughable. And loved the assumption that I just want a nice guy on the sidelines.

There are a number of things other than wins and losses that go into being a good coach. Some guys are great at recruiting top tier players that win games but never really develop or reach their potential over time. Some guys are great X's and O's but lack the ability to teach technique and vice versa. Some head coaches are great at surrounding themselves with assistants that know how to win.

I could go on and on all day, but the bottom line is wins are a byproduct of a number of other factors. Don't kid yourself thinking just because a guy is winning games he's a good coach. Your absolutely right that there's a reason games are played. There are bad coaches that have great success, but there are also great coaches that have had some terrible stretches, so don't simply let wins and losses cloud your judgement.

FYI my initial post had nothing to do with KF.

Edit: A perfect example Brady Hoke went 11-2 his first year at Michigan. Look where things went from there. Ton of wins based on the talent he took over and then descended quickly. Ton of wins that first year, but not what I'd call one of the better coaches in Michigan history.

I am talking about winning over a long period of time. Not just 1 year like Kirk Ferentz has had 1 great year since Tate to Holloway. If you consistently win big over several years, then whether that means you are a great recruiter, good in game coach, hire great assistants, what have you, you are a great "coach". If you win big over several years, then yes. You are a great coach. At the end of the day, coaching is all about winning. Just win baby. Just win. Doesn't matter how you do it, there are many ideas of how to win games. At the end of the day, if you win big over several years, you are a very good coach. Yes. Being a good recruiter helps you win and that would make you a good coach.

What makes you think Mack Brown was a bad coach? He had like the 5th best winning percentage in his tenure at Texas. Is that bad? He won a national title. Is that bad? Yes. He lost it at the end. Kind of a like a coach that Iowa has right now. 5 straight disappointing seasons in a row.

Talent, I mean loaded Uber talent, can do wonders.

He had great assistants for most of his tenure, and about 30 5* recruits at any given time, absolute Elite. A better question is how could he possibly ever have "lost it".

Greg Davis was an OC for their NC. Does that make him a good coach?

Latest posts