Bluder's Bunch

seepig

Hats off to another GOOD season for Lisa Bluder's bunch. Why wasn't the season great? They yet again blew another game making the same mistakes we've seen them make all year. Down 2 with 2+ min left Kach Alexander fires up a needless 3 ball misses. We follow up with a foul on their best FT shooter. Megan Johnson gives up 30 to her counterpart 22 in 2nd half. And at the end of the game 3 bad turnovers. When you hit 13 threes and can't win you didn't deserve it.

She was Burky she got beaten like a redheaded step child by their center and so did Alexander by VanderSloot. Yeah Jedi it is BS that a 6 seed had to play an 11seed on their home court. I don't know what we've done to deserve punishment by the NCAA and Ed "idiot boy" Hightower but it's ridiculous.

i only watched the last 10 minutes, but looked like iowa was not going to get any calls on zags home court. why ncaa does this crap is beyond me. upset my a@#, play on our home court, we beat them.

They were playing on Gonzaga's home court because the school placed a bid to host the first and second rounds and got it.

The RULE in the women's tourney is - if your school is hosting the first/second round games, and you make the tourney you get to play on your home court. It has always been this way, and will continue to be this way because the NCAA want fannies in the seats, not empty arenas. We were not being "punished" by the NCAA, we were a # 6 seed, and sent to Spokane, who was hosting. People seem to forget the number of times Iowa has hosted, including the last time when we were a # 8 seed, and seem to forget in 1993 playing the regional semifinal and regional final on our home floor on the way to the Final Four. If people want this changed on the women's side, they have to follow their teams in the tourney, since they don't it will stay this way. Watch tomorrow when the sites where the host school didn't make the tourney and see how many people are there. I think you'll figure out why they allow teams to play at home in the 1st/2nd rounds.

As for a couple other remarks made here:
Not getting calls - look at the box score:
Iowa 15 fouls, Gonzaga 16 - both teams shot 17 free throws, both made 13. We aren't going to get calls when Alexander falls down anytime someone looks at her.

this Iowa womens team was one of the most inconsistent bball teams I have ever seen imo.

And I feel like part of the problem was lack of size/athleticism in the post....Idk how many times our posts would just get dominated....or out jumped for a rebound or on a shot etc.

Love the job Lisa does period. However, we will never take the big step forward with the kids she recruits. It simply isn't going to happen. We need difference makers and this team does not stack up to the big dogs.

this Iowa womens team was one of the most inconsistent bball teams I have ever seen imo.

And I feel like part of the problem was lack of size/athleticism in the post....Idk how many times our posts would just get dominated....or out jumped for a rebound or on a shot etc.

I think the big thing is that we need another post. I think Johnson is going to be very good, but you look around, and almost all of the best teams have two very good/great post players. When Johnson gets in foul trouble (happens way too often), we tend to stall. Cermak does what she can, and she played a VERY good game today. But she's best as a #3 option down low.

We're pretty good on the perimeter, and that shouldn't change (Sam Logic is a STUD, from what I've read).

Love the job Lisa does period. However, we will never take the big step forward with the kids she recruits. It simply isn't going to happen. We need difference makers and this team does not stack up to the big dogs.

That may be changing. Samantha Logic out of Racine, WI is rated as the 10th best player in this year's senior class. Without knowing much about Bluder's program before 2008, I'd guess that Logic is the best recruit brought in under Bluder.

Samantha Logic 2011 Women's Basketball Recruiting Profile - ESPN

Also, Virginia Johnson of Iowa City High is ranked #62 in this year's class.

Virginia Johnson 2011 Women's Basketball Recruiting Profile - ESPN

Bethany Doolittle looks like more of a developmental prospect down low, but from the sounds of it, the raw talent is there. Just needs to physically mature and get better accustomed to playing against players of similar size and skill.

Bethany Doolittle 2011 Women's Basketball Recruiting Profile - ESPN

Regardless of money and crowds, teams should not have to play on another team's home court in an NCAA tournament...it just is not fair...period.

Playing on Gonzaga's home court was a huge disadvantage, but that's they way the system is. The bigger issue, in my opinion, is the fact that Gonzaga was seeded 11th. Gonzaga deserved a much better seed than an 11. Iowa earned a 6 seed and was forced to play a team that could have been a 6 seed themselves. That is what I think is unfair. And it was unfair to both teams - Gonzaga should have played an easier team than Iowa.

