Blythe is a Hawk

Geez this class is looking good early. Would love it if he could grow another inch, but regardless this kid looks like an Iowa lineman.

You obviously are not that familiar with Iowa recruiting. In the last five classes Iowa has only had 4 guys total commit this early - and one of them was the coach's son.

CAARHawk -

I agree ... definitely a VERY good start. I think that early recruiting success of last year is setting the pattern for this year. By this time last year, we had exactly the same number of recruits ... and just look at how nice the 2010 recruiting class was!

Quite frankly, the 2011 class could end up being EVEN BETTER! A pretty freaky thing to contemplate!

he had lots of interest and some good offers.

I'm pretty stoked! The group of OL recruits from the 2010 and 2011 classes look to be VERY impressive. I'm already VERY high on Donnal and Scherff ... and the addition of Blythe is great too! I wonder if we'll be able to pull in Walsh and Sterup too?

I would like to see Kouandjio, but I think that is a pipe dream.

I feel like this kid's committment isn't getting the fan fare that it deserves. I think this kid is going to be a beast of a guard. Put him in next to Donnal and Scherff in a few years and it's gonna be good. He had a bunch of great offers, but like he said he was always a Hawkeye. Thought his interview sounded intelligent as well (as far a written interview can go) but wasn't stumbling around questions and sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

I'm pretty stoked! The group of OL recruits from the 2010 and 2011 classes look to be VERY impressive. I'm already VERY high on Donnal and Scherff ... and the addition of Blythe is great too! I wonder if we'll be able to pull in Walsh and Sterup too?

Scherff has great potential and is a great athlete, especially for his size...But....he basically played one year on the OL in high school. Let's not pile expectations on this kid just yet.

Scherff has great potential and is a great athlete, especially for his size...But....he basically played one year on the OL in high school. Let's not pile expectations on this kid just yet.

imported_ankle23 -

I definitely agree that Scherff will require time to develop ... however, he just seems to me to be a kid who is willing to work hard and who has a good bit of "mean" in him. Those are really key ingredients to success on Iowa's OL.

As for Scherff having so little experience on the OL ... that is one of the very factors that leads me to believe that he'll own an advantage over some of the other guys. There aren't many O-linemen out of high school who get well-trained in zone-blocking schemes. As a result, a lot of guys get taught things incorrectly and don't always have very good footwork. In contrast, with Scherff, the coaches won't have to "undo" any such damage ... they get a clean slate. If you observe some of the most successful guys at Iowa, many of them really didn't play much OL in high school. Just look at Gallery, Bulaga, and Reiff ... to name but a few.

Latest posts