All that aside, it was an incredible game to watch, and I don't watch many women's games. Gonzaga just could not miss a shot in the second half. And when they did miss, they got an offensive board. Their free throw shooting down the stretch was impressive. If Iowa hadn't been so careless with the ball in the first half, they would have put themselves in a much better position to win. I have no idea how they were ahead by 7 at half with all of those turnovers.

Agreed. It's really a pathetic approach for a tournament, giving specific teams the advantage to play not only in their city, but on their own home court. All of these teams are playing on their home courts:

#1 Uconn
#1 Tennessee
#1 Stanford
#4 Ohio State
#6 Penn State
#11 Gonzaga

How many of these teams do you suspect won't win both of their opening round games? Probably none.

Regardless of money and crowds, teams should not have to play on another team's home court in an NCAA tournament...it just is not fair...period.

Playing on Gonzaga's home court was a huge disadvantage, but that's they way the system is. The bigger issue, in my opinion, is the fact that Gonzaga was seeded 11th. Gonzaga deserved a much better seed than an 11. Iowa earned a 6 seed and was forced to play a team that could have been a 6 seed themselves. That is what I think is unfair. And it was unfair to both teams - Gonzaga should have played an easier team than Iowa.

All that aside, it was an incredible game to watch, and I don't watch many women's games. Gonzaga just could not miss a shot in the second half. And when they did miss, they got an offensive board. Their free throw shooting down the stretch was impressive. If Iowa hadn't been so careless with the ball in the first half, they would have put themselves in a much better position to win. I have no idea how they were ahead by 7 at half with all of those turnovers.

Let's compare and you tell me why Gonzaga deserved a # 6 seed.

Gonzaga
RPI - 42
SOS - 157
Gonzaga was 23-1 vs teams with an RPI of 101 or LOWER, including 12-0 vs RPI teams 201 and lower (nearly 1/2 their wins). They had NO wins against teams in the top 50 in the RPI. Of their four wins against teams ranked 50-100, 3 were against the same team. Also, one of their wins was vs a Non D1 team.

Iowa
RPI - 17
SOS - 23
Iowa was 9-8 vs teams in the top 100 RPI, including 3-4 vs top 25, 3-3 vs 26-50 and 3-1 51-100. Iowa was 13-0 vs teams 101 and lower (12-0 vs 101-200 and 1-0 vs 201 and lower).

Gonzaga was seeded where they belong.

Agreed. Having a higher seed playing on a lower seed's court = s-t-u-p-i-d

Yet is was OK when Georgia Tech was a lower seed than us in 2009 and they had to play on our home court? Had Iowa won, they would have played the # 1 seed at CHA, are you saying that's OK too?

Let's compare and you tell me why Gonzaga deserved a # 6 seed.

Gonzaga
RPI - 42
SOS - 157
Gonzaga was 23-1 vs teams with an RPI of 101 or LOWER, including 12-0 vs RPI teams 201 and lower (nearly 1/2 their wins). They had NO wins against teams in the top 50 in the RPI. Of their four wins against teams ranked 50-100, 3 were against the same team. Also, one of their wins was vs a Non D1 team.

Iowa
RPI - 17
SOS - 23
Iowa was 9-8 vs teams in the top 100 RPI, including 3-4 vs top 25, 3-3 vs 26-50 and 3-1 51-100. Iowa was 13-0 vs teams 101 and lower (12-0 vs 101-200 and 1-0 vs 201 and lower).

Gonzaga was seeded where they belong.

My point was not that Iowa did not deserve a 6 seed - I think they did. I just think Gonzaga should have been seeded higher. While I am more familiar with the men's game, I have never seen a team ranked 19th in the final regular season poll get an 11 seed. Why were they ranked 19th if they are only the 41-44 best team in the nation? And they won nearly 20 in a row to end the year. They played a weak schedule, and they dominated those teams as they should have. I would equate them to George Mason on the men's side - not a hard schedule, similar record, and George Mason got an 8 seed I believe. I simply think the Gonzaga women should have been treated similarly